What else do we all do?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rook13pdx

Reaction score
Always curious what all folks here do? I dig this hobby, but have some others and it's weird what doesn't mix. I'm a "carpet-walker" slacks and collared shirt dude during the day, but fairly blue-collar outside of the salaried hours in the week. Work acquaintances have no interest whatsoever in most anything I do: RC; camping (logging roads, WAY away from civilization); things that go bang; German cars, Toyota 4x4 cars, my 2500 Sierra, auto's and working on them in general, home improvement (renovation, light plumbing, electrical, computer home networking of which I'm terribly novice at but did wire the house last summer). Just recently got some ATV's for the kids.

This hobby is most dissimilar from anyone I know mostly because I spend WAY to much on it. That's my problem, makes for me nearly going into hiding to build up my rig and play with the thing in the shame of a ridiculous toy. It's not like my rig is pristine either, it's probably novice to mid-range in terms of relative build on our forum. Bottom line, I RC on my own. My neighbor is the only dude I know that has an RC, and he had to go get a TRAXXIS that he doesn't much bash at all - when he does it explodes.

Always curious what all folks here do? I dig this hobby, but have some others and it's weird what doesn't mix. I'm a "carpet-walker" slacks and collared shirt dude during the day, but fairly blue-collar outside of the salaried hours in the week. Work acquaintances have no interest whatsoever in most anything I do: RC; camping (logging roads, WAY away from civilization); things that go bang; German cars, Toyota 4x4 cars, my 2500 Sierra, auto's and working on them in general, home improvement (renovation, light plumbing, electrical, computer home networking of which I'm terribly novice at but did wire the house last summer). Just recently got some ATV's for the kids.

This hobby is most dissimilar from anyone I know mostly because I spend WAY to much on it. That's my problem, makes for me nearly going into hiding to build up my rig and play with the thing in the shame of a ridiculous toy. It's not like my rig is pristine either, it's probably novice to mid-range in terms of relative build on our forum. Bottom line, I RC on my own. My neighbor is the only dude I know that has an RC, and he had to go get a TRAXXIS that he doesn't much bash at all - when he does it explodes.
Tell your neighbor to buy a mojave......

I don't have a single friend that knows about my RC hobby but none would be surprised as they all know I like anything electrical. I'm they hookup your stereo system, wire your boat guy in the bunch. They all know me for fishing but have no idea about my love of RC's. I get what youre saying though....people look at them ass toys not a hobby so when you know thats what they thinking it can have a negative effect on you. I'm slowly running out of F's to give about what others think. hahaha RC's are fun and can be enjoyed with family!!!

I'm slowly running out of F's to give about what others think.
Now your on your way to happiness! (y)

I've always needed a creative outlet, whether it was drawing, photography, model building, just tinkering and making stuff. I have worked in advertising, printing, as a graphic artist, etc. I always need something to keep my mind busy, and interested. I love nature, don't get to get away as much as I would like to, but at least RC's get me out doors.

Last edited:
I work in IT, managing support processes in a major help desk, chained to a computer all day. When we lived in an apartment in the city, RC used to be a major outlet for me, but lately it has diminished, as I've grown more interested in working on my property. Three years ago we moved out to the country, and I was excited about being able to do more RC crawling, being closer to trails, woods, etc., and the 1-acre of property we bought even had some promising terrain to play on, but there's so much to do to make the property usable (for RC, or kids' play) that that in itself has become a hobby of sorts. About 1/4 of it is woods, which were full of old bramble growth, and the previous inhabitants had used it as a garbage dump, so I've spent countless hours digging up junk and hauling it up our steep backyard hill, as well as weed whacking and uprooting the brambles. LOTS of work, but rewarding at the same time. This past year I've been wanting to build a lean-to shelter(#bushcraft), where I can escape the noise of my young children and drink my coffee in peace. I still like RC, but working outside is more enjoyable than busting fingers on an RC workbench, and most of my trucks need repairs, so they sit on shelves until I eventually get in the mood to fix them. :rolleyes:

I work in IT, managing support processes in a major help desk, chained to a computer all day. When we lived in an apartment in the city, RC used to be a major outlet for me, but lately it has diminished, as I've grown more interested in working on my property. Three years ago we moved out to the country, and I was excited about being able to do more RC crawling, being closer to trails, woods, etc., and the 1-acre of property we bought even had some promising terrain to play on, but there's so much to do to make the property usable (for RC, or kids' play) that that in itself has become a hobby of sorts. About 1/4 of it is woods, which were full of old bramble growth, and the previous inhabitants had used it as a garbage dump, so I've spent countless hours digging up junk and hauling it up our steep backyard hill, as well as weed whacking and uprooting the brambles. LOTS of work, but rewarding at the same time. This past year I've been wanting to build a lean-to shelter(#bushcraft), where I can escape the noise of my young children and drink my coffee in peace. I still like RC, but working outside is more enjoyable than busting fingers on an RC workbench, and most of my trucks need repairs, so they sit on shelves until I eventually get in the mood to fix them. :rolleyes:
Priorities....good man. But we'll be waiting for pics when all is said and done!(y)

Retired from owning my own landscapeing business,had my hip replaced 2 years ago,so now I drive my wife nuts with all my hobbies, rc cars, building plastic models, fishing, working on my Jeep Cherokee, oh just got a Traeger wood pellet smoker to start smoking the fish I catch and everything else.

Retired from owning my own landscapeing business,had my hip replaced 2 years ago,so now I drive my wife nuts with all my hobbies, rc cars, building plastic models, fishing, working on my Jeep Cherokee, oh just got a Traeger wood pellet smoker to start smoking the fish I catch and everything else.
I love smoking meats! I have a big DIY smoker made from a subway sandwich oven.

I'm a parts guy for the fleet services dept. of a large city. I get parts for, well, everything. Mostly Police vehicles and Garbage trucks. Been doing this for 45 years. Retiring in less than 2 :). Used to race RC cars in the late 80's ( brushed motors and Nicad's ). Tried fixed wing and heli's for a while, but that never really took off for me :rolleyes:, so a couple years ago I got back into cars. Got a Senton 3s first, then a Redcat crawler. I told my wife it seemed I'm either at work, working at home with chores, or working on our cabin up north. Rc lets me think about something else for a while.

I'm a parts guy for the fleet services dept. of a large city. I get parts for, well, everything. Mostly Police vehicles and Garbage trucks. Been doing this for 45 years. Retiring in less than 2 :). Used to race RC cars in the late 80's ( brushed motors and Nicad's ). Tried fixed wing and heli's for a while, but that never really took off for me :rolleyes:, so a couple years ago I got back into cars. Got a Senton 3s first, then a Redcat crawler. I told my wife it seemed I'm either at work, working at home with chores, or working on our cabin up north. Rc lets me think about something else for a while.
Come on 2 years!!! (y)

I'm a Maintenance/Equipment Engineer at a commercial solar panel manufacturer and have almost no hobbies with a wife and 3 kids. Haha. Mostly just try to keep my head above water with all of the house projects and kids events. I would say my most consistent hobby is drinking craft beers. Cheers!

Tell your neighbor to buy a mojave......
Haha totally. At this point, I have nearly a second rig after all the aftermarket stuff I've bot. I've got a 1/4" chassis that I really like, but I might just give him my original OEM Notorious chassis and all of the other stuff I'm not using to come on board the ARRMA train.

I don't have a single friend that knows about my RC hobby but none would be surprised as they all know I like anything electrical.
Neither do I.

....people look at them ass toys not a hobby so when you know thats what they thinking it can have a negative effect on you. I'm slowly running out of F's to give about what others think. hahaha RC's are fun and can be enjoyed with family!!!
It's not so much that I give a F, just that they aren't into it. It's like me talking about municipal finance to my camping buddies, they don't care. lol.

Three years ago we moved out to the country, and I was excited about being able to do more RC crawling, being closer to trails, woods, etc., and the 1-acre of property we bought even had some promising terrain to play on, but there's so much to do to make the property usable (for RC, or kids' play) that that in itself has become a hobby of sorts. :rolleyes:
So awesome. That might be next up for me, get some property to run some quads, dirtbikes, RC.

Pretty cool hearing about all this. Oh yeah... I should have totally said craft beers too. Great comment @419RC!!! Pelican Brewing is pretty big now, not so much craft brewing (or is it??? IDK) but if you ever get to try some Beak Breaker IPA, definitely try it out.

Oh yeah... I should have totally said craft beers too. Great comment @419RC!!! Pelican Brewing is pretty big now, not so much craft brewing (or is it??? IDK) but if you ever get to try some Beak Breaker IPA, definitely try it out.

I have never heard of that. Im in Ohio and recently our craft beer distributors have been disappearing. My favorite breweries are Great Divide, Maumee Bay (local to me), Great Lakes (also local), Jolly Pumpkin (also local, sour beers), Avery, and Dog Fish Head. I have a few bottles of 120 minute ale waiting for me.

Ill be drinking this this weekend. https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/30/361263/

I have a lot of hobbies I think. RC, video games, atv and snowmobile riding (this one is becoming like rc, I’ve got two now hahah) hunting, outdoor hiking, walking my dogs, cooking. Here there is a small group of rc enthusiasts we have a pretty good outdoor track right beside the motocross track. Those guys helped build it with their equipment and some have got into the hobby seeing it.

RC was an easy hobby to love, I’m a gear head, I’ve owned some cool cars and trucks, I wrench for a living on the largest diesel and diesel generated electric powered mining equipment in the world mostly Caterpillar and Komatsu. So a lot of what I love about rc is tinkering and wrenching on them. i like to tear them down and fix and repair them back to same or better. I’d say I like working on them a bit more then driving haha at this point it seems. Good thing because we get a long cold winter rc is almost impossible most days during winter season. I picked up a Tekno ET48 2.0 kit to build over the winter and I do all my upgrading then as well. Spring, summer and fall is for driving them!

I have a lot of hobbies I think. RC, video games, atv and snowmobile riding (this one is becoming like rc, I’ve got two now hahah) hunting, outdoor hiking, walking my dogs, cooking.

RC was an easy hobby to love, I’m a gear head, I’ve owned some cool cars and trucks, I wrench for a living on the largest diesel and diesel generated electric powered mining equipment in the world mostly Caterpillar and Komatsu.
Not fishing?!?!?!?!?!?! I love fishing!

I am the North American IT Technology manager for a company you all know if named it....you all wear a lot of our shoes and clothing you see the logo everywhere! 49, two girls age 24 and 22 out for the house since college...one crashes there every so often then leaves. So, just the wife and I. Covid-19 pushed me into this hobby in 2000 until then I spent my money on nothing. Wife is happy to see me enjoying the hobby I am a tech/engineer my nature.

Outside of this I spend time mentoring men in prison which I have done for years, young boys, outreach coaching and Christian counseling. I had a jail record and a hard way to make a life so it's important to me to show others who have a record or felony on them...it's possible to make it to Corp level or any level or own business, I beat the odds. But it takes hard ass work....it can be done.

Played tennis as youth won lots of junior championship also ran track and cross country all as a young adult. All I do today is tennis and jog. Still can run a 8min mile at 49 but not a 5min one when I was younger and I still run 5k each morning MWF during week.

Love chatting and learning from all you here. Thankful to have the time and money to play and a wife that is open to let me enjoy it 😉

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back