Typhon What to get for a first RC: Typhon 3S in Granite 3S and why ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arrma118

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I’ve never owned a hobby grade rc car. So far, I’ve only had the wltoys cheap buggies. Looking to get an upgrade. I like to do speed runs in the wltoys down my street, but I can’t bash them. I would like something that can do it all- handle well, is fast, low maintenance, and is fun to drive. I know the Arrma radios are bad, so I will upgrade to a dumbo rc. what do you guys think ? I’m going to wait a few months and see if Arrma may release some updates to the 3S or 4S lineup in the fall, and then jump on the purchase.

The Typhon 3S is what I would choose today. Or the Kraton 4S maybe. That is unless you are willing to go to the 6S line, but that is a large jump from a WLToys car. I have three WLToys cars for my grandkids and they are a large drop off from any of the Arrma 3S rigs. My oldest granddaughter (7) has been upgraded to a Senton 3S that we run on 2S with the Tactic TTX300 and with the throttle expo dialed way back. When she gets better at handling it, we will give her full throttle expo. At some point, I will buy her a 3S Lipo. But I’ve gotta say that Senton rips on a 2S LiPO. I was impressed.

If the choices are only Typhon 3s or Granite 3s as a first RC car then I'd recommend the Typhon 3s.

I own both and Typhon is more forgiving. Granite requires a bit more control on both the throttle and steering. It likes to wheelie a lot, flip from a standing start or flip during a tight turn.

BUT if you want to do tricks and jumps the Granite is so much fun with its short wheelbase and it's ability to flip in the air without trying.

I own both...cant go wrong with either one...but I would go typhon...more stable and versitle...mine is setup for speed runs now...but can easily change tires/pinion for offroad...also can turn into truggy with 2.8 tires and better wheel selection with 17mm hex

Attachments

• 20200511_191815.jpg
    20200511_191815.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 20200511_190001.jpg
    20200511_190001.jpg
    286.3 KB · Views: 41
I started with a 3s Granite and built a 3s Typhon later. I prefer the Granite because mostly I enjoy bashing with ramps and doing wheelies and flips etc and that is what the Granite does best. But the Typhon is way easier to drive and the body/looks of it are great with street, buggy, or monster tires and it's easy to swap them out only needing a pinion change if going monster tires depending on your setup. With monster tires the Typhon can do all of the same things the granite can just not as wild because of its longer wheelbase.

I like that the Typhon is 1/8 scale too even though its only 40mm longer than the Granite, it looks a lot bigger. With monster tires and the longer stock arms the difference is even more pronounced. So to me it's the better value vehicle because it can do anything and it feels like you get more for your money.

Depends what you want to do. With the shorter wheelbase, the Granite backflips more easily and has higher ride height for rough terrain and landing jumps. The Typhon is lighter and faster. It is lower to the ground, has a longer wheelbase and will be more stable, especially at speed. Do you like to jump and flip or do you like to go fast? Are you running on rough terrain or relatively smooth surfaces?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back