Granite Wrong teeth on pinion gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackgoat04

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
I'm pretty sure I know the answer already. The gear on the right is the is the stock 15t pinion gear. The one on the right is the new 13t .8 mod I got from HobbyTown. The teeth are cut different. I'm guessing this isn't gonna work with our spur gear is it?!?! the teeth on the stock gear are more pointed.

Attachments

• 20190211_203048.jpg
    20190211_203048.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 125
  • 20190211_203145.jpg
    20190211_203145.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 79
  • 20190211_203519.jpg
    20190211_203519.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 76
32p or mod 0.8 is a standard size. There's no need to worry over that. The problem here is the original pinion is sintered trash made for interaction with composite spurs. The 13t pinion is a harden steel beast made for steel spurs of the same hardness. That pinion will eat the spur in minutes.

does anyone have a link for a steel spur gear that they have tried?

This gear pitch thing is very confusing. As far as I understand, so far, my new Typhon 3S has the 32P or 0.8 mod, however, the 6S models use a mod 1 correct me if I'm wrong. Also noticed going through the Arrma manual that came with my Kraton, and has all the 6S models, they all use the same exact motor, same size spur, pinion and esc
Link I found about the confusion https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/510765-mod-1-pinion-not-32-pitch.html

This gear pitch thing is very confusing. As far as I understand, so far, my new Typhon 3S has the 32P or 0.8 mod, however, the 6S models use a mod 1 correct me if I'm wrong. Also noticed going through the Arrma manual that came with my Kraton, and has all the 6S models, they all use the same exact motor, same size spur, pinion and esc
Link I found about the confusion https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/510765-mod-1-pinion-not-32-pitch.html

Everything your wrote is correct except for the pinion size. They are all mod 1 but the models come with different tooth counts.

I can be wrong, but in my manual they show the same part number. BTW I sent you a message asking about beefing up my overweight Kraton.

I can be wrong, but in my manual they show the same part number. BTW I sent you a message asking about beefing up my overweight Kraton.

Well the optional pinions are definitely different. For example the Kraton comes with an optional 15t pinion and the Talion comes with a 20t. The Notorious optional pinion is 16t.

Just saying, an extra hard pinion wont eat a plastic spur. Doesn’t work like that. You can’t use a soft pinion with a steel spur, but you can use a hardened pinion with a plastic spur.

The Senton and Typhon come standard with a 14t pinion. The rest are 12t.

Just saying, an extra hard pinion wont eat a plastic spur. Doesn’t work like that. You can’t use a soft pinion with a steel spur, but you can use a hardened pinion with a plastic spur.
I said this specifically for his case. If you look at his spur, it's already chewed up pretty good. The mesh on these cars is too tight. His must be extra tight. Plus the slipper can shift. When I look at a new RR pinion, it appears to have machined teeth. The ridges will finish off his spur.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back