8mm pinion problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshludden

Thai guy in Iowa
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Typhon 3s
  4. Typhon 6s
I've just begun switching to 8mm pinions to go with a tp 4060cm. Got a cheap set of 4, 19t-22t. Put the 22t on but couldn't get the pps mount to mesh tight enough. Got a 25t from arrma, but I CANNOT get the thing on the motor shaft. Even tried to dremel it out a little. Am I trying to use the wrong kind of gear? Now I'm stuck, help?

20220930_151412.jpg

34t spool
Personally I’d go 39 , 34 is small and yes saga all day , fast shipping too
Do you have the shorter adjustment screw in the pps ?

Attachments

• 3160D737-366E-4246-B31D-5363F23CDBE0.png
    3160D737-366E-4246-B31D-5363F23CDBE0.png
    797.7 KB · Views: 27
Personally I’d go 39 , 34 is small and yes saga all day , fast shipping too
Do you have the shorter adjustment screw in the pps ?
Yeah, it's the shorter adjustment screw. The way I had to lay everything out I really don't have very much clearance between the spool gear & the battery, so I was hoping to stay w/ a 34t spool. I'll just have to get some more 8mm pinions to try

20220930_165802.jpg

20220930_170651.jpg

Your total tooth count is too low. I think pps mount needs at least 71 ttc. You need a bigger spool or pinion.

Edit: apparently for 25mm motor mount hole spacing the ttc is 61? Poop idk 🤣

Your total tooth count is too low. I think pps mount needs at least 71 ttc. You need a bigger spool or pinion.
I'm realizing that now 🤪😕🤦‍♂️ New setup w/ the spool so am still learning. Just don't know how much bigger each gear is, diameter wise. Only have like 1-2mm bigger I can go til the battery becomes an issue w/ clearance. I'll just have to gear up 🤷‍♂️ my gear calculator says 130ish w/ the 25t

PPS mount TTCs:

The 25mm version will allow for a TTC Between 60 and 81 Teeth.
The 30mm version will allow for a TTC Between 71 and 92 Teeth.
59 will not work then? Because a 26t is geared towards 140 & I don't need to jump that far. Could I limit throttle to counteract?

Very loosely at best. You'd probably chip teeth. Personally, I wouldn't. I mean, you can test it, but it's going to have serious play with minimal engagement.
Given my clearance issues w/ the battery☝, how big of a spool gear could/should I go with?

Another thing I have to change 🙁...& buy😖🥺 Never taken apart a spool assembly, any forewarnings?
Nah, they're pretty simple. Nae worries. The other thing I forgot to suggest was try dropping down to 4S (you're running 6S I assume if a 26T would get you in the 140mph vicinity?).

Nah, they're pretty simple. Nae worries. The other thing I forgot to suggest was try dropping down to 4S (you're running 6S I assume if a 26T would get you in the 140mph vicinity?).
Definitely NOT buying new 4s batteries @ the moment. Still in the process of moving, trying to do this as cost effectively as possible. 😉

Might want to use a cigar torch on the set screws before turning them incase they have red loctite on them.
MIP wrenches of course help too.

I agree with the advice to move up to a 39t spur. That should be a solid next step.

Also worth noting that you might need some additional spool spacers. The stock 34t spool gear has a spool spacer built in where the saga gears do not.

Might want to use a cigar torch on the set screws before turning them incase they have red loctite on them.

I agree with the advice to move up to a 39t spur. That should be a solid next step.

Also worth noting that you might need some additional spool spacers. The stock 34t spool gear has a spool spacer built in where the saga gears do not.
Just curious, if I could as

Apparently I didn't really inspect the spool as thoroughly as I should have either before I put it in, was just too excited! How big of spacers we talking? Think any of those brass steering bushings would fit?

Just curious, if I could as

Apparently I didn't really inspect the spool as thoroughly as I should have either before I put it in, was just too excited! How big of spacers we talking? Think any of those brass steering bushings would fit?
As long as it's 8mm ID, you're good. Regular 8mm washers work too.

These are the spacers Liberty was talking about.
1664598325255.png

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back