Outcast XLX2 error beep

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UncleDizzle

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Notorious
So I was out driving my outcast doing a speed pass and then hit the breaks pretty hard which is nothing uncommon for myself (or for most drivers I assume). But immediately after I had no throttle momentarily. So I started creeping forward and it cut out again. And that’s all it will do now is creep forward and then cut out. I’m running 30/47 with a castle 1100kv. It also fair to note I did just switch out my duffs for new ones and also added metal diffhoisings on them. And installed new cvds in all four. Shouldn’t make a difference I don’t think. But it was only my second run with the new parts. And most importantly I’m getting this error signal from castle. If you listen closely you can hear the beep barely audible with sound of the fans. I’ve emailed castle but I’ll get a quicker explanation from you guys. And thank you in advance for any insight. You guys haven’t let me down yet.
Also fair to note upon start up everything is normal. I get the 8 beeps for 8s and all that. The error beep doesn’t come on until I give it throttle. I also forgot to mention I’m running two SMC 4s 1100mah batteries.

Last edited:
Have you ever been into the ESC parmeters and/or CC Data logs to check for data anomalies.. The data log sometimes tells the story.
I have no exper. with CC.
But heard that you can get an occasional beeping, notifying when the data log memory is full, but this never affects performance.
I don't see any correlation with you wrenching on the drive train and this ESC/motor issue.
Check your 3 motor wires and Sensor lead, if so equipped. Maybe reset the ESC to default values???
See what others here have to say.
Sorry I couldn't help more. :cool:

Are your batteries charged? That's the LVC. Assuming your issue is nothing more than discharged batteries, it makes sense you'd hear right after throttle is applied (causing voltage drop when engaging motor)
Also - was that a typo in battery capacity or are they really only 1100mah?

Trouble shooting guide

18791999-BBCE-4C16-B0CA-6F7E8322D559.jpeg

Hope you get it figured out but it sound's like the ESC might be gone if the batteries are still good.

Odd though the beeps I am hearing are short - long indicating LVC, bad batteries?

Be careful with it, others have reported odd behaviors before theirs went full 🔥.

Last edited:
Are your batteries charged? That's the LVC. Assuming your issue is nothing more than discharged batteries, it makes sense you'd hear right after throttle is applied (causing voltage drop when engaging motor)
Also - was that a typo in battery capacity or are they really only 1100mah?
Sorry. Typo. 11000. I think 10800 to be correct.
Have you ever been into the ESC parmeters and/or CC Data logs to check for data anomalies.. The data log sometimes tells the story.
I have no exper. with CC.
But heard that you can get an occasional beeping, notifying when the data log memory is full, but this never affects performance.
I don't see any correlation with you wrenching on the drive train and this ESC/motor issue.
Check your 3 motor wires and Sensor lead, if so equipped. Maybe reset the ESC to default values???
See what others here have to say.
Sorry I couldn't help more. :cool:
Yeah but I don’t really know what all the data log stuff means tbh
Hope you get it figured out but it sound's like the ESC might be gone if the batteries are still good.

Odd though the beeps I am hearing are short - long indicating LVC, bad batteries?

Be careful with it, others have reported odd behaviors before theirs went full 🔥.
Yeah the batteries are good. Fairly young and also pretty well taken care of.
Thank you for this. I was looking for trouble shooting guide but couldn’t find one.

This may shed some light on things. I went to go look at the wires and had a helluva time trying to pull one of the batteries off the esc. And here’s what I saw. Do I think this is battery or a speed control issue?

IMG_2824.jpeg

IMG_2823.jpeg

This may shed some light on things. I went to go look at the wires and had a helluva time trying to pull one of the batteries off the esc. And here’s what I saw. Do I think this is battery or a speed control issue?

View attachment 341507

View attachment 341508
Those connectors are toast, afraid to say. Might not have connected tightly enough. I'd replace them both

View attachment 341507

View attachment 341508
Yeah, that's the problem. Just went through this myself two weeks ago. Currently replacing all my QS8's. Seems to happen when connectors come apart ever so slightly while driving, causing an arc between the bullet(s).

Yeah, that's the problem. Just went through this myself two weeks ago. Currently replacing all my QS8's. Seems to happen when connectors come apart ever so slightly while driving, causing an arc between the bullet(s).
Yeah I already changed them out. Still afraid to let her loose tho. Did u have any other issues because of this? Or did u just replace your QS8s and everything was fine?

Yeah I already changed them out. Still afraid to let her loose tho. Did u have any other issues because of this? Or did u just replace your QS8s and everything was fine?
Are you still getting the error beep after new QS8's? If not, I wouldn't hesitate to drive it. I think you identified problem was not with ESC/motor, so all good.
Also, suggest keeping an eye on ripple within ESC log data. CC tech mentioned on the phone to me once high ripple is #1 cause of ESC failure (possibly the fireworks kind). CC said 10% ripple is the absolute max, but ideally it should be lower. 3.7v nominal * 8 cells = 29.6v total nominal --> 29.6v*10% = 2.96v max ripple. Again, ideally should be much lower. I check my logs after each run and so far haven't seen ripple above 0.90v. (XLX2/CC 1100KV). My batteries are 11000mah/100C.

Last edited:
Are you still getting the error beep after new QS8's? If not, I wouldn't hesitate to drive it. I think you identified problem was not with ESC/motor, so all good.
Also, suggest keeping an eye on ripple within ESC log data. CC tech mentioned on the phone to me once high ripple is #1 cause of ESC failure (possibly the fireworks kind). CC said 10% ripple is the absolute max, but ideally it should be lower. 3.7v nominal * 8 cells = 29.6v total nominal --> 29.6v*10% = 2.96v max ripple. Again, ideally should be much lower. I check my logs after each run and so far haven't seen ripple above 0.90v. (XLX2/CC 1100KV). My batteries are 11000mah/100C.
Awesome. Thank you for this info. I’ll be sure to check my logs. And I did put the new QS8s on and it seemed to fix the problem. However I’ve not let her rip yet. 🙏🙏🙏

Technically QS8's generally should not even spark, having Spark Arresting Resistors in them. But resistors can fail.
That connector could potentially be a by-product of another issue. It is toast however, from the pix and tells a story.. Looks more like carbon tracking. I don't see any actual Arcing pitting Damage in the Pix. I could be wrong.
BTW not all QS8's are created equal. Perfect Pass QS8's are apparently among the best quality.
:unsure:

Last edited:
Technically QS8's generally should not even spark, having Spark Arresting Resistors in them. But resistors can fail.
That connector could potentially be a by-product of another issue. It is toast however, from the pix and tells a story.. Looks more like carbon tracking. I don't see any actual Arcing pitting Damage in the Pix. I could be wrong.
BTW not all QS8's are created equal. Perfect Pass QS8's are apparently among the best quality.
:unsure:
Yeah, that's true. When this happened to me the QS8's were nearly fused together and measured +125F. Just assumed arcing was the cause of both symptoms. (When I finally got 'em apart, they looked similar to OP pics)

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back