Kraton Whats better? 1x6s or 2x3s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jxr006

Reaction score
Hey folks,
We have been going through upgrades. Thanks for your help with the radio and servo recommendations.

My son wants to step up to the batteries now.

He asked me a question that i have no idea how to evaluate.
Is it better to have 1x6s or 2x3s batteries to run on 6s?

Any EE majors got any formulas to understand that equation? Is there some wire loss when running 2x3s? Or do we more consistent discharge?

Yeah. Thats the breath of my knowledge. I look at the following wire diagram and go.. hmmm.. maybe i'll setup a parallel 2x4s now so we can run them longer..

Hopefully that doesn't lead to my next post... "hey guys, can anyone recommend a new esc, because mine set on fire".

1606179801873.png

If you’re going to buy new batteries I would suggest buying 6S batteries.
Stacking two 3s batteries seems like just asking for something to go wrong.
I prefer Smc and would advise avoiding Power Hobbies batteries.
If you want longer run times get 6500mh or 8000 mh

I perfer 6s lipos for 6s trucks, having to deal with stacking lipos bugs me, more wire, more connects, and ejections on hard tumbles times two. I leave the 3s lipos for 3s rigs.

I have only 3s and think fitment is the most important but after that I'm still learning and prefer the 3s as I can use two in a 6s setup or one for my 3s rc?
that was my logic as well.

someday i want an 8s setup.. so as long as i stick with 4s, i can double them up.

but i guess i need bigger dreams, and wait for the 12s then.

I prefer a single battery, but that's more for fitment than performance. If every plug adds resistance then a single battery with a single plug on the esc would be best. I'm not sure if it's enough to make a difference, I'm not an expert on the electronics, but it makes sense to me.

how do ya'll feel about hard case vs soft pack?
i feel mentally comfortable bashing then charging these bombs in my garage when the battery is a hard case. do you find the soft cases as reliable?

There is no electrical advantage or negligible.
What matters a little is weight distribution for speed runs.
If you do have 3S rigs, go with the dual 3S setup and you can use the batteries everywhere.
I make the habit of marking my batteries and keep the use equally distributed.

Amazon has the Zeee brand which works good or go with CNHL (China hobby) but go look at the lipo thread on the latest.

Last edited:
There is no electrical advantage or negligible.
What matters a little is weight distribution for speed runs.
If you do have 3S rigs, go with the dual 3S setup and you can use the batteries everywhere.
I make teh habbit of marking my batteries and keep the use equally distributed.

Amazon has the Zeee brand which works good or go with CNHL (China hobby) but go look at the lipo thread on the latest.
thanks JK. When you say mark them? do you use a marker to just tag them? I like that. it's a good practice.
i'm ordering 6s now. this is the only rc we own.

how do ya'll feel about hard case vs soft pack?
i feel mentally comfortable bashing then charging these bombs in my garage when the battery is a hard case. do you find the soft cases as reliable?
Manufacturer recommendation is you not use soft packs. Only soft pack i use is the 2S in my transmitter. You're smart not taking any chance that a kicked up rock could pierce the soft case.

thanks JK. When you say mark them? do you use a marker to just tag them? I like that. it's a good practice.
i'm ordering 6s now. this is the only rc we own.
I carve a big number in with a knife ;) :eek:

I just use a permanent marker, 1, 2, 3. I do not get fancy with it.
Sticker will work but keep in mind it will get wet and dirty.

I use softcase Lipos, wrapped in a single layer of duct tape. Change the tape if you notice wear and tear. There is no room in my battery tray for rocks etc ?. Have a pack of hardcase but I won't be looking for these, whatever is cheapest with some reliability.

I did a post on this and the feedback was very interesting as many run soft case. https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/do-any-of-you-bashers-run-use-softcase-lipos.29362/
That was an interesting read! Most seem more concerned about the discharge capacity(C) than the actual storage capacity of the battery. I run 6000 MaH 60-100C 3s batteries from HRB(amazon). My only complaint is according to my charger, they are actually 5900. Even then I can't complain too much because reading about variances from other posts, some folks are getting 1000MaH or more less than advertised on new batteries.

If you have dual LiPo's, you will need to charge one, and then charge the 2nd. This can be annoying if you don't have a dual charger. 1 6s instead of 2x 3s could save you time.

That was an interesting read! Most seem more concerned about the discharge capacity(C) than the actual storage capacity of the battery. I run 6000 MaH 60-100C 3s batteries from HRB(amazon). My only complaint is according to my charger, they are actually 5900. Even then I can't complain too much because reading about variances from other posts, some folks are getting 1000MaH or more less than advertised on new batteries.
Wow, you are killing your Lipo's quickly, you should never use the rated capacity but only 70-80% max. Do not go below 3.6V consistently or your Lipos will degrade very quickly.

The listed capacity is never the usable capacity. 5900 out of a rated 6000 is spot on, or your Lipo would be dead by now.

Wow, you are killing your Lipo's quickly, you should never use the rated capacity but only 70-80% max. Do not go below 3.6V consistently or your Lipos will degrade very quickly.

The listed capacity is never the usable capacity. 5900 out of a rated 6000 is spot on, or your Lipo would be dead by now.
Can you clarify? These batteries are only 2 months old. Im a noob so im not sure what you mean. What I mean is the check battery function of my charger says I have 5900 MaH but battery claims 6000MaH. Also transmitter is set to 3.7v cut off. I full balance charge batteries in accordance with the charger and instructions in both charger and the recommended max from battery manufacturer(4.19v per cell). If im doing something wrong here, im more than open to suggestions from those with more experience than me.

With these settings, I get 10-13 minutes on pavement and 15-20 in the woods(where im not full blast with speed).

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back