Outcast XLX2 up in Smoke

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a good point, well made. 🤣

I would argue that you couldn't care less, but I know in this day and age - it's a mute point because nobody seems to care what these sayings actually mean anymore. 😝

If Castle Cremations stand by their products, they should honour the warranty claims.
They do in some cases and not in others. I haven't been able to work out by what criteria they make that call but they do honor warranty claims (just not all of them).

They do in some cases and not in others. I haven't been able to work out by what criteria they make that call but they do honor warranty claims (just not all of them).
Warranty claims should be looked into - it should never just be willy-nilly handing out of replacements for people that go out of their way to destroy them through obvious abuse. That's fair enough.

But the stories we're all hearing are not exactly encouraging.

My experience so far with Castle has been excellent and I'm looking forward to the warmer weather to do some 0-60mph runs.

1000016600.png

1000016601.png

Warranty claims should be looked into - it should never just be willy-nilly handing out of replacements for people that go out of their way to destroy them through obvious abuse. That's fair enough.

But the stories we're all hearing are not exactly encouraging.

My experience so far with Castle has been excellent and I'm looking forward to the warmer weather to do some 0-60mph runs.

View attachment 352527
View attachment 352528
I hear ya. I don't find the way they handle warranty claims to be particularly customer oriented or customer friendly. I feel like there's a lot of room for improvement and growth in that area. A lot of my jobs have been in the customer support/technical support line of work and I'd do a lot of things differently if it were my shop. But it isn't so I won't/can't.

Their products have their issues but from my own personal perspective, they've been reliable enough to not sour on them and I hope that never happens...at least not as long as they have the undisputed speed run king of ESCs.

I received an email back from Castle. They are going to replace my ESC this one time. I was informed that my gearing 30/39 was too aggressive and that ESC and XT90s are only good enough for a Slash or similar sized vehicle . He did tell me the XLX2 was a 160 amp ESC. I was thinking it was at least a 200amp. QS8 connectors or bigger were recommended . In another email I was told that the fan comes on around 140 F but the ESC should never get that hot. In effect he told me the fan comes on too late.
In my opinion the fan should come on to prevent damage and not to fan the flames of a failure. Anyway I wanted to let everyone know what happened and I learned some valuable information about Castle ESCs. Speed running maybe but prolonged Bashing maybe not.

I received an email back from Castle. They are going to replace my ESC this one time. I was informed that my gearing 30/39 was too aggressive and that ESC and XT90s are only good enough for a Slash or similar sized vehicle . He did tell me the XLX2 was a 160 amp ESC. I was thinking it was at least a 200amp. QS8 connectors or bigger were recommended . In another email I was told that the fan comes on around 140 F but the ESC should never get that hot. In effect he told me the fan comes on too late.
In my opinion the fan should come on to prevent damage and not to fan the flames of a failure. Anyway I wanted to let everyone know what happened and I learned some valuable information about Castle ESCs. Speed running maybe but prolonged Bashing maybe not.
I don't take anything that castle dude says seriously. Even on their website they brag about speedrunners using xlx2 and those dudes are pulling hundreds of amps. Castle full of poop and just trying to cover their ass at the expense of treating normal consumers like idiots.

Dude told me I should lower STOCK GEARING with a fiddlesticking xlx2. I wish I could go back in time and ask him why anyone would spend 260$ on an esc if it isn't even better than stock spektrum poop.

I don't take anything that castle dude says seriously. Even on their website they brag about speedrunners using xlx2 and those dudes are pulling hundreds of amps. Castle full of poop and just trying to cover their ass at the expense of treating normal consumers like idiots.

Dude told me I should lower STOCK GEARING with a fiddlesticking xlx2. I wish I could go back in time and ask him why anyone would spend 260$ on an esc if it isn't even better than stock spektrum poop.
I wanted to ask him about all that bill shite but he had already told me he was sending me a new one so I backed off. They basically told me it was designed to fail if you use it the way it’s advertised. Him saying it was a
160 amp really surprised me. The XLX2 IS ONLY A 160 AMP ESC.

I've only had to warranty a castle esc once, a long time ago. Got a similar vibe of "your a dummy, but we'll send you a new esc anyway"

It was my first intro to brushless, which I had no business fiddling with.

He told me 32/47 was as high as I could go and not do damage to the ESC. I was still planning on gearing up because I could never get the ESC above warm to the touch.
I guess I did good not to burn it before I did.
He did tell me the only way to get true temperature readings is to pull data logs. I have no idea how to do that 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️? But I’ll learn

He told me 32/47 was as high as I could go and not do damage to the ESC. I was still planning on gearing up because I could never get the ESC above warm to the touch.
I guess I did good not to burn it before I did.
He did tell me the only way to get true temperature readings is to pull data logs. I have no idea how to do that 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️? But I’ll learn
Meanwhile people with max 5's can gear above that no problem. Hell, I still have xlx2 in my kraton 8s and outcast 8s and both of them are geared higher than that bs. My k8s is geared 31/39 and o8s is 39/47. There is no way i can be convinced that gearing like that is actually a problem for an xlx2. I've been running like this ever since my first xlx2 burst into flames and I've not had a problem. The xlx2 that did burst into flames was running similar gearing for over a year without a single issue. Matter of fact I didn't start having problems until I took out my tp motor and put in the castle 2028.

I don't know why they can't just fix the actual issue and stop treating us like we're all idiots.

I'm still laughing at xlx2 being a 160 amp esc.

Meanwhile people with max 5's can gear above that no problem. Hell, I still have xlx2 in my kraton 8s and outcast 8s and both of them are geared higher than that bs. My k8s is geared 31/39 and o8s is 39/47. There is no way i can be convinced that gearing like that is actually a problem for an xlx2. I've been running like this ever since my first xlx2 burst into flames and I've not had a problem. The xlx2 that did burst into flames was running similar gearing for over a year without a single issue. Matter of fact I didn't start having problems until I took out my tp motor and put in the castle 2028.

I don't know why they can't just fix the actual issue and stop treating us like we're all idiots.

I'm still laughing at xlx2 being a 160 amp esc.
I have already put a Max5 G2 in with the same gearing 30/39 and am a little worried about going higher. Right now I can run it hard as possible and it don’t get above 110 F
Motor or ESC. Hell the XLX2 never got hot by a temp gauge. I’m running the 1100kv. Does running an 800 vs 1100 make a huge difference in amperage? I’ve always thought the trade off of bigger gears would kind of even the two out but I could be wrong. What are you guys thoughts on the KV in these big heavy rigs?

I have already put a Max5 G2 in with the same gearing 30/39 and am a little worried about going higher. Right now I can run it hard as possible and it don’t get above 110 F
Motor or ESC. Hell the XLX2 never got hot by a temp gauge. I’m running the 1100kv. Does running an 800 vs 1100 make a huge difference in amperage? I’ve always thought the trade off of bigger gears would kind of even the two out but I could be wrong. What are you guys thoughts on the KV in these big heavy rigs?
I try not to go above 1100kv tbh though one of my XRT is rocking a 1270kv.

Hobbywing's be blowing up too though sadly! that was a max 5 g2

I try not to go above 1100kv tbh though one of my XRT is rocking a 1270kv.

Hobbywing's be blowing up too though sadly! that was a max 5 g2
Sure hope mine don’t flame out. It runs good but I ain’t sure if it’s got the same torque and speed. I’ve got the punch on 7 the BEC on 8.4 and the other stuff on default.

Back