Wide but short motor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dure16

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Infraction
  3. Limitless
  4. Kraton EXB
  5. Talion
  6. Typhon 6s
  7. Typhon TLR
Does anyone know of a motor wider than 42mm but only 74mm maximum length? Preferably 1500-1800kv range.

I hope to give my MT410 some oomph without having to move the ESC.

Are you running 4s or 6s?

I can't even put down all the power on mine, running a 4274 rocket motor and mmx with 4000mah 6s packs. Most of my throttle range is unusable, but i don't break 120f (I always run fans) and have lots of throttle for corrections. I also have just a little clearance left from the center brace with a 16t and 1500kv motor. How much bigger do you think you'd have room for?

Are you running 4s or 6s?

I can't even put down all the power on mine, running a 4274 rocket motor and mmx with 4000mah 6s packs. Most of my throttle range is unusable, but i don't break 120f (I always run fans) and have lots of throttle for corrections. I also have just a little clearance left from the center brace with a 16t and 1500kv motor. How much bigger do you think you'd have room for?
I’ve tried a couple different setups.

Right now it has an MMX8S and 1520. I’ve run that combo on 4S and 6S, but 4S seems better for the truck. Power is great but I don’t like the heavy ESC and it’s placement above the diff.

I used to run similar to you. MMX6S and Hobbystar 4274 1350kv on 6S. That was probably my favorite setup.

I’ve seen people run a 1717 so I’m confident a 48mm diameter motor is workable. I just need something <75mm long so I can fit an MMX6S on the chassis behind it.

So you're planning to stick the ESC here?
1697808564165.png

If so, then you shouldn't have a problem with motor lengths. Or do you still plan to mount the ESC on the ESC tray, forward of the motor? I think a 40mm+ size motor less than 85mm is definitely unusual, but they probably do exist.

For more "out there" possibilities to consider:
-I have run a spektrum 130a on a 4074 motor on the MT410 with no issues, power wise. If you're just running 4s, the 130a is about 10mm narrower than your standard ESC, which would let you potentially run up to a 85mm length motor. The 130a also uses a 30mm fan, which is much better at cooling (especially when using 30mm rocket fans) than the 25mm fans you find in hobbywing's max10 equivalent. That might be the only ticket for getting a longer motor with the ESC in the stock location. You may have to check if the ESC tray gets in the way for those longer motors though.

-Consider mounting the MMX on it's side (using 3d printed mount or just get creative with tape and zip ties) which would give you an extra 10mm of wiggle room to consider a longer motor.

TP5650 v3 claims to be 55x70mm dimensions.
Good find. I think max diameter is likely <50mm with the stock motor mount. I should have clarified that in my first post. Thanks.

4870 size would be perfect.

View attachment 327639
If so, then you shouldn't have a problem with motor lengths. Or do you still plan to mount the ESC on the ESC tray, forward of the motor? I think a 40mm+ size motor less than 85mm is definitely unusual, but they probably do exist.

-I have run a spektrum 130a on a 4074 motor on the MT410 with no issues, power wise. If you're just running 4s, the 130a is about 10mm narrower than your standard ESC, which would let you potentially run up to a 85mm length motor. The 130a also uses a 30mm fan, which is much better at cooling (especially when using 30mm rocket fans) than the 25mm fans you find in hobbywing's max10 equivalent. That might be the only ticket for getting a longer motor with the ESC in the stock location. You may have to check if the ESC tray gets in the way for those longer motors though.

-Consider mounting the MMX on it's side (using 3d printed mount or just get creative with tape and zip ties) which would give you an extra 10mm of wiggle room to consider a longer motor.
I hope to keep the ESC in the stock location. Good ideas here, thanks.

I have a Hobbywing 4S 200a ESC and Leopard 4082 2200kv I could probably repurpose. That hadn't occurred to me for some reason. I wonder if that would feel any more powerful than a 4074 on 6S.

Last edited:
I just ran my ET chassis MT410 on 6s for the first time ever today. Bonkers! TC Torox 185 with Ten Shock 4274 2200kv, Losi XTT tires, 18t pinion. Not a basher really, just running on a track. Can't get past say 1/3 throttle. Think it would just blow the tires off if I could. Back to 4s,LOL.

View attachment 327639

+1
MT410 runs great and better "Crossweight" balanced if you keep it lighter and run 4s packs. For balancing sake, I feel the ESC should remain in the stock position. Just me. An 8s ESC is overkill IMHO. Heavier and harder to install well enough. Motor length upgrade consideration has always been a problem with this Tekno Buggy length chassis. The 410 is really a track based MT built around Tekno Track Bin parts. That's why you see many running the Tekin narrow ESC in them, with Spec sized 4s Truggy Track motors. And it is tight as it is.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back