Xmaxx 8s build. Hobbywing Max 5, 1556 motor 35/50 mod 1 gearing, wfo parts and Spectrum rugged radio

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Armarookie43

Very Active Member
Excellence Award
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Granite
  3. Infraction
  4. Kraton 8S
  5. Mojave EXB
  6. Outcast 8s
  7. Typhon 6s
Here's my build so far. I'm almost done. I just need to install the flysky gt 5 radio and receiver and I'm done. Brand new Rock and roll Xmaxx. B&M racing 25/35 mod 1.5 gearing and B&M racing motor mount. Hot Racing gear cover for the spur shaft, XT90 connectors, rear Rpm hubs, and I'll probably use the duratrax lockups x 22mm belted tires. WFO ESC plate, reciever box and mount for the ESC switch.
20201016_193335.jpg
20201017_005652.jpg
20201016_235141.jpg

OK I'm done. Radio binding complete and everything is in place. Now I just have to tune the ESC and radio. The ESC I know how to do, but this digital radio thing is new to me. I have to read up on that. I still have to do a little wire management for the fans too. I used the powerhobby 1/8 heat sink (secured it with some zip ties for now), and used a couple of 30x30x10 powerhobby aluminum housing fans. I used a Y connector meant for servos to power up the fans. Now the only thing left is testing. I'm going to go slow on this one since there's lots of new stuff here for me.
20201017_160000.jpg
20201017_155947.jpg

You won’t need any cooling fans for that motor. Looks good. You’re going to love the power. It makes the xmaxx handle like a ⅛ notorious.
I saw someone test it with the same set up and the motor got to about 180 degrees. Exocaged was testing it. But it was an extreme test driving though.Like non stop. I'll find the video.

You won’t need any cooling fans for that motor. Looks good. You’re going to love the power. It makes the xmaxx handle like a ⅛ notorious.
I noticed that the spur and pinion don't contact completely unless I put the spur against the far end of the shaft in the rear, but it came loose from testing today. I saw exocaged run his gears like half way contacting. I might have to do that in order to get a better bite on the spur shaft. ?

The wfo gears work perfect. I also bought a set of 33/33 b&m but haven’t tried them. I also have a set of gears from uk they needed some machining to mesh square. I hit it with my laithe and made it work. I’d say best fit is the wfo stuff.

The wfo gears work perfect. I also bought a set of 33/33 b&m but haven’t tried them. I also have a set of gears from uk they needed some machining to mesh square. I hit it with my laithe and made it work. I’d say best fit is the wfo stuff.
Yeah and the WFO gears have the D bore. The B&M don't. From what I have seen on video I believe that the WFO gears and motor mount are better than the b&m racing motor mount and gears. Too late. Next time. I do have another xmaxx that I will probably upgrade too later on. I just want to see if I destroy more stuff with the bigger motor and ESC compared to the Max 6 esc and higher geared xmaxx.

This one with the mmx8s and 800 kv 2028 wfo gears and b&m plate and mount is my second one. You learn from the first. Way more features and settings in the castle stuff using the castle link. I’ll take a few more pix of mine tomorrow.
Can i post them here?

3712C511-CAD8-45CE-A980-CB8D110CC354.jpeg
025DE0EB-9E92-4076-B6D7-DF222C46283A.jpeg

My hobbywing liked 30/35. That’s way too fast for this castle setup. Today I’m going to try 25/35 or maybe 25/33. See what that does. It appears the castle 2028 is a higher rpm? The mmx8s is tiny compared to a max 5! I would estimate it weighs half of what a max 5 weighs. That’s with my fat fingers no science.
As for worth it? I have no concept of money so I can’t help you there. Lol. I already did a build with a hobbywing so I wanted to try the castle. I wish I would have waited for the 1100kv. Oh well.

This one with the mmx8s and 800 kv 2028 wfo gears and b&m plate and mount is my second one. You learn from the first. Way more features and settings in the castle stuff using the castle link. I’ll take a few more pix of mine tomorrow.
Can i post them here?

View attachment 105142View attachment 105143
Absolutely! I love to see other rige. Thanks. I decided to upgrade my second xmaxx with the same specs, but this time I went with everything from WFO including the gears and motor mount. Hehe.
Is it worth the extra money over the hobbywing?
Who knows. My LHS had that system in stock but I felt that the 800kv motor is too much for the xmaxx (my personal opinion of course), even though I haven't tried that yet. Heck, I haven't even tried the 1100kv motor properly yet ?. Anyways, the castle system was over $400. According to exocaged, he thinks that the hobbywing stuff is better for bashing and the castle stuff is better for racing. I paid $313 for the max 5 and 1100kv combo direct from hobbywing with the 10% off coupon.

Last edited:
I also went with the Max 5 and 1100kv motor because WFO makes those parts like the ESC plate, switch and reciever box that makes the install clean and bolted to the chassis.

My hobbywing liked 30/35. That’s way too fast for this castle setup. Today I’m going to try 25/35 or maybe 25/33. See what that does. It appears the castle 2028 is a higher rpm? The mmx8s is tiny compared to a max 5! I would estimate it weighs half of what a max 5 weighs. That’s with my fat fingers no science.
As for worth it? I have no concept of money so I can’t help you there. Lol. I already did a build with a hobbywing so I wanted to try the castle. I wish I would have waited for the 1100kv. Oh well.
I hope your battery life on 25/35 is better for you. Today I tested the xmaxx again and before the spur got loose again I must have ran tops 10 minutes almost non stop and it discharged my 6400 mah 60c cheap batteries almost to zero. They only had like 25% left after I put them on the charger, so non stop driving would have been probably like what? 15 minutes tops? Wow. Yeah I do like the torque and speed though. I might have to use those 9400 75C SMC batteries that I have for the xmaxx then so that I can get a better run time. I don't run my xmaxx non stop anyways. Also, it sure is much faster and more powerful than the stock system. Even with a max 6 esc and 20/50t gearing with stock motor, that would not stand a chance against the max 5/ 1100kv motor. BTW, I set the spur gear further out into the shaft, which causes misalignment, but I think it might be OK since the gears are so big. I hope it stops coming loose on me like that.
20201018_151003.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like you could sneak your spur back a bit on the shaft. That’ll help square up the gears a bit more.
You’ll need higher capacity batteries. I’m running 8000 smc I want to say 100c. Might be 80c. Run time is about 15 minutes. That’s the case with any of my 5th scale electrics.
It sure is fun though. Isn’t it.
Pics of my hobbywing build. All wfo stuff 30/35 gears.
60D6D445-87F9-4CFD-8E2B-7E6F98B64A91.jpeg
6E248302-54A3-4CB4-BF55-9275331988F5.jpeg
0A47B055-0767-47D8-A343-B4514CACDCA0.jpeg
2E1DC3CA-2460-4347-B4D9-1261E7B537D5.jpeg

Looks like you could sneak your spur back a bit on the shaft. That’ll help square up the gears a bit more.
You’ll need higher capacity batteries. I’m running 8000 smc I want to say 100c. Might be 80c. Run time is about 15 minutes. That’s the case with any of my 5th scale electrics.
It sure is fun though. Isn’t it.
Pics of my hobbywing build. All wfo stuff 30/35 gears. View attachment 105223View attachment 105224View attachment 105225View attachment 105227
Yeah I can put the spur gear towards the rear more but that is making it come loose off of the shaft. Nice set up ?

Might have to remove that shaft and grind the flat spot over a bit more. Might not be far enough back?
I have at least 30 charges through that hobbywing setup. Only a broken front bumper. Driveline can take it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back