Xmaxx 8s build. Hobbywing Max 5, 1556 motor 35/50 mod 1 gearing, wfo parts and Spectrum rugged radio

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Might have to remove that shaft and grind the flat spot over a bit more. Might not be far enough back?
I have at least 30 charges through that hobbywing setup. Only a broken front bumper. Driveline can take it.
Yeah but if I go any further back on the shaft for the spur, it comes loose because the set screws don't fall perfectly on the shaft flat spots. Yesterday I tested it again on concrete and the spur didn't move anymore. I'll bash it like that and see what happens. I doubt it would damage those huge gears. Even on 6s, this thing is super fast and has so much more power than the max 6 and stock motor. It can flip itself over like in one throttle pull. It also wants to do standing backflips, but I'm not a fan of those because of the potential damage. I will not be self flipping it over much either. So yeah, this upgrade is well worth it.

So I decided to upgrade my second xmaxx with the same system but this time I used all WFO stuff including the gears and motor mount. These gears are soo pretty and they seem quiter and better built than the B&M ones. I was also able to align them better than the B&M ones. I tried it out already and everything worked fine. I backed flipped it off a chain link fence with no problem. Beast #2 is ready. I went with a DX5C this time for the radio. Same gear ratio 25/35.

20201027_103653.jpg

20201027_103628.jpg

My thoughts after a small bash :

One of my upgraded xmaxx trucks vs my new stock xmaxx.

This was after one bad landing (small jump). I landed on the right side front wheel. Broke upper and lower control arms. Also the steering link snapped. So after going with aluminum c hubs and steering blocks I cannot land bad apparently. But this was after a few big jumps from the previous outing. I might try the Outcast 8s tires on the xmaxx because those tires are way softer than both the duratrax lockups and badlands Mx 43. ?. I mean it took some abuse, but during that abuse I didn't land bad :
The damage :

20201213_193806.jpg

Last edited:
Double backflip attempts with big block Xmaxx and Outcast 8s didn't go well. Almost stock Xmaxx wins again 🤣:

I was breaking steering links and upper/lower control arms after every one wheel landings or bad landings in general. I went back to stock hubs and c hubs and trying out the stock tires again at 75% throttle rate. After one bash session I didn't break those parts. So I would stay away from these aluminum pieces.

20210116_214616.jpg

Trying to make my X-Maxx diffs more durable. Two runs went well so far :

Test #2 on shimmed diffs. So far so good. I did bend another driveshaft though. Bending driveshafts has been an issue for me too on the Xmaxx with these bigger electronics.

Have the wfo gears and mount, I have checked everything multiple times and can't figure out why this is happening. The gears seem to not be meshing correctly. It is noisy as heck like crunching when it drives. The xmaxx is only a week old as well and I have checked every single thing in the drive train with all but the spur and pinion perfect. Been playing with rc-cars for years so I am not new to this, but I wonder if I have gotten some mis cut gears at this time. I have little metal specks collecting in the area now and that is when I noticed the uneven wear on the gears.
20211024_181020.jpg
20211024_180946.jpg
20211024_181053.jpg
Any ideas?

Have the wfo gears and mount, I have checked everything multiple times and can't figure out why this is happening. The gears seem to not be meshing correctly. It is noisy as heck like crunching when it drives. The xmaxx is only a week old as well and I have checked every single thing in the drive train with all but the spur and pinion perfect. Been playing with rc-cars for years so I am not new to this, but I wonder if I have gotten some mis cut gears at this time. I have little metal specks collecting in the area now and that is when I noticed the uneven wear on the gears. View attachment 176005View attachment 176006View attachment 176008Any ideas?
What I did personally is to install the spur gear the other way (reverse to where you have it), because I could not get the teeth to align as center as possible. Maybe that helps. Not sure. I didn't have a that issue though. My issue was that the gears weren't noticed contacting me completely.

Yeah I had lots of damage to repair : rear upper and lower bulkheads, chassis, rear shock towers, rear diff ring gear and output drive. That was not fun 🤣

20220301_183757.jpg

That’s a good one! Fixing it is fun.
Better picture of the carnage. I showed the parts to the guy that works at the hobby shop since he only drives his Xmaxx on 6s. He was terrified 😱🤣:

20220302_101422.jpg

I'm done with the WFO titanium driveshafts. The pin keeps coming loose no matter how hard I tighten it (even with red loctite). That damages my diffs and drive train. It also damaged my ring gear on my center diff. I'm going back to stock since those driveshafts just bend. I'd rather deal with that than this BS. damaged internal gears on my diff. My case was also damaged. Oh well :

20220407_093137.jpg
20220407_092830.jpg
20220407_092117.jpg

That’s crappy. Upgrades aren’t always upgrades.
Absolutely true. I've never damaged my drivetrain so bad until that pin started giving me trouble. I totally prefer the driveshafts that you have to press in and out that pin.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back