🚨 Max 5 or Max 6 esc for drag??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My local drag racing club used to have an "Outlaw" class, where you could "run what you brung"; no rules. My choice of motor was a 4070cm TP motor (running 8S). I started off with a Max 6 and it couldn't handle the amp draw from the motor. The ESC got really hot, really fast. Then I switched to a Max 5 and my Infraction actually felt slower. It's because the Max 5 has such a low KV limit/rating. Then I put in a Castle XLX2 and WOW! It woke up the motor, the ESC ran cool and my Infraction was so fast!!

Castle - Speed Runs and Drag Racing
Hobbywing - Bashing

My opinion... castle.. other may chime in. But for drag or speedruns. Castle!
What if you actually answered the question as it was asked? I’m not being a jerk, I just want to understand how exactly a max six would perform versus a max five on the same motor.

What if you actually answered the question as it was asked? I’m not being a jerk, I just want to understand how exactly a max six would perform versus a max five on the same motor.
The Max 5 is the higher-tier ESC. It has better specs and costs more. That should tell you all you need to know.

For motors that are well below the limits of the Max6, I wouldn’t expect any noticeable difference in performance. But when you go to more powerful motors, the Max5 will shine over the Max6.

Like you said, I’m not being a jerk, but it should be obvious that the better ESC will perform better.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back