Here’s why you should always inspect your batteries!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also, if you buy a used RC, immediately check the battery and wiring. Prior to purchase if possible. I've purchased 2 off ebay, unseen, at separate times. They still had the lipo connected, one was still powered up and both had puffed lipos. Very puffed. Both were posted in the mail.

The ad for this one didn't even say it came with a lipo. I'm guessing the seller didn't know it still had one in it. The esc was still connected without a power switch.
View attachment 340674View attachment 340675
View attachment 340676
View attachment 340678

Oh man thats crazy! You can get in a lot of trouble shipping Lithium batteries and not telling them. Here's the exact reason why....
They don't want thier post offices or vehicles on fire and that's completely fair!

Looking forward to solid state batteries. They should mute most of the problems we are currently having with Li-Ion.
Same. That’s what I’ve been waiting for. Probably be a while for the technology to trickle down into RC, but it’ll be a huge step up.

Also, if you buy a used RC, immediately check the battery and wiring. Prior to purchase if possible. I've purchased 2 off ebay, unseen, at separate times. They still had the lipo connected, one was still powered up and both had puffed lipos. Very puffed. Both were posted in the mail.

The ad for this one didn't even say it came with a lipo. I'm guessing the seller didn't know it still had one in it. The esc was still connected without a power switch.
View attachment 340676
View attachment 340678
That lipo looks like it's from circa 2010.:rolleyes:
Looking forward to solid state batteries. They should mute most of the problems we are currently having with Li-Ion.
Likewise. I can't wait myself.....
Just that it will take years to trickle down to our RC's. IMHO.
ESC's will have to be redesigned as well.
:giggle:

View attachment 340676
View attachment 340678
What were the ir readings? They might still be good? 'lil duct tape and it should be good 2 go,no?🤪😬🤣

View attachment 340676
View attachment 340678
1704391784799.png

That lipo looks like it's from circa 2010.:rolleyes:
That'll be about right.
What were the ir readings?
I know you're joking but I didn't test the IR. I did test the state of charge I think it was almost completely drained. Although It didn't sound like it. I remember that once I managed to open the battery compartment, the battery started making all sorts of popping sounds as it expanded. The lid had been holding it back. Ticking time bomb.

Last edited:
That "pop pop", is your only warning. Luckily you are nearby to hear it. Better have a plan of evacuation dude. White smoke oozing out and its probably already too late.:cautious:
The lipo needs to be quickly tossed out of your home and away from any combustibles. Thermal Runaway is no joke. A Barby close by is always one option. At least for me. I have a SS bucket nearby my Charger to carry it out fast. I should keep more sand in it. I been there. A nearby window is always a last resort, if you are still able to toss it.
You don't want this in your home. A major fail. This below was my Zeee 6s brick, fully charged, after it started to Pop pop. I intentionally punctured it to make it safe. I didn't want a ticking time bomb laying around. Full charged, they are most volitile.

1704400577064.jpeg

1704400628882.jpeg

Last edited:
That "pop pop", is your only warning. Luckily you are nearby to hear it. Better have a plan of evacuation dude.
The lipo needs to be quickly tossed out of your home and away from any combustibles. Thermal Runaway is no joke. A Barby close by is always one option. At least for me. I have a SS bucket nearby my Charger to carry it out fast. I should keep more sand in it. I been there. A nearby window is always a last resort, if you are still able to toss it.
It was February last year but yes, it was removed from the RC in my shed, then tossed outside in the sand, asap. It didn't actually react anymore after that initial action, even after I put a direct short in it. I ensured it was completely free of energy before I disposed of it.

That'll be about right.

I know your joking but I didn't test the IR. I did test the state of charge I think it was almost completely drained. Although It didn't sound like it. I remember that once I managed to open the battery compartment, the battery started making all sorts of popping sounds as it expanded. The lid had been holding it back. Ticking time bomb.
Oh for sure I was joking. Scary indeed.
A few years back a buddy of mine's father passed away. Guess he was an avid 1/10 dirt track racer, wish I'd known, was a nice fella I remembered from childhood. Anyway, he left behind some random rc stuff that my buddy had no use for. So he gifted to me. There's a cf pan car chassis that still had a 2s lipo, along with another loose lipo and 6 nicad in the box..the lipos looked pretty much just as the one you shared. Good god, your so lucky it didn't burn ur house down I told my buddy. I kept them as keepsakes.. 😉🤣
Kidding of course. Lipo are no joke, I'm just a smarta$$ that can't help but be one.

Last edited:
We all know about "puffy batteries"...but, that one takes the cake by a loooooooong shot. How could the seller not have realized there was a battery inside, especially when he/she was packing it for shipping???
My guess..didn't care, or stupid..scary just the same.

Probably didn't care. There's some real winners out there.
Not sure why a seller...ANY seller..."wouldn't care". If the package goes "up in flames" while shipping (we all know how 'careful' (cough, cough) carriers are with packages...lol), not only would the seller have to refund the purchase price, and have 'nothing' in the end, but the seller could find himself/herself in a bit of legal trouble (even more so if the package wasn't labeled as containing batteries). I've sold/shipped a few RCs over the years (most recently, a ProMarine Skater X2), and I always make certain everything is packed safely, and properly labeled (if necessary), as the law requires.

A couple years ago, I purchased a sport hydro class boat from Don Ferrette (anyone involved in RC boat racing probably knows the name), to which batteries were included. Not only were all four batteries individually wrapped (outside of the hull), but each was also in its own individual LiPo bag. I do an extremely good job of packing, and I am never worried about any kind of damage to what's 'inside' a shipping box (unless the carrier demolishes the package)...but, I have to admit, that was the best darn packing job I've ever seen.

Good information, especially for people new to the hobby.

I store my lipo's in a lipo bag inside a sealed ammo can. My thought is the bag might help to mitigate a fire and a lack of oxygen from the sealed can might do the same. Someone mentioned above they remov the seal from their ammo can to prevent shrapnel in case of a fire.

I thought the way I was doing it would be safe, but maybe not. Any thoughts on this?

I store my lipo's in a lipo bag inside a sealed ammo can. My thought is the bag might help to mitigate a fire and a lack of oxygen from the sealed can might do the same. Someone mentioned above they remov the seal from their ammo can to prevent shrapnel in case of a fire.

I thought the way I was doing it would be safe, but maybe not. Any thoughts on this?
Yep, remove the seal or at least a good portion of it. Lipo fires are runaway chemical reaction, very rapid, so pressure building inside a sealed container could blow it apart. My ammo boxes have the seal removed from the front and 3/4 down each side. I charge mine using a Bat Safe box because it has filters for smoke in case of a lipo fire and most lipo fires happen while battery is charging/discharging or in use. I have a deep stainless boiler pan in the cabinet next to the Bat-Safe and ammo cans so I can get it outside ASAP if anything goes wrong.

Most of us will be lucky enough to never experience a lipo fire, but the severity of consequences should one happen without safeguards in place makes the precautions worthwhile.

The comment you are referring to could have been mine, or someone else's. I know, several people (myself, included) have mentioned using ammo cans. Leaving the ammo can lids seal entirely is a BAD thing. Yes, the lack of oxygen could help "snuff out" a fire...but, it could also lead the can to exploding - not as dangerous as a grenade or claymore mine, but still dangerous. Because the latch is at the front, a leave the front part of the rubber seal, and remove the sides & rear. This way, oxygen is 'limited', but there's no complete seal. At the same time, having left the seal at the front, it allows the latch to be properly used, providing enough pressure for 'locking' the latch in place.

Keeping external oxygen limited won't help much. The metal oxides in the battery release oxygen, so it fuels itself.

This article is focused on lithium ion batteries, but is also true of lipo batteries.

https://news.clemson.edu/lithium-ion-battery-fires-are-a-growing-public-safety-concern-−-heres-how-to-reduce-the-risk/
Typically, a battery fire starts in a single cell inside a larger battery pack. There are three main reasons for a battery to ignite: mechanical harm, such as crushing or penetration when vehicles collide; electrical harm from an external or internal short circuit; or overheating. Battery short circuits may be caused by faulty external handling or unwanted chemical reactions within the battery cell. When lithium-ion batteries are charged too quickly, chemical reactions can produce very sharp lithium needles called dendrites on the battery’s anode – the electrode with a negative charge. Eventually, they penetrate the separator and reach the other electrode, short-circuiting the battery internally. Such short circuits heat the battery cell to over 212 F (100 C). The battery’s temperature rises slowly at first and then all at once, spiking to its peak temperature in about one second.

Another factor that makes lithium-ion battery fires challenging to handle is oxygen generation. When the metal oxides in a battery’s cathode, or positively charged electrode, are heated, they decompose and release oxygen gas. Fires need oxygen to burn, so a battery that can create oxygen can sustain a fire.

Because of the electrolyte’s nature, a 20% increase in a lithium-ion battery’s temperature causes some unwanted chemical reactions to occur much faster, which releases excessive heat. This excess heat increases the battery temperature, which in turn speeds up the reactions. The increased battery temperature increases the reaction rate, creating a process called thermal runaway. When this happens, the temperature in a battery can rise from 212 F (100 C) to 1,800 F (1000 C) in a second.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I did Google it myself after the last post and read the same (that a lipo fire creates oxygen so it's essentially self-sustaining). Looks like I will be cutting out some of the gasket on my ammo box.

Not sure why a seller...ANY seller..."wouldn't care". If the package goes "up in flames" while shipping (we all know how 'careful' (cough, cough) carriers are with packages...lol), not only would the seller have to refund the purchase price, and have 'nothing' in the end, but the seller could find himself/herself in a bit of legal trouble (even more so if the package wasn't labeled as containing batteries).

Do you really believe there aren't people out there careless enough to not care?

Or better yet... people that may simply not know any better?

We as a community understand lipo batteries and the dangers they come with but a lot of the general public has no idea. Not because of ignorance, but because they havnt been told/ learned.

One could ship one easily and completely unknowingly cause an issue. This is why every post master/ shipper is required to ask if such any items are contained with each and every package. To try and prevent them from slipping by accidently.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back