Big Rock 3D Printed Tires?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt LiL

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Typhon 3s
As I was looking on thingiverse today, I noticed a guy had created the rubber clip ties for the body clips that always break and he used TPU filament, basically rubber filament. I got to thinking, has anyone printed tires using TPU filament and if so, how did that go?

Last edited:
Yes I have and they provide very little traction. It’s worse than you’d think. Unusable.

That can be okay for drift tires or paddle tires, but not for general use on-road or off-road tires.

👆 Exactly.. tpu tires on pavement is exactly like ice.. but love me some printed paddles ..😎

Yeah those are the only ones I uploaded to thingiverse.. there are some decent ones I saw a while back that had 17mm hex.. let me see if I can find them..

Oh, @Surchaufeur I think had a file set not that long ago the more I think about it..

I've seen people printed tire foams for crawlers. Kind of lets them flex radially into the tire, but add stiffness to them flexing sideways on sidehills. Heres one, 3brothers

I want to try them on my SCX6 because it's so heavy it really squashes on sidehills.

Yes I have and they provide very little traction. It’s worse than you’d think. Unusable.

That can be okay for drift tires or paddle tires, but not for general use on-road or off-road tires.
So even with some type of knobs on the tires, there was no traction?

So even with some type of knobs on the tires, there was no traction?

Correct it's not about the profile of the tire.. tpu is a very slippery material, it is not like rubber, and can end up very hard with increased thickness...There is not a TPU on the market I know of that is soft enough to allow traction on hard surfaces like tar, concrete,etc.

But there is a material very much like rubber in the resin printing community.. it comes at a hefty price though . 😮‍💨

The hookup with TPU paddle tires in sand and snow is pretty stellar though..👍

Pretty sure this is the same setup @Surchaufeur was just playing with...

Rims..

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3911947

Paddle tires...

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3911933

Have you printed the body clip holders yet?

I have for other people, but I've never needed too use them... Very simple method I found to remove the clips, haven't broken one in years.. 👍

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back