Outcast XLX2 up in Smoke

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jluther@becoinc

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Senton 6s
  2. Talion
Just had a relatively new ( bought October 2023) let out a puff of death smoke. It’s shorted out when I try to plug batteries in. I guess I’ll pick up the MAX5 G2. Has anyone else had their CC electronics fry for absolutely no reason. I’ve never got the temp above 130 on this Esc. I got the receipt so it’s definitely going back. $500 GONE

Just had a relatively new ( bought October 2023) let out a puff of death smoke. It’s shorted out when I try to plug batteries in. I guess I’ll pick up the MAX5 G2. Has anyone else had their CC electronics fry for absolutely no reason. I’ve never got the temp above 130 on this Esc. I got the receipt so it’s definitely going back. $500 GONE
Yeah I had an MMX8S crap out for no reason. No puff of smoke. It still turned on but no longer did the whole start-up beeping thing. I sent it in to Castle and I guess that, for whatever reason, they classified it as a tier II replacement so they charged me $150 for it. In a rotten bit of bad luck they sent me an XLX2 instead.

What I don't understand, if you have the receipt and it's going back, how are $500 gone? You could just send in the ESC and keep the motor (I'm assuming you didn't pay $500 for the ESC). Not knowing the circumstances under which your ESC died it's hard saying whether it's up for a replacement free of charge but I'd at least try that. The worst thing that could happen is they charge you the tier II restocking fee.

I had a couple battery packs through mine, was just out toying in the yard kind of getting used to the truck, turned too sharp and it rolled onto its lid and poof. Castle warrantied it but blamed the 34/47 gearing. I sold the replacement and the 1100kv motor and went to a Max5.

I had one go up in flames and 2 just die after working perfectly fine the previous day. To this day I'm still curious as to what happened to both the xlx2 that just died for no reason. Had both of them in a dbxl funny enough. Castle also tried to blame my gearing with the xlx2 that caught on fire and one that just died. I actually told them I had stock gearing on the xlx2 that died and he had the nerve to tell me I should use lower than stock gearing with an expensive ass xlx2.

I had a couple battery packs through mine, was just out toying in the yard kind of getting used to the truck, turned too sharp and it rolled onto its lid and poof. Castle warrantied it but blamed the 34/47 gearing. I sold the replacement and the 1100kv motor and went to a Max5.
Hell the way they advertise the data logging you would think they could look back and see if it was run hot. I put a tester on mine every time I ran it and it never ran hot. I hooked the fan lead to a light and ran my fans constant . Heat didn’t have anything to do with it. I will definitely send it back but they won’t get more of my money. I should have went with The Max5 to start with I just don’t like having to cut the truck to cram it in. Castle has always been less reliable.

Hell the way they advertise the data logging you would think they could look back and see if it was run hot. I put a tester on mine every time I ran it and it never ran hot. I hooked the fan lead to a light and ran my fans constant . Heat didn’t have anything to do with it. I will definitely send it back but they won’t get more of my money. I should have went with The Max5 to start with I just don’t like having to cut the truck to cram it in. Castle has always been less reliable.
No one's saying that it was heat and, to be fair, there are more variables than heat when it comes to what might kill an ESC.

Have any of you guys had problems with the Max5 G2 quitting? Hobbywing has always been reliable for me. It’s hard to kill a Max6
I haven’t ran a Max5 yet but I’m pretty damn upset that as much as this cost and the way I have took care of it and it craps out. F&$king ridiculous!

Well if my MMX coupled with a 1515 should go up in smoke on 6S, I'd be 'annoyed' if I was told it was due to over-gearing, or some such nonsense.

There are quite a few videos of XLX2's going up in flames - just for the audacity of switching them on. KT's video was a good one - caught on CCTV. There are plenty of other examples. Buyer beware.

I never really looked into any logs, I wasn’t flogging it, just out puttsing around trying to get a feel for the truck and it did it. The whole deal and waiting for a replacement soured me on running an xlx2 in a basher. I honestly don’t even really want to mess with the max5 G2 until it’s been out a little longer.

Well if my MMX coupled with a 1515 should go up in smoke on 6S, I'd be 'annoyed' if I was told it was due to over-gearing, or some such nonsense.

There are quite a few videos of XLX2's going up in flames - just for the audacity of switching them on. KT's video was a good one - caught on CCTV. There are plenty of other examples. Buyer beware.
Well, to be fair, KTs XLX2 didn't catch fire because he turned it on, the ESC just wasn't happy about something when he tried to run a 3200KV motor on 8S. It couldn't have been current draw as there was no pinion on the motor so he wasn't really experiencing much load so I'm not exactly sure what the actual cause was. The ESC just didn't like that combo for some reason or another.

I never really looked into any logs, I wasn’t flogging it, just out puttsing around trying to get a feel for the truck and it did it. The whole deal and waiting for a replacement soured me on running an xlx2 in a basher. I honestly don’t even really want to mess with the max5 G2 until it’s been out a little longer.
The XLX2 can be a little fickle. I've read enough guys having problems with them bashing. I suspect that part of the problem is the weight of the the wires yanking on the power connectors as there really isn't much other than the solder and a little epoxy holding them in. Unless you're zip tying the wires to the ESC, even a couple of inches of 8AWG wire will pull with some considerable force during crashes, rolls, full sends, etc. That's my best guess anyways. They seem to fare better on the road.

Last edited:
Have any of you guys had problems with the Max5 G2 quitting? Hobbywing has always been reliable for me. It’s hard to kill a Max6
I haven’t ran a Max5 yet but I’m pretty damn upset that as much as this cost and the way I have took care of it and it craps out. F&$king ridiculous!
I know I and a few others have had max 4's go BOOM but I haven't heard anything about max 5 g2's.

Well, to be fair, KTs XLX2 didn't catch fire because he turned it on, the ESC just wasn't happy about something when he tried to run a 3200KV motor on 8S. It couldn't have been current draw as there was no pinion on the motor so he wasn't really experiencing much load so I'm not exactly sure what the actual cause was. The ESC just didn't like that combo for some reason or another.

The XLX2 can be a little fickle. I've read enough guys having problems with them bashing. I suspect that part of the problem is the weight of the the wires yanking on the power connectors as there really isn't much other than the solder and a little epoxy holding them in. Unless you're zip tying the wires to the ESC, even a couple of inches of 8AWG wire will pull with some considerable force during crashes, rolls, full sends, etc. That's my best guess anyways. They seem to fare better on the road.
Dude - it kinda did. There was nothing stating that motors higher than 2000kv were going to be - shall we say - 'problematic'.

His ESC spontaneously combusted after having been blipped off the ground with little or no load, thus very low current draw situation.

Castle later had this to say:

"At this time, Castle is advising to immediately discontinue use of Delta wound motors and any motors that are 2000Kv or higher.

Three phase motors come in two common wiring patterns, Delta (D-wind) and Wye (Y-wind). Each pattern has its own power characteristics and Castle motors have a Y-wind design. Our current data suggests that D-wind motors, especially larger motors (40mm x 80mm or longer and 56mm diameter or larger) and any motors that are 2000Kv or higher are not currently suitable for operation with the Mamba XLX2 or Mamba Monster X8S. Running these motors can result in abnormal operation and may lead to premature ESC and/or motor failure.

If you are unsure whether the motor you are running or intending to run is a D-wind, please contact the motor manufacturer.

Castle is working on a firmware update that will allow the use of D-wind motors and motors greater than 2000kv. Once released, all XLX2 and Monster X 8s ESCs can be updated via the Castle Link USB programmer or B-LINK Bluetooth™ adapter to the new firmware. The estimated availability for this firmware is the end of January 2021."

As they say - hindsight is a wonderful thing. It's also - entirely free! 🤣

Last edited:
Dude - it kinda did. There was nothing stating that motors higher than 2000kv were going to be - shall we say - 'problematic'.

His ESC spontaneously combusted after having been blipped off the ground with little or no load, thus very low current draw situation.

Castle later had this to say:

"At this time, Castle is advising to immediately discontinue use of Delta wound motors and any motors that are 2000Kv or higher.

Three phase motors come in two common wiring patterns, Delta (D-wind) and Wye (Y-wind). Each pattern has its own power characteristics and Castle motors have a Y-wind design. Our current data suggests that D-wind motors, especially larger motors (40mm x 80mm or longer and 56mm diameter or larger) and any motors that are 2000Kv or higher are not currently suitable for operation with the Mamba XLX2 or Mamba Monster X8S. Running these motors can result in abnormal operation and may lead to premature ESC and/or motor failure.

If you are unsure whether the motor you are running or intending to run is a D-wind, please contact the motor manufacturer.

Castle is working on a firmware update that will allow the use of D-wind motors and motors greater than 2000kv. Once released, all XLX2 and Monster X 8s ESCs can be updated via the Castle Link USB programmer or B-LINK Bluetooth™ adapter to the new firmware. The estimated availability for this firmware is the end of January 2021."
I'm pretty sure that was just their reaction back then when they weren't sure what exactly was going on and also because KT has such a huge sub count. I can state unequivocally that the XLX2 handles Delta wound motors over 2000KV (even over 4000KV) without issues. KT was over volting the motor. Whether or not that played a role I can't say for certain.

I'm pretty sure that was just their reaction back then when they weren't sure what exactly was going on and also because KT has such a huge sub count. I can state unequivocally that the XLX2 handles Delta wound motors over 2000KV (even over 4000KV) without issues. KT was over volting the motor. Whether or not that played a role I can't say for certain.
Kev was using 8S I believe. XLX2 is supposed to be able handle 8S.

KT is hardly a shining beacon of sensible use 😝🤣 but this was not an isolated incident.

In 2024, still we're hearing similar stories.

So, XLX2'S are definitely still catching fire and from what you're saying, we can take what Castle are saying with a large pinch of salt? 🤨

KT is hardly a shining beacon of sensible use 😝🤣 but this was not an isolated incident.

So, XLX2'S are definitely still catching fire and from what you're saying, we can take what Castle are saying with a large pinch of salt? 🤨
F$&@?:);$ck Castle. I really thought they had worked out some of the issues they were having when it first came out. Judging by what is being said and their responses they haven’t bothered to do anything and don’t plan to.

Yes, the ESC can handle 8S. But that TP 4070-CM 3200KV motor is only rated for up to 23V (i.e. 6S). That's why I said he was over-volting the motor. I don't know how much of a role that might have played in the thing catching fire but I can't rule it out either.

Yes, the ESC can handle 8S. But that TP 4070-CM 3200KV motor is only rated for up to 23V (i.e. 6S). That's why I said he was over-volting the motor. I don't know how much of a role that might have played in the thing catching fire but I can't rule it out either.
Erm, yeah - over-volting motors may not be a good idea. But I'm trying to wrap my head around how this could have cremated the XLX2, given it was off the ground - just being blipped.

1000016599.png

Boom!

Flames licking at his hand, buggy was thrown out of the shop.

Obviously, the first thing KT reaches for is the camera. 🤣 'Footage'.

Followed by the fire extinguisher. 🤪

F$&@?:);$ck Castle. I really thought they had worked out some of the issues they were having when it first came out. Judging by what is being said and their responses they haven’t bothered to do anything and don’t plan to.
That's not entirely true. From my understanding there was an issue with early batches of XLX2s catching fire due to insufficient insulation between the PCB and the case which resulted in dead shorts inside the case when something on the PCB made contact with the case which, it is my understanding, they addressed and rectified in subsequent batches. I know that for a while it was said that there was an issue with the firmware and that was somehow causing issues with Delta motors (they even put out a revision that supposedly addressed this "issue") but, I'm unconvinced this was the case since the current WR holder James McCoy runs a much older FW on his XLX2s and I know for certain that he's run plenty of Delta winds through them without any of the aforementioned problems.

Now, just to be clear, I'm not saying that Castle didn't make any tweaks to their FW or that they, in good faith, believed it to have improved the XLX2s compatibility with D-winds. But the problem with an intermittent problem such as it was, it is entirely conceivable (this is just conjecture on my part) that they wrote the new FW, installed it on 10 or 20 ESCs and tested D-wind motors on them for a week or two. When no ESC blew up, the issue was resolved in their eyes. But what if they just happened to install it on 20 ESCs that were fine, that wouldn't have had any issues even without the FW update? Then the problem would have remained unresolved. The question is, how much testing can we expect them to do before declaring a known issue resolved? If this were a full sized car with people on board, my answer would be, "Until the problem has been identified with 100% certainty and tested for the equivalent of 1,000,000 miles" or something to that effect. But for an RC vehicle ESC...I don't think that Castle is a huge company or has a gigantic budget for testing stuff like this. I think they have like 60 or 70 employees so I try to keep my expectations realistic. Is that ideal? No. Is there an alternative that's as good or better at the same price point? No, not even remotely.

What also isn't known is: how many XLX2s are actually out in the wild and in service and how many functioning ESCs are there per failure? But since they're not a publicly traded company, we probably never will either.

These things aren't quite so black and white. While I have my own gripes with Castle, they currently make the best ESC for speed running and that's kinda end of story (for me...YMMV). There are inherent risks involved. The only thing we can do is our best to ensure that everything is as neat & tidy as possible and then let the chips fall where they may.

Erm, yeah - over-volting motors may not be a good idea. But I'm trying to wrap my head around how this could have cremated the XLX2, given it was off the ground - just being blipped.

View attachment 352511
Boom!

Flames licking at his hand, buggy was thrown out of the shop.

Obviously, the first thing KT reaches for is the camera. 🤣 'Footage'.

Followed by the fire extinguisher. 🤪
Priorities son, priorities!! :LOL:

Last edited:
That's not entirely true. From my understanding there was an issue with early batches of XLX2s catching fire due to insufficient insulation between the PCB and the case which resulted in dead shorts inside the case when something on the PCB made contact with the case which, it is my understanding, they addressed and rectified in subsequent batches. I know that for a while it was said that there was an issue with the firmware and that was somehow causing issues with Delta motors (they even put out a revision that supposedly addressed this "issue") but, I'm unconvinced this was the case since the current WR holder James McCoy runs a much older FW on his XLX2s and I know for certain that he's run plenty of Delta winds through them without any of the aforementioned problems.

Now, just to be clear, I'm not saying that Castle didn't make any tweaks to their FW or that they, in good faith, believed it to have improved the XLX2s compatibility with D-winds. But the problem with an intermittent problem such as it was, it is entirely conceivable (this is just conjecture on my part) that they wrote the new FW, installed it on 10 or 20 ESCs and tested D-wind motors on them for a week or two. When no ESC blew up, the issue was resolved in their eyes. But what if they just happened to install it on 20 ESCs that were fine, that wouldn't have had any issues even without the FW update? Then the problem would have remained unresolved. The question is, how much testing can we expect them to do before declaring a known issue resolved? If this were a full sized car with people on board, my answer would be, "Until the problem has been identified with 100% certainty and tested for the equivalent of 1,000,000 miles" or something to that effect. But for an RC vehicle ESC...I don't think that Castle is a huge company or has a gigantic budget for testing stuff like this. I think they have like 60 or 70 employees so I try to keep my expectations realistic. Is that ideal? No. Is there an alternative that's as good or better at the same price point? No, not even remotely.

What also isn't known is: how many XLX2s are actually out in the wild and in service and how many functioning ESCs are there per failure? But since they're not a publicly traded company, we probably never will either.

These things aren't quite so black and white. While I have my own gripes with Castle, they currently make the best ESC for speed running and that's kinda end of story (for me...YMMV). There are inherent risks involved. The only thing we can do is our best to ensure that everything is as neat & tidy as possible and then let the chips fall where they may.

Priorities son, priorities!! :LOL:
Wa wa wa Wa wa wa wa. Castle stinks I could care less about D winds and their 60-70 employees. If they keep ripping people off they ain’t gonna have a job. 💩

Wa wa wa Wa wa wa wa. Castle stinks I could care less about D winds and their 60-70 employees. If they keep ripping people off they ain’t gonna have a job. 💩
That's a good point, well made. 🤣

I would argue that you couldn't care less, but I know in this day and age - it's a mute point because nobody seems to care what these sayings actually mean anymore. 😝

If Castle Cremations stand by their products, they should honour the warranty claims.

Back