X-Maxx owners - what motor and gearing do you run?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m not getting the wheel speed I want for flips and am curious what other people use. Thanks.
On my XMaxx I use gpm 35t mod 1.5 spur, hot racing 20t pinion, m2c motor mount,hobbywing 1100kv 5687g1 motor, max 6 v3 motor(get the g2 if you get a max 6), and use m2c drive cup braces. Mine goes about 60mph I believe. Stock tires. I need to get better tires. I have enough power and speed for flips, I just haven’t tried any yet.

I've found tires really make a major difference with the xmaxx. That and where you're jumping, with ramps being really nice. My xmaxx sucks at the bmx spot with the uneven jumps. If I get any rear end kick up with lighter tires like the outcast 8s exb v1 tires I can't correct out of it. Same tires with my ramp and I can flip and correct out of anything that happens.

Made me really like the proline trenchers and mx43 on there when I'm going to bmx spot. Increased weight sure but if I can correct out of damn near anything then it's worth it because I'm automatically not having as many bad landings.

TP 5660 1460kv - smallest motor I have in an 8s rig :ROFLMAO:
Max 5
27/54 Mod 1

I've found tires really make a major difference with the xmaxx. That and where you're jumping, with ramps being really nice. My xmaxx sucks at the bmx spot with the uneven jumps. If I get any rear end kick up with lighter tires like the outcast 8s exb v1 tires I can't correct out of it. Same tires with my ramp and I can flip and correct out of anything that happens.

Made me really like the proline trenchers and mx43 on there when I'm going to bmx spot. Increased weight sure but if I can correct out of damn near anything then it's worth it because I'm automatically not having as many bad landings.

Max 5
27/54 Mod 1
Thanks. Stock fluid in the center diff or something thicker?

Thanks. Stock fluid in the center diff or something thicker?
I'm actually not 100% sure as I bought my xmaxx from someone here and I can't remember if it was stock or 500k or whatever. If I had to guess I'd say it was stock though.

Just ordered this bad boy for my X-Maxx Ultimate!!

N21-RC-Motor-High-Speed-DC-3-7-V-7-4-V-Gro-e-Drehmoment-Carbon.jpg

Last edited:
Just ordered this bad boy for my X-Maxx Ultimate!!

View attachment 348136
Outta get some killer runtime with some 10ah batteries..like for days!!👌😜🍻

Max 5
27/54 Mod 1
I agree, while I don't have any heavier tires myself, I can see the difference in my bro's belted six-pack equipped Xmaxx that even with stock electronics it rotates much better than my stocker on 8s BF'S or TRX tires. Tires is likely the single biggest change we can make for air control. Of course mo powa and wheel speed will enhance the effects.

Last edited:
View attachment 348195
Stock motor, max6g2, 18/46 gears. Third run on that set of tires. Think I might go back up to 20/50 and mx43 beadlocks. We usually send it pretty big
The stock tires don't last long once gearing up. 8s BF'S do hold better, not gonna help air control though, about the same I think.
Same for the gearing you mentioned, there's very little difference between 18/46 and 20/50.

The stock tires don't last long once gearing up. 8s BF'S do hold better, not gonna help air control though, about the same I think.
Same for the gearing you mentioned, there's very little difference between 18/46 and 20/50.
I think anything is better than the stock traxxas tires. Three runs and they turn into confetti

I think anything is better than the stock traxxas tires. Three runs and they turn into confetti
Agreed. I do like the handling and traction of the stock tires. They just don't last for me either. I keep forgetting that there are 2 versions of 8s BF'S now.. SB and BB. The BB may be slightly better for stunting. Both are lightweights compared to MX43'S though.

Can the stock motor handle those heavy mx43 tires?
I think so, with appropriate gearing. Underwhelming I'd bet. Steering servo will cry uncle for sure, LOL.

I was considering the bfs with the m2c wide kit as well.
I have the WFO steel stubs w/10mm extended hubs running SB 8s BF's. The wheels still rub the lower front arms and steer links. +15mm is really the minimum offset needed for the BF's. Mine have been chewing away for almost 2 years now, no big deal, LOL.

Last edited:
Back