Radio unit for good range.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Radiolink RC6GS V2 has a range of around 1900 feet, and costs around $90 with one receiver. It can run up to 30 vehicles, and additional receivers are less than $20. I have an older V2 version, and I have 10 vehicles paired to it.

I got a Flysky G7P, it's 7 channel. SVC (gyro) based receivers, 600+ meters (2 antenna on each receiver). Bought it from AliExpress for under $70 came with 2 of the receivers. Got it in weeks from purchase date and came in perfect condition. Do a couple of vid reviews, might be what you might be interested in.

I have the RC6GS v3 which gives me 300 meter range, after that it gets "laggy" with latency. 90€
To get better range for FPV I bought the Radiomaster MT12 with ELRS protocol. 130€ +25€ Gyro. ELRS has the best affordable range on the surface market to date. But the Radiolink v3 is cheaper and has a gyro in the receiver.

I'm not sure. But I have a Infraction 6s. The stock radio is good for 2km or 1.2 miles, from the website specs.

Real world testing puts Spektrum at like 600 feet. Most seasoned vets to the hobby know that Spektrum is usually near the bottom of the list when it comes to range.

1710025869183.png

I have the RC6GS v3 which gives me 300 meter range, after that it gets "laggy" with latency. 90€
To get better range for FPV I bought the Radiomaster MT12 with ELRS protocol. 130€ +25€ Gyro. ELRS has the best affordable range on the surface market to date. But the Radiolink v3 is cheaper and has a gyro in the receiver.
Apparently there is just no way to beat the range of those new Radiomasters. But, for a “conventional” radio with a decent gyro, the RadioLink RC6GS-V3 is hands down the best for range. Over 600 meters, and you can’t even see the car at half that distance. Plus, as @morrjr71 said, additional receivers are cheap. The adjustment and menu options are also top notch.
I’ll eventually try a RadioMaster, but for now the RadioLink is my go-to transmitter.

Real world testing puts Spektrum at like 600 feet. Most seasoned vets to the hobby know that Spektrum is usually near the bottom of the list when it comes to range.

View attachment 353589
Yeah I was looking at AIR. My bad. Glad you got that, I didn't know.

Apparently there is just no way to beat the range of those new Radiomasters. But, for a “conventional” radio with a decent gyro, the RadioLink RC6GS-V3 is hands down the best for range. Over 600 meters, and you can’t even see the car at half that distance. Plus, as @morrjr71 said, additional receivers are cheap. The adjustment and menu options are also top notch.
I’ll eventually try a RadioMaster, but for now the RadioLink is my go-to transmitter.
I love my Radiolink, really want to get the new V3 as I only have the V2 which is limited to 10 models :(

I love my Radiolink, really want to get the new V3 as I only have the V2 which is limited to 10 models :(
I can’t remember what else was updated, but the V3’s also have a couple more bells and whistles. I just got my first V3, but it’s not out of the box yet.

If you are only getting 300M, something is wrong
I ran out of models on my V2, so I bought a V3 for my Infraction 6s. I might move my other vehicles over to the new transmitter, but opening up ten receiver boxes to hit the bind button doesn't appeal to me right now.

If you are only getting 300M, something is wrong
Agreed. Both antennas should be out of the body, and not near motor or ESC wires. If shrouded by carbon fiber your range will also be limited. 300m is literally half of what you should be getting IF you’re using an R7FG receiver. The smaller single antenna R4’s have a little less range, but still better than 300m.

I do agree with you, since I also hoped to get better range. Maybe just because I drove FPV.

Had about the same "reliable" range with 2x R7FG and a R8FG receiver. 300meters was the range where I got uncomfortable driving FPV since the delay got noticable. So max range was more than 300meters I just did not test that.

Maybe the DJI FPV system interfered with the radio links signal🤔

Mounted the antennas as high as I could and I had them in 90° degree to one another and also both straight. The radiolink also shows the signal strength (30 when close by and the lower the signal the higher the number gets), and at 300meters my signal alarm would not go off, so more range was possible.
But the inconsistent delay of my steering and throttle inputs scared me off I guess😂

I do agree with you, since I also hoped to get better range. Maybe just because I drove FPV.

Had about the same "reliable" range with 2x R7FG and a R8FG receiver. 300meters was the range where I got uncomfortable driving FPV since the delay got noticable. So max range was more than 300meters I just did not test that.

Maybe the DJI FPV system interfered with the radio links signal🤔

Mounted the antennas as high as I could and I had them in 90° degree to one another and also both straight. The radiolink also shows the signal strength (30 when close by and the lower the signal the higher the number gets), and at 300meters my signal alarm would not go off, so more range was possible.
But the inconsistent delay of my steering and throttle inputs scared me off I guess😂

It even could have been radio interference from something else too.

It even could have been radio interference from something else too.
For sure. I wonder if the FPV did perhaps interfere? I’ve no experience at all with it, and probably never will. BUT…FPV with one of those new RadioMaster transmitters might be awesome. I do enjoy watching the fast RC’s with FPV videos, I definitely get the cool factor.

Dang! The TQi does much better than I would have thought!
I still stand behind my statement that the Traxxas TQi is probably one of the best ready to run radios on the market. Name another ready to run radio that has optional telemetry, an optional phone mount that isn't made by some random person making 3d printed parts(that might not even be around next week) Bluetooth and memory for 40 models.

I’d hop on that train and say the TQ is pretty darn good too. Super basic. But I have like 3 of them and my oldest is running and it’s almost 5 years old

Back