Castle MMX8s vs XLX2 thoughts/comments

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCSid

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Kraton 6s
Hey all I am in the process of building an Infraction and am trying to decide on an ESC. I am planning to go with a Castle and have been going back and forth on the ESC. I do plan to use the 1717 motor and I am planning to parking lot bash most of the time. I may also change the gearing and try to do some modest speed-runs every now and again. What are the risks/rewards pros/cons of going with either ESC? While I know that Castle sells the MMX8s/1717 combo I was thinking of the XLX2 in the event that I ever wanted to really change it up and focus on speed-runs. I that event, I could just change motors etc.
TIA for comments & feedback

What are you running this in?
Your K6? on 8s?

I have the 1717 mmx8s combo in my 1/7th hobao. Geared for 130kmh and weighing 5.4kg I have no temperature issues. I am not drifting tho and only pulling 170A peak when doing 0-120kmh acceleration. But when I decided to not connect my motor cooling fan because "only" 10c degrees outside, my motors rotor failed. The highest esc temp ever was 56c and motor 53c(with fan on). Even at medium temperatures AND 45k rpm passes the rotor kevlar wrap let go:confused:. So I had to buy a slightly cheaper replacement 1717 1650kv from castle for 170€...

Knowing that I would now probably try out the new Hobbywing max 6 combo if I was buying new. 200Amps capable.

XLX2 is better value if you want raw performance. And better value overall. But it was just to big and overkill for me. MMX8s and 1717 is a great combo. But I did add a DIY cap pack (<20€ in materials) to reduce the ripple from 2v to 0.6volts.

Defenitly a difficult decsision. Depends on what you want to do with the car.
Maybe someone has experience with xlx2 or max 6 esc....

Yes, I am building an 8s Infraction @SrC. I will use it for all around concrete ripping/bashing most of the time. If I get the itch, I will change up the gearing and try a speed run every now and an again. After some on-road driving time, on 8s, I would like to break 100mph at least once, just to have done it. That said, if I were to get addicted to the straight line speed, maybe some day I would look to change up the configuration and tackle more speed-runs. So I guess the real info that I am looking for; what are the downsides to running the XLX2 with 1717 motor? What would be the downside to just starting off with a 2028/800 or 1100 for aggressive driving that wasn't speedruning? and/or how far could I go starting with an MMX8s if I were to start changing motors? I am building this with a Perfect Pass GT Chassis, so I do have some room setting things up space wise.
TIA again!

I'd pick xlx2 in a heart beat. I have a lot of on road bashers and the xlx2 never sweats. My mmx8s rigs can overheat if I go too crazy with gearing. For a 50$ price difference it's no contest imo. I'd also pick the MMX8S over the new max 6 g2 in an on road basher but I like to gear higher than average person.

I'd pick xlx2 in a heart beat. I have a lot of on road bashers and the xlx2 never sweats. My mmx8s rigs can overheat if I go too crazy with gearing. For a 50$ price difference it's no contest imo. I'd also pick the MMX8S over the new max 6 g2 in an on road basher but I like to gear higher than average person.
Thx for the comments. Perhaps I have been too narrowed in my search for info. Maybe the XLX2 1721/1260kv Combo is what I really am after at this point. Any experience with that combo?

Thx for the comments. Perhaps I have been too narrowed in my search for info. Maybe the XLX2 1721/1260kv Combo is what I really am after at this point. Any experience with that combo?
No but I do have the 1100kv combo in a limitless and it's amazing. I bet that 1721 combo will be awesome as well. You could also consider picking up one of those xlx2/1100kv combos in the classifieds section if you want to save some coin. :cool: (y)

Edit: you'd need a new motor mount for the 1100kv motor though so I guess not really saving coins :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Thx guys. I did just pull the trigger on the XLX2/1721-1260kV combo. We'll see how she goes.
and a heads up, seems that THEY have the best Castle prices that I could find...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back