Typhon What is going on with ARRMA??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fastrak5150

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Second Typhon now. Both first run failures... First one the receiver died, having no throttle or steering finally found out it was dead. First run 15 min tops. Second (replacement) the motor came loose on the first run 20min run time dirt track nothing wild. Is this normal? wouldn't they thread lock the motor? Anyway obviously chewed a bunch of stuff up moving around FML

^^^
These rigs are NSRTR. (Not So Ready to Run) As you have learned. We all been through this.
Don't expect most Brand RTR's to be fine out the box. Need to spend much time on a new RTR rig, going over everything first. All screws etc. Check the diffs for fluid in them. Many are dry or low on oil. You are not alone. Essentially, expect to rebuild it out the box. You may uncover many surprises. Preventing potential failures.
Electrics are a mixed bag also. The Arrma 2 year warranty covers you there. I think HH understands there is very little QC with their products. It allows them to keep a competitive price point edge in the RC surface market.
You also have to consider where, how and by whom, is actually building these Arrma products unfortunately. Somewhere In there, is your answer.
I figured it out. Some things we have no control over. Accept that it is what it is.:cool:

Last edited:
I am a kit builder at heart. So I always rebuilt any RTR's out the box. I enjoy building first and foremost.
My first Arrma an OC6s was a mess. I learned real quick about RTR's.
6 Arrma 6s rigs later, I take my time rebuilding most by sub assembly. Yeah it may take me a week or more to get bashing. But there are no short cuts here. Most new to this stuff, just want to bash. Immediate gratitification out the box is what people want. Like a kid with a new toy. Opens it, throws the batteries in, tosses the manual to the side with the box and goes bashing like all the YTubers do.
These are Hobby grade rigs and wrenching is all part of the the hobby. Get familiar with your rig out the box. Start wrenching right away with all the Proper tools in hand. Don't wait til it breaks to consider tools, shock and diff oils etc., that you will need on hand. You will be doing it anyway. Start learning right out the box. Less frustration in the long term.

^^^ That's for show dammit. Fooled you again.:ROFLMAO:
It's there for us to see.
Means nothing at the factory. Except another job position for a young laborer to place the QC sticker there. hundereds by the second. These rigs are assembled super fast. State run factories. Poor unskilled labor conditions.
And Amazon workers think they have it bad.:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I was told once to treat all R2R like kit break it down and build it back up so u know that all is good. Kinda sucks but won't have second problem. First one you couldn't help
Always a good idea to check any rig outta the box.....a roller or rtr.....good lists of what to check are found elsewhere on this forum......some more extensive than others.....
I am a kit builder at heart. So I always rebuilt any RTR's out the box. I enjoy building first and foremost.
6 Arrma 6s rigs later, I take my time rebuilding most by sub assembly. Yeah it may take me a week or more to get bashing. But there are no short cuts here. Most new to this stuff, just want to bash. Immediate gratitification out the box is what people want. Like a kid with a new toy. Opens it, throws the batteries in, tosses the manual to the side with the box and goes bashing like all the YTubers do.
These are Hobby grade rigs and wrenching is all part of the the hobby. Get familiar with your rig out the box. Start wrenching right away with all the Proper tools in hand. Don't wait til it breaks to consider tools, shock and diff oils etc., that you will need on hand. You will be doing it anyway. Start learning right out the box. Less frustration in the long term.

Animated GIF

Wise is the one who these words follow

^^^
These rigs are NSRTR. (Not So Ready to Run) As you have learned. We all been through this.
Don't expect most Brand RTR's to be fine out the box. Need to spend much time on a new RTR rig, going over everything first. All screws etc. Check the diffs for fluid in them. Many are dry or low on oil. You are not alone. Essentially, expect to rebuild it out the box. You may uncover many surprises. Preventing potential failures.
Electrics are a mixed bag also. The Arrma 2 year warranty covers you there. I think HH understands there is very little QC with their products. It allows them to keep a competitive price point edge in the RC surface market.
You also have to consider where, how and by whom, is actually building these Arrma products unfortunately. Somewhere In there, is your answer.
I figured it out. Some things we have no control over. Accept that it is what it is.:cool:
I've never bought a rtr that was made right. I've had to repair all of them.

Thanks for all the reply’s and definitely will be going through this one!

I have had the opposite experience of some people in this thread. Out of a dozen or so RTR R/Cs I have never encountered a QC issue more severe than excessive use of threadlocker. I do break them down to check everything out but from a pragmatic perspective this has been largely a waste of time. I'm generally impressed by how well the factory workers are able to put them together when they're obviously rushing to meet quotas.

I still recommend rebuilding them out of the box if you have the skills and experience to do it properly, and there are plenty of horror stories out there that should motivate you to do so.

I have had the opposite experience of some people in this thread. Out of a dozen or so RTR R/Cs I have never encountered a QC issue more severe than excessive use of threadlocker. I do break them down to check everything out but from a pragmatic perspective this has been largely a waste of time. I'm generally impressed by how well the factory workers are able to put them together when they're obviously rushing to meet quotas.

I still recommend rebuilding them out of the box if you have the skills and experience to do it properly, and there are plenty of horror stories out there that should motivate you to do so.
It also helps you to familiarize yourself with the car.

Back when.. kits were the ONLY way to get a hobby grade rc.. I miss those days!!
Not to detract from what's on the market today, as Arrma makes a great rig, but it would be even better in kit form IMO.

Second Typhon now. Both first run failures... First one the receiver died, having no throttle or steering finally found out it was dead. First run 15 min tops. Second (replacement) the motor came loose on the first run 20min run time dirt track nothing wild. Is this normal? wouldn't they thread lock the motor? Anyway obviously chewed a bunch of stuff up moving around FML
is your profile pic an ap1 s2k?

I agree with ^

I am pretty critical of stuff in general, but I have to say I am impressed with Arrma vehicles for what you get for the price.

With that said, I am addicted to modding and tinkering, i just can't leave things stock. I treat all my RCs like rollers. Even if they come with electronics I remove and sell the stock stuff prior to first run, so maybe that improves reliability a bit? I also spend too much time reading this forum and spot check for issues (loose screws, diff shims etc...) but i have yet to find one of those common issues on my rigs.

In fact, the only issues i have had on an RC (that weren't caused by me smashing into something) were a burned out stock servo and a tire that came unglued and shredded on the first run and both of those were on my X-maxx, so go Arrma?

Back when.. kits were the ONLY way to get a hobby grade rc.. I miss those days!!
Not to detract from what's on the market today, as Arrma makes a great rig, but it would be even better in kit form IMO.
Seems like HH is more interested in the bottom line.. common theme unfortunately.

Sales would dwindle or running a hobby shop would be the business to be in. You would need a full time team dedicated to building kits...

I would also prefer kits.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back