3D Print Support Issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donovan

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
So, lately my supported structures are looking quite bad. Not sure what the problem is, but I did notice my supports and supported structures aren't touching, not sure if that's the issue. See attached pics

CCR10S_v1 test bridge - UltiMaker Cura 6_13_2023 5_17_02 PM.jpeg

PXL_20230614_000900952.jpg

1) Can you flip the part and print it that way instead of using supports?

2) Is that PLA? I use PETG as support material with PLA (and vice versa) with a zero interface. Something to do with their chemistry that won’t allow them to adhere to each other.

Yes, I can flip the part around, but for some others I can't. And it is PLA filament

Is this PLA spool new or has it been hanging around awhile..?
Have you tried to dry it before use?

Also, give us some info of your settings that you're currently using so we can better help you.
Plus, what slicer and its version are you using?
What printer do you have? Stock nozzle size or modded??

What’s your z-distance setting between the support and the object?
.2mm
Is this PLA spool new or has it been hanging around awhile..?
Have you tried to dry it before use?

Also, give us some info of your settings that you're currently using so we can better help you.
Plus, what slicer and its version are you using?
What printer do you have? Stock nozzle size or modded??
Printer: Creality CR-10S
Slicer: Cura
Nozzle: stock
Also, the filament is only a couple months old and has been dried recently (Polymaker filament). Do you want my Cura support settings?

Last edited:
.2mm

Also, the filament is only a couple months old and has been dried recently (Polymaker filament). Do you want my Cura support settings?

Support is .2
what's the layer height?
What's the support angle set to?

Funny story about cura.. it won't produce z support distance numbers lower than layer height.. and .2 is not going to give a good first layer look.. run the layer height at .12 and a .12 z support distance.. it will look better.. also make sure you have enough meat (1mm) on the support roof to be able to pull it cleanly.. a concentric roof against a line first layer separates best..

.2mm

It would help.

So, lately my supported structures are looking quite bad. Not sure what the problem is, but I did notice my supports and supported structures aren't touching, not sure if that's the issue. See attached pics

View attachment 305693

View attachment 305694
Cura moment. Do you have the current version? 5.3 i believe. I try to avoid tree support for this very reason. They improved it on 5.3 still not amazing
The second pic is pretty normal. Could improve it for sure but genrrally parts of the model who need support like 90 degrees will look bad once the support is removed. Won't harm the function of the part. It will just not look esthetically appealing

Support is .2
what's the layer height?
What's the support angle set to?

Funny story about cura.. it won't produce z support distance numbers lower than layer height.. and .2 is not going to give a good first layer look.. run the layer height at .12 and a .12 z support distance.. it will look better.. also make sure you have enough meat (1mm) on the support roof to be able to pull it cleanly.. a concentric roof against a line first layer separates best..
Layer height is also .2 and support angle is set to 60 degrees, I will set the z support distance to .12
Cura moment. Do you have the current version? 5.3 i believe. I try to avoid tree support for this very reason. They improved it on 5.3 still not amazing
The second pic is pretty normal. Could improve it for sure but genrrally parts of the model who need support like 90 degrees will look bad once the support is removed. Won't harm the function of the part. It will just not look esthetically appealing
yes, I have Cura 5.3. Also, the problem still exists with normal supports.
Here are my Cura support settings, I haven't messed with them much.
Screenshot (10).png
Screenshot (11).png

Last edited:
Is that a custom rim design?

If not then attach the .stl file here (or PM it to me) and I'll run it on my printer & settings to see how it turns out on my end.

Layer height is also .2 and support angle is set to 60 degrees, I will set the z support distance to .12

yes, I have Cura 5.3. Also, the problem still exists with normal supports.
Here are my Cura support settings, I haven't messed with them much.View attachment 305784View attachment 305785

Your Support Interface Density looks to be quite low..
I'd suggest you bump that up to 50% (maybe even go Bold and crank it up to 60-65%.)
Plus, set its Support Interface Pattern = Zig Zag ,to achieve a much "cleaner" surface finish.

Just my humble 50cent opinion.

Is that a custom rim design?

If not then attach the .stl file here (or PM it to me) and I'll run it on my printer & settings to see how it turns out on my end.

Your Support Interface Density looks to be quite low..
I'd suggest you bump that up to 50% (maybe even go Bold and crank it up to 60-65%.)
Plus, set its Support Interface Pattern to Zig Zag ,to achieve a much "cleaner" surface finish.

Just my humble 50cent opinion.
Will do, I'll change my Support Interface Pattern to Zig Zag, and I think I will try 50% on the density first and see how it goes. I have something on the printer now and I only have one printer, so it may take a bit before I can report my finding. Thanks for the help!

Yeah interface pattern set on grid is no good.. any pattern is better than grid.. I prefer concentric.. but as long as the print pattern and support pattern are different it will release..

I run 100% roof density in all support situations, last thing I want is chunks of the support staying attached to the model.. I'd rather have a nice pop sound and remove it all in one chunk.. 🤷..

But I don't think you will ever get a clean first supported layer with a .2 z gap.. it's always going to look crappy imo.. I would only use .2 on huge areas of supported material, just so it's easier to remove.. but will undoubtedly look like crap..

If there is ever anything I need absolutely perfect, I toss it on my crx and print the supports in PVA with 0 z distance... of course this is not an option for printer's that don't print multi material..

If it were me printing that part I'd be running .06 layer heights and .12 z gap.. yep, it takes longer, but I'd rather have a cleaner looking part.. layer lines drive me crazy..😂
.06 layer height exampled below..👍

Attachments

• 20191104_103259.jpg
    20191104_103259.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 37
  • 20191104_103303.jpg
    20191104_103303.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 27
  • 20191104_103310.jpg
    20191104_103310.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
If it were me printing that part I'd be running .06 layer heights and .12 z gap.. yep, it takes longer, but I'd rather have a cleaner looking part.. layer lines drive me crazy..😂
Is that a carbon reinforced filament?
If so, what type is it? The carbon reinforced filaments ive used all specify minimum .2mm layer height

Yeah interface pattern set on grid is no good.. any pattern is better than grid.. I prefer concentric.. but as long as the print pattern and support pattern are different it will release..

I run 100% roof density in all support situations, last thing I want is chunks of the support staying attached to the model.. I'd rather have a nice pop sound and remove it all in one chunk.. 🤷..

But I don't think you will ever get a clean first supported layer with a .2 z gap.. it's always going to look crappy imo.. I would only use .2 on huge areas of supported material, just so it's easier to remove.. but will undoubtedly look like crap..

If there is ever anything I need absolutely perfect, I toss it on my crx and print the supports in PVA with 0 z distance... of course this is not an option for printer's that don't print multi material..

Thanks for your advice, I'll give it a try👍(Those parts look AWSOME!)
If so, what type is it? The carbon reinforced filaments ive used all specify minimum .2mm layer height
Just regular PLA, thanks though!

Yes, it's was a carbon fiber filled pla.. I cannot remember what brand it was, but if I had to guess I would say it was either protopasta or a cheap ebay filament.. cause it's the only two I've ever bought.. 😂.. that particular part had absolutely zero load applied to it so pla was the quickest easiest option.. that part evolved into pretty much every front wing/ airdam for the 3s line on thingiverse.. @jondilly1974 was the first one to remix my part into a front dam..

The suggested .2 layer height they recommend is for clogging reasons from the fiber.. definitely less chance of a clog at .2... But I'm willing to take that gamble for the very nice quality...😉

Nice, i do a lot of carbon petg and carbon nylon, i will try the smaller layer heights, whats the worst that could happen lol.
Now, back to the OP’s topic!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back