Will my 6-pole motor eat my XLX2?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dure16

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Infraction
  3. Limitless
  4. Kraton EXB
  5. Talion
  6. Typhon 6s
  7. Typhon TLR
I’ve read that the XLX2 doesn’t play nice with big 6-pole motors.

I think the consensus is that it’s safe as long as the kv rating is low enough. But the safe kv range I’m seeing recommended online is all over the place.

Do you think I’m safe or should I avoid running these components together?

Thanks

TP 5660 1170kv
XLX2
Outcast 8S
30/47 gearing

I think the consensus is that it’s safe as long as the kv rating is low enough. But the safe kv range I’m seeing recommended online is all over the place.

Thanks

TP 5660 1170kv
XLX2
Outcast 8S
30/47 gearing
Your fine,I've got same motor an I've speedran it 8s no problems..de-syncing is supposedly a thing above 50,000rpms..so anything over 1700ish kv on 8s would be scary..I had many 56mm motors an zero issues
Check out @jondilly1974 infraction from couple years ago..he was running a tp5650-1930kv on 8s an experiencing de-syncing

Last edited:

Thanks

TP 5660 1170kv
XLX2
Outcast 8S
30/47 gearing
It is a little scary, right? Even just a toasted XLX2 would be a day wrecker, but burning down the whole rig would be terrible.
I have one of the new sensored TP 5670 1270kv motors that will be paired with an XLX2 on my next build. And after I bought it I heard concerns about the sensored TP’s with that ESC, but I can’t seem to find the thread.
I’m really hoping that combo will be ok together.

IMHO, I would stay away from 6 pole motors for a Bashing rig. 4 pole motors are best and more efficient. For speed runners, I could see 6 pole as an advantage with proper "Timing" and gearing.
Unless someone can tell me and explain otherwise?:unsure:

Last edited:
I can't fully confirm the following, but bashing the desync will not occure that fast. Lower geared and big rollout does not give the same strain on the esc.

I've been 'offroad' speedunning my fireteam with a TP5840-1460kv (6 pole) and i had no troubles with desyncing, though i only ran it on 6S. Lack of power is never the problem.

IMHO, I would stay away from 6 pole motors for bashing. 4 pole motors are best and more efficient.
This build will be a dedicated speed runner.

love my 6 pole tp motors. yall some worry warts 🤣.
Says the guy with repeated XLX2 issues… 😂. Got any of the sensored TP’s? I wish I could remember what the concern was.

^^^ OC8s will be a speed runner???:rolleyes:
Odd........... all 30 pounds?

Says the guy with repeated XLX2 issues… 😂. Got any of the sensored TP’s? I wish I could remember what the concern was.
Funny enough my xlx2 burst into flames after I stopped using the 6 pole and started using castle 4 pole 🤣. I think the only problem ive had with a 6 pole so far is what I'm going through right now. Xlx2 and sensored tp 5650 1720kv, won't run with sensored cable connected. It was working fine for months and now it won't act right unless I remove sensor. Not sure if it's the motor or xlx2 but I'm leaning towards the xlx2 because I've never had a tp motor ever cause me problems. Going to test it out soon 👍

Funny enough my xlx2 burst into flames after I stopped using the 6 pole and started using castle 4 pole 🤣. I think the only problem ive had with a 6 pole so far is what I'm going through right now. Xlx2 and sensored tp 5650 1720kv, won't run with sensored cable connected. It was working fine for months and now it won't act right unless I remove sensor. Not sure if it's the motor or xlx2 but I'm leaning towards the xlx2 because I've never had a tp motor ever cause me problems. Going to test it out soon 👍
Thanks for that. How does the 5650 run in sensorless mode? Much cogging? I guess it wouldn’t really matter too much in my application anyway, but I keep hearing sensored setups were butter and I wanted to try it out.

Strangely enough I have the same problem with my sensored motors suddenly not running at all.
My 1100kV 2028 Castle can't run sensored in my DBXL-E with an XLX2.
My 800kV 2028 Castle won't run sensored in my MCD with an MGM ESC, both cars used to run fine, now they straight up refuse to operate on sensored...

Strangely enough I have the same problem with my sensored motors suddenly not running at all.
My 1100kV 2028 Castle can't run sensored in my DBXL-E with an XLX2.
My 800kV 2028 Castle won't run sensored in my MCD with an MGM ESC, both cars used to run fine, now they straight up refuse to operate on sensored...
wow thats weird af. I wonder why this is happening all of a sudden? I tried like 3 different sensor cables too. I plan on trying the motor with a different xlx2 but I'm definitely expecting it to be an xlx2 issue. Dealing with castle warranty is not fun for me either :cry:
Thanks for that. How does the 5650 run in sensorless mode? Much cogging? I guess it wouldn’t really matter too much in my application anyway, but I keep hearing sensored setups were butter and I wanted to try it out.
Tbh it runs great in sensorless mode. I'm just a bit salty because running sensored always feels even better. It's also nice being able to have that temperature cutoff on the motor.

IMHO, I would stay away from 6 pole motors for a Bashing rig. 4 pole motors are best and more efficient. For speed runners, I could see 6 pole as an advantage with proper "Timing" and gearing.
I could be wrong here, but I think all of TP's 56mm motors are 6-pole.

I've been very happy with this motor for bashing. Gobs of low-end torque and high-end doesn't seem to suffer.

I've been very happy with this motor for bashing. Gobs of low-end torque and high-end doesn't seem to suffer.
yea I used to run one in my Talion XL and my Fireteam. Both paired with mmx8s's and they did GREAT! ran cool as ice too since they're a lot of motor for those rigs and I was running 6s. Only reason I took them out was to try a lightweight option. Also ran a 6 pole in my kraton 8s for a year with zero problems. Hell, life was good when I had that motor in my kraton :ROFLMAO:

Yes, I believe they are. I used to wish they’d do them in 4-pole (contacted them once for a custom 56xx motor in 4-pole but got a big NOPE in reply) but now I wish more fervently for Castle to just update the software/firmware/design of the XLX2 to handle 6-pole motors at high rpm’s.

Not only that,but much easier on esc..ya would think big motor would be harder on esc,but lots of logs from 1170,1270,1356,1460kv have showed much lower Amp draw under heavy loads.logs showed 25a less per 100kv..pulled 325a on 145/8s with 1170kv,25a more with 1270kv at 145mph..25a more with 1356kv an almost 400a at 145mph with 1460kv...higher the kv the higher the ampdraw..
This Lil 3480kv requires xlx2..could easily run 1270kv with mmx8s

20230423_163219.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back