what requirements do you have for batteries?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcxlfjhe

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fazon
  2. Granite
  3. Senton 6s
  4. Talion
Guys, could you let me know what the requirements for batteries? ;););)
pls list the batteries you use for which car, and what kind of batteries(include capacity, discharge rate, connector, and more) you will prefer?

FYI, I always find that some guys like change the connector, but the arrma connector is IC/EC5, right? why don't just buy a battery with IC5 or EC5?

Of 22 packs That I currently have I have about 8 types. A tall list.
I like and use XT90's. Arrma used them on their 6S rigs for quite awhile before the EC5's/IC5's, so I stayed with them. I order lipos based on price. If I find a great deal on a very good lipo and it has another connector, I just solder an XT90 onto it. I have bags of them. And connectors wear out. I replace with fresh ones as needed. I even change New ESC connectors over to Xt90's. EC5's are ok also. Just that when you start collecting lipos with one type, you stay with them. Thats all. If starting out new, just accept and use the EC5's. But I find them more difficult to solder and work with. Thats just me.:cool:

I understand your concerns regarding wanting Hardcase Lipos. Thats a personal call. I like gens-ace-r-spam, Max amps, etc and others., i will try them out. Its the luck of the draw sometimes. And what will work for some will not for others. Care of lipos is relative to this. And Lipos can get quite expensive.
To each his own wallet. I am not a hardcase only guy. I feel softcase just opens you up to so many more options. As of late I have invested in Yoowoo Graphene packs. 3s/5000mah. They have run great in my Speed runners. Not that I am even hitting 100mph. I don't have the space for that. But I am very happy with them. Cells balance out fine and Internal resistance is good. They say 100C on the label. Are they true 100C and graphene?. Who really knows. All these lipos are outsourced and hard to really control. The Yoowoos had a great price point when I got them. I tried a pair and had to buy 4 more afterwards. I would rather test out one lipo before I buy a slew of them. The Yoowoos are made well. But they are softpack and may throw some hardpack only guys off. Yoowoo also makes HRB lipos a known good lipo. HRB's seem to look like similar quality construction. I generally don't recommend lipo's because everyone with experience has their favorites. I just don't have one specific favorite. I price shop also. Sometimes I may find a deal on gens-ace-r-spam or Tattu lipos (same brand). Make sure your dimensions of the battery tray match the same for the lipo and you are good. Get the correct matching connector for your ESC, don't use adapters except at the charger. Sometimes I may find an incredible deal on a lipo but it only comes with a connector I cant use. I use XT90 for example. I will still buy the lipo and solder on XT90 connectors. Not all will want to do this or are able to. I get that. But I try to be flexible and I find better prices this way. China Hobby Line (CHL) lipo is also a good brand. I could go on and on. There are many AF threads on lipos. just make sure you find the C rating you need and the capacity in Mah that works for your rig. and its size is correct. Focus on hardcase if that suits also.
I feel Hardcase was just a ROAR spec requirement for RC racing initially. But for bashing may afford more protection??? Maybe, maybe not. I don't see a difference. I've had Hardcase lipos crack open before. I find that Hardcase usually cost more, and not necessarily because they are a better performing lipo. But they can be. Good luck.

Very limited here but I’ll chime in.
I own six 4S lipos all the same.

7200mah
70C discharge
IC5/EC5
Kraton 8s, Losi DBXL.

cheers,
kev

Kind of hard to give a good answer as a lot comes down to preference. I have a 3s rig and 2 6s rigs so I buy 3s batteries. Can use in both rigs and a pair of 3s batteries are typically cheaper than one 6s pack. C rating as I've seen/read is pretty much a bunch of BS as almost every battery tested did not even give 80% of the actual C rating. All my rigs are IC5/EC5 but as you will come to find just for that connection again costs more than say a dean's plug battery and a bag of connections to change it yourself. So I buy cheaper batteries and change out the connectors as it saves money in the long run. Again it is all preference, if you don't want to solder and don't mind an extra $10+ for the battery with IC5/EC5 so be it. If you don't mind soldering and want to save money buy the cheaper battery and change connection. mAh and C rating again are preference depending on driving style ie if you do speed runs you want a higher C rating, if you want longer run times you want a higher mAh etc.

6 6s all hrb 6000 mah bashing batteries came with Dean's I put ec5 on them saved me about $7 a battery doing that

2 3s 5000 election pro 50c ec5 same thing came with deans.

1 3s 7600 electron pro 50c came with ec5

1 2s 5200 election pro 50c xt60 for motor anylizer

3 2s 850mah ec3 mini t 2.0
I keep everything simple just easier that way. I find cheap deals online usually Dean's connectors. Just works that way and buy wholesale ec5 and switch everything over.

Short version:
With packs, I now stay with 40C+ and 5000mah capacity. Just seems to be a safe area to be for what I do.

Long version... :)
Definitely a mixed bag here... more due to new packs/brands coming out or becoming aware of them.
Started with SMC 2S 7200-9000mah to run 4S in my ERBEv1. Then got a stampede 4x4 and ran a single 2S in those, same packs. Then a savage flux hp, ran 4S in it like my ERBEv1. Ran SMC 2S 7200-7400 packs for a couple years due to the lighter weight vs the 9000's I started with. Easier on the trucks to have less weight.

When I started 3S/6S, I shopped around. SMC didn't have any in stock that would fit all my trucks. So I made some 3S out of my old 2S packs for my stampede and bought hobbystar 6200mah 3S 50C packs for the outcast. Then converted my ERBEv1 to a v2 to run 6S. The 6200's were a tight fit in it and heavy for it's suspension, so got some hrb 5000mah 50C. They fit both trucks well. Also started 6S in the savage (after some serious regearing). The 6200's or 5000's fit all 3 of my trucks, but the 5k's fit better and were lighter.

Then I ran across CNHL's. For the money, their 5000mah 65C packs seemed hard to beat.

Then I heard about liperior's... bought 2 of their 65C's, but they were heavy/thick, too much for my ERBEv2 battery compartments. But the price was right and they seemed to perform/charge/store fine. So I doubled down and got 4 of their 45C 5000mah 3S packs. They fit the ERBEv2 much better and if they hold up for a year of abuse, liperior is where I'll stay for a while. They are very cheap, built well and so far, perform well.

2020-0929-myLiposStacked.jpg

I started with traxxas connectors on everything. Hated soldering them and they liked to pop apart. A guy I met who ran a v2 talion had XT90's. They looked easier to solder and seemed to hold together well. Also, the plugs were larger and easier for my arthritic hands to grasp/pull apart. So after 2 years of TRX plugs, I switched to XT90's on every truck, every pack and every charger. 1/8th or 1/10th... 3S or 6S, it's got xt90's now.

Back