Xavier's WLtoys 144001

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edough13

Bashing, Speed running and family!!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Limitless
  4. Kraton 6s
  5. Mojave
  6. Notorious
  7. Typhon 6s
  8. Vorteks
So tomorrow is my son's birthday(11) and he loves to bash with Dad and has been wanting his own RC. We got him the little WLtoys 144001 buggy with all the aluminum parts upgrades. Can't wait to see his reaction and get to sit and wrench together and install all his bling aluminum parts as well as bash together. Have been charging 2s packs most of the day for tomorrow.
IMG_20200922_163837689.jpg
Want to start a build thread for his rig to keep track of the changes and evolution. Already have the brushless conversion; motor, ESC and tx/Rx ready to order for when he asks how to make it faster, maybe Christmas present... Anyways here is Xavier's WLtoys 144001 build thread.
IMG_20200922_101205525.jpg

Last edited:
@Jimbobjr ya I did a fair amount of research before I decided to get him this rig. I'm still blown away there's YouTube guys that have conversions for speed runs hitting over the 100mph mark with this little buggy. But also has aluminum chassis, has tons of aluminum upgrades which we got him all of them I think, and is easy to upgrade to brushless. Also will hold up well bashing around have seen it hold its own right along with Traxx-ass and ARRMA and not have major breakages. All round a great first rig I think, can't wait tell tomorrow not sure who's going to be more excited me or him?

Last edited:
@WoodiE any chance I could have him sent some official decals for his new rig? I know he'd be beyond stoked to get a letter in the mail addressed to him with some BADA$$ decals.

@Jimbobjr ya I did a fair amount of research before I decided to get him this rig. I'm still blown away there's YouTube guys that have conversions for speed runs hitting over the 100mph mark with this little buggy. But also has aluminum chassis, has tons of aluminum upgrades which we got him all of them I think, and is easy to upgrade to brushless. Also will hold up well bashing around have seen it hold its own right along with Traxx-ass and ARRMA and not have major breakages. All round a great first rig I think, can't wait tell tomorrow not sure who's going to be more excited me or him?
It's easy to upgrade to brushless?

@slick2500 yep can literally buy drop in/plug and play brushless upgrade https://www.ebay.com/itm/303636116940. And like I said you search YouTube there's some guys hitting over 100mph with this little buggy, of course some huge modifications but still is a 144001 chassis.
106mph!!!! Crazy to even think you can make this little 1/14 scale buggy hit those speeds!

Last edited:
@slick2500 yep can literally buy drop in/plug and play brushless upgrade https://www.ebay.com/itm/303636116940. And like I said you search YouTube there's some guys hitting over 100mph with this little buggy, of course some huge modifications but still is a 14401 chassis.
106mph!!!! Crazy to even think you can make this little 1/14 scale buggy hit those speeds!
I would need to mod my motor mount first, there is literally zero lash in my gear mesh on mine, the motor gave up the ghost after like 3 packs. I kinda gave up on mine to be honest.

Ya I can't believe my little Hosim 9125 is still trucking. I put 4s through that truck and it's dual brushed 390 motors and a 60A ESC ???. Will standing double backflip on 4s and triple off any tiny jump. Think the ESC is about done though, other day was sitting still and took off full speed out of nowhere and stayed pinned like throttle was wide open and I wasn't touching the remote ?. Still trucking though was just drifting it in the garage minutes ago but just 2s. Pretty sad out of my 3 rigs v4 K6s, Granite 3s blx and Hosim the Hosim is only one up and running right now. Besides diff here and there been running since March even with the excess power of 4s on the electronics set up for 2s.

Ya I can't believe my little Hosim 9125 is still trucking. I put 4s through that truck and it's dual brushed 390 motors and a 60A ESC ???. Will standing double backflip on 4s and triple off any tiny jump. Think the ESC is about done though, other day was sitting still and took off full speed out of nowhere and stayed pinned like throttle was wide open and I wasn't touching the remote ?. Still trucking though was just drifting it in the garage minutes ago but just 2s. Pretty sad out of my 3 rigs v4 K6s, Granite 3s blx and Hosim the Hosim is only one up and running right now. Besides diff here and there been running since March even with the excess power of 4s on the electronics set up for 2s.

I still have no idea how my nephew did this to his Hosim 9125.
I'm guessing that he threw it on the ground.

20200222_165349.jpg

I've seen a few guys running 4s on YouTube as well.

Well time to start wrapping it all up for him while he's at school this AM. Is it horrible I want to wrap it inside my K6s box inside another box... Nah that would just be mean right?. Think I'm going to be mean with the aluminum parts and batteries though and put those in a box in a box in a box each wrapped?. Or do I just use a roll of duck tape to wrap everything?.....

Well he was definitely happy!! Didn't want to put it down and was stoked Dad charged 6 2s packs to bash after dinner together. Will post video when I edit through it all, first time trying a head mount and first 18mins were looking at the ground?. But second half got the angle about right so will have some editing to do but have some good video of him getting to bash on his bday.
Had a screw come loose on the hub and driveshaft pop out as a result so he got to not only drive his own RC but fix it as well, proud Dad here for sure!
IMG_20200923_185825211.jpg

Last edited:
Here's the video... It's a long one and not the best. Better footage is about 9mins in. Decided to try and talk in this one and man I guess my favorite word is again? so again? for best footage skip to 9mins+ in

Yes I have as well seen the suggestions to check shocks and also grease the diffs. Held up great so far and we will be doing a full aluminum part upgrade soon, maybe Christmas we will get him the brushless conversion and motor mount to run brushless set up. For the value it's hard to beat, aluminum chassis and even stock parts are of decent quality. Think even for the full aluminum kit was maybe $30 give or take and brushless conversion runs about $70 but it's ESC, new tx/Rx, motor, servo so full brushless conversion not too bad.

Yes I have as well seen the suggestions to check shocks and also grease the diffs. Held up great so far and we will be doing a full aluminum part upgrade soon, maybe Christmas we will get him the brushless conversion and motor mount to run brushless set up. For the value it's hard to beat, aluminum chassis and even stock parts are of decent quality. Think even for the full aluminum kit was maybe $30 give or take and brushless conversion runs about $70 but it's ESC, new tx/Rx, motor, servo so full brushless conversion not too bad.
Yes those low costs were the appeal to me also, plus the idea of going after the title of worlds fastest WL Toys would be fun.
Years ago I had a Losi Mini 8ight 1/14 scale and it was a blast. This car should be very similar.

I suspect I'll have to make an adjustable motor mount. I have not seen one yet.

I've seen a few have you looked on like Banggood or wish? I know ordering from china sucks but ya I've seen a few aluminum motor mounts for the WLtoys 144001 for the brushless conversion.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back