What is a good radio to use for bashing/racing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeachMeCars

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Talion
Looking to buy a radio and receivers so I can get rid of all my extra radios. What is a good option that I won't have to upgrade in the future?

I'm going to have a second radio just for my crawlers unless there is some reason I shouldn't.

Budget is $350 for the radio and one receiver. I will pony up the money for extra receivers down the line.

There are some interesting choices out of China. I have been looking at the Gt3c and Noble from flysky. I'd watch some you tube on them to see if they are right for you but they have lots of features and low cost receivers. Maybe someone on here can vouch for them.

Looking to buy a radio and receivers so I can get rid of all my extra radios. What is a good option that I won't have to upgrade in the future?

I'm going to have a second radio just for my crawlers unless there is some reason I shouldn't.

Budget is $350 for the radio and one receiver. I will pony up the money for extra receivers down the line.
With a budget like that I'm going to assume you're looking for more than a basic radio system. Without a doubt I would highly recommend looking at the Futaba product line.

I have a Futaba 4PL (now replaced by the Futaba 4PLS) which is an amazing radio and one I don't see myself replacing anytime soon. Another one that's really worth looking at would be the Futaba 4PV.

I've used a number of different radios in my time and nothing comes close to the Futaba I have now. The range is insane. It's extremely comfortable to hold and hold for a long time. It light, but if you add a LiPo/LiFe battery it's lighter still and the battery life lasts a VERY long time. Having 4 channels if nice if you want to add additional things to your RC's like lights or into crawling to control any number of things.

I been using the spektrum dx5 rugged. 30 bucks for a 2 channel receiver and 60 for a 5 channel if need for a crawler. Has nice rubber guards around it and if you drop it it will be ok.

On a budget, the FlySky GT5 is a very good option.

The next step up would be the Sanwa MT-S radio system. It goes for $199.99 and is an awesome radio that is highly touted by the racing community.

Brian

I can't wait to hear your feedback on the 4PV when you get it. Please be sure to update this thread after you've had time to set it up and use it!
Oh I will! I'm excited to try out telemetry.

Managed to setup the radio in my granite over the weekend. The stock servo started giving me issues after changing the receiver, but that could very well have been user error. Still not completely sure. The features on this radio are great! There are a few that have come in handy immediately.

Reversing throttle and steering: After putting in the new receiver, throttle and steering were reversed for some reason. Easy fix with the new radio.

Sub-trim adjustments: I had trouble getting everything lined up when installing the new servo. Normal trim settings couldn't fix it. Good thing there was sub-trim settings that allowed me to fix it. Really like this feature for that reason.

Model memory: Once I get more receivers I will easily be able to switch between cars with the same radio... very exciting

I know these settings are extremely common on radios that don't come with a car, but they have been great little things to have. Once I get some telemetry sensors I will update with how those work. I am probably going to start with a voltage sensor so I can change batteries right around storage charge voltage. There are definitely some features that will go to waste for me, but I am extremely impressed so far. The grip is great out of the box. The wheel is the best I've gotten my hands on. The menus are easy to navigate and understand. The stick used to navigate the menus is great and (mostly) only does what you want it to. My fingers are big so every once in awhile I would accidentally move it when trying to click. The buttons that control the channels, trim, etc. are also very nice. The extra channels will come in handy when I start getting deeper into scale, trail trucks with lights and all that jazz.

One question- I saw castle has some sort of telemetry sensors that work with futaba radios. If I got a castle motor and esc for my crawler, could I get their sensor and avoid the futaba ones? Not sure exactly how that works.

those are the old models. The new ones have no bind plug. You just hold the button it down and it binds right up. No antenna either.
Meh for $17 I can put a jumper in the receiver and use an antenna tube.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back