Vorteks 6s Arrma, CoRally Hybrid Mini Basher video added

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimbobjr

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 8S
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Mojave EXB
  4. Outcast 6s
  5. Talion
  6. Typhon 6s
Another garage build here. It's been a while since I've built a basher. Been on a crawler kick for a year or so. I put this in the Vorteks prefix but the only 3s arrma part on this will be the body.

Going with several brands for parts. Arrma, Team CoRally, Force rc and Duratrax. Of course I will be making and designing a lot of my own stuff. Going for 7lb or so and a 11.3" wheelbase kraton/vortex style, over powered mini basher for small spaces. This will be similar to the Siren but a different layout using my own design and not tied to Arrma only.

This will take a long time, possibly all summer and will be very time consuming. Mrs. Jimbob has a lot of projects that do not include RC cars so I'm sure some weeks there wont be much posting. It will get finished though just like the rest of my builds. Check those out sometime....

20210514_140022.jpg

20210514_141155.jpg

Was that you that made the custom 4s Kraton and Outcast out of Duratrax, Arrma and Force rc parts?

Can't wait to see the progress! Did you have to pick the ugliest possible body though 🤣 I can't stand the look of the Vorteks 🤢

I can't believe I am about to type this, but here it is: I hated the look of the Vorteks when I saw the pics online, but I really love it in person.

I must admit that reading statements like this usually sends my BS-meter in the red immediately, but I am being very honest here. Out of the Granite, Kraton 6S and Vorteks that I own, I find the Vorteks to be the best looking of the bunch by a long shot...and I initially hated its busy color scheme.

This thread will be very interesting to follow. Thanks for sharing such an unusual build @Jimbobjr. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Was that you that made the custom 4s Kraton and Outcast out of Duratrax, Arrma and Force rc parts?
I built a trugified typhon and used the k4s for a body and also rebuilt a Force Muckraker with a lot of new old stock duratax racing parts along with my own carbon towers.
Can't wait to see the progress! Did you have to pick the ugliest possible body though 🤣 I can't stand the look of the Vorteks 🤢
Body is not too bad in person and will fit what I’m trying to do. Might end up with the c10 or Ford 1/10 body eventually. Had to keep it looking like an Arrma to start.

So I’m going to go with CoRally diffs, housing, motor mount, servo/receiver mount, battery tray and python chassis, cut down. Arrma arms (mojo or typhon),links, axles, driveshafts, steering blocks, hubs, body and typhon tires. Force rc shocks, duratrax mounts and maybe a few other bits. I will fab up some bracing, suspension mounts, towers and esc mount.

You might wonder why cr diffs. Well, they are very good. Ring and input mesh is perfect with no play because of the much larger input bearing they use. The ring and input gears also have wider engagement area. The corally chassis are much narrower than Arrma yet everything fits so win win.

For electrics probably go with a blx 6s motor, max8 and what ever servo I have laying around. Still waiting on a few things to come in the mail. Once I get a layout mocked up I will post a couple pics.

I built a trugified typhon and used the k4s for a body and also rebuilt a Force Muckraker with a lot of new old stock duratax racing parts along with my own carbon towers.

Body is not too bad in person and will fit what I’m trying to do. Might end up with the c10 or Ford 1/10 body eventually. Had to keep it looking like an Arrma to start.

So I’m going to go with CoRally diffs, housing, motor mount, servo/receiver mount, battery tray and python chassis, cut down. Arrma arms (mojo or typhon),links, axles, driveshafts, steering blocks, hubs, body and typhon tires. Force rc shocks, duratrax mounts and maybe a few other bits. I will fab up some bracing, suspension mounts, towers and esc mount.

You might wonder why cr diffs. Well, they are very good. Ring and input mesh is perfect with no play because of the much larger input bearing they use. The ring and input gears also have wider engagement area. The corally chassis are much narrower than Arrma yet everything fits so win win.

For electrics probably go with a blx 6s motor, max8 and what ever servo I have laying around. Still waiting on a few things to come in the mail. Once I get a layout mocked up I will post a couple pics.
Sounds like it's going to be another epic @Jimbobjr build! Can't wait to see the progression and the final result!!

Just a quick update. I have most of the parts. Still waiting on some drive pins and Mojave axle shafts. Not sure if I'm going g typhon arms of mojo yet. Made a stubby rear drive shaft. Hopefully that won't bind. Cant quite make it to 11.3" wb, 11.5 will have to do.

In the pics you can see how much thinner this chassis is compared to my typhon. Maybe 1/2" or so thinner. Nice that the steering post holes are keyed. More expensive racing kits will have those. The cardboard template will be the new rear end position.

Esc is going to be tight behind the battery. Trying to avoid mounting it on top of the motor/ dif mount which would throw cg off. Anyway...still have some thinking to do.

20210520_025208.jpg

20210520_025200.jpg

20210520_022330.jpg

I'm impressed that you know your RC components across brands well enough to cobble this together. I'm looking forward to your progress and envy your ambition!

I'm impressed that you know your RC components across brands well enough to cobble this together. I'm looking forward to your progress and envy your ambition!

I had the Arrma arms mounted up mount up pretty nice to the cr bulkheads and suspension mounts. Fit nearly perfect, top front will need a little mod to make them work. Mainly went with the Corally chassis because of its width and the motor is a good bit forward making it easy to shorten and not look ridiculous. Also having the servo and receiver box all in one saves a little space as well. Surprised to see sealed bearings in the CR steering rack. Chassis and towers are cnc machined and not stamped.

Where corally is lacking: links are kind of wimpy, suspension mounts are not keyed (slotted but still relying on the bulkhead) or bolted to the chassis, tiny arms, pillow balls pull out, plastic a little suspect...I’ll take a few pics comparing stuff but I think youtubers have covered most of this.

Where corally is lacking: links are kind of wimpy, suspension mounts are not keyed (slotted but still relying on the bulkhead) or bolted to the chassis, tiny arms, pillow balls pull out, plastic a little suspect...I’ll take a few pics comparing stuff but I think youtubers have covered most of this.
Not sure whats changed, but the v1 Kronos links are literally like butter, look at them wrong and they will bend.

Had some time this morning to work on this little car. Chassis is finished but will need some tweaking. Battery side is a little longer for now but I may make it symmetrical. Rear drive shaft has the pins pressed in and will work perfect.

Struggling with how wide to make this. I have one typhon and one Mojave arm mocked up. Not sure what's better. Never had the mojo arms in my hands. They are extra beefy compared to the typhon ones. I have all the parts here somewhere for either...what say you?

I will get some better pics of this once it's a little further and let you know what needs to be done to use the mismatched parts. They are not a direct fit...

20210522_111733.jpg

20210522_111713.jpg

20210522_111656.jpg

20210521_132509.jpg

20210521_161841.jpg

Can you set it up to try both and just stick with whichever one you like better?

Ahhhh that driveshaft...!!! 😍😍😍😍😍

When I built my project Mojavefied it was originally going to be truggyfied with Typhon arms etc, but when I saw the Mojave arms I went that route because they are extra beefy..!!
Typhon arms driveshafts etc I feel are easier to come by though as all these cars use them, Felony, Infraction, Limitless and Typhon..🤔
If it were me, I would go with Mojave arms.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back