Absolute disaster paint job..any tips?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I bought a clear 3s Typhon body have quite the airbrush setup and spent big money on this cool looking metallic green and then painted a light coat of black on top I was told to do that so it makes the color pop or something but as you can see it turned out absolutely horrible even the silver didn't turn out right.
I'm thinking about taking the stickers off spraying the outside with primer and then try it again..
IMG20231022153047.jpg
IMG20231022152910.jpg
IMG20231022152927.jpg

If you didn't say anything, I would say that's a nice Black and Silver paint job. (y)

Always use White Backer for colors to Pop. Silver backers as well depending on the primary color coat. I use black when I want to change the shade of a color darker. A blue metallic backed with black just turned it to a Black metallic shade. No Pop. A bad combination.
Nice work neat work otherwise.
Keep painting them and you will get it down well and you'll be doing multi colors with graphics. Painted numerous bodies. But I am no painter for sure.
Painting bodies is a hobby all by itself for many. I can appreciate a nice neat paint job. But don't have the patience for it anymore. I still paint but I know my limits. Quick rattle can jobs is as good as I get.
:cool:

Last edited:
From my view ,it doesn't look bad 🤷.must be my phone or maybey because the photos were not taken in the sun..as for spraying the out side ,before you attempt to even spray primer you need to clean it very well and it has to be scuffed a little.try using a dish washing sponge with the green scrubby in the back side and use that so the primer has something to byte to..as for primer don't use automotive.has to be for polycarbonate.if you don't buy the proper primer and paint it will just crack and flake off very easy .just make sure the primer has something to byte to first.after the primer it has to be wet sanded or you'll get a really rough texture. On your first coat of primer just do a very small mist coat.let dry 15 minutes in a warm ambient.then follow again with a second coat this time a little heavier..your final coat should cover the body fully..remember to go a little heavier in the 3rd because your going to wet sand it and you'll remove some ,just don't break through the primer..use guide coat if necessary..after wet sanding then clean it all down very well.do not use paper towel .it will leave lint .painting the out side is the same process as a 1/1 car.so if your going to use a backing do that first and layer your colors on top especially with candy paints..if your using rattle cans make sure your tip is clean after every use or it will spit instead of a clean stream of spray..you don't want that machine gun effect..same for air brushing clean that needle and lower your pressure to 30 pounds good luck ..oh by the way if you crash this cover ,good luck because all your hard work will be ruined👍
So I bought a clear 3s Typhon body have quite the airbrush setup and spent big money on this cool looking metallic green and then painted a light coat of black on top I was told to do that so it makes the color pop or something but as you can see it turned out absolutely horrible even the silver didn't turn out right.
I'm thinking about taking the stickers off spraying the outside with primer and then try it again..View attachment 328033View attachment 328034View attachment 328035
🤔 maybey it's OCD kicking in but on your last photo looks like your wing is crooked 🤷 seems like the left side is leaning in a tad bit

If you didn't say anything, I would say that's a nice Black and Silver paint job. (y)

Always use White Backer for colors to Pop. Silver backers as well depending on the primary color coat. I use black when I want to change the shade of a color darker. A blue metallic backed with black just turned it to a Black metallic shade. No Pop. A bad combination.
Nice work neat work otherwise.
Keep painting them and you will get it down well and you'll be doing multi colors with graphics. Painted numerous bodies. But I am no painter for sure.
Painting bodies is a hobby all by itself for many. I can apprciate a nice neat paint job. But don't have the patence for it anymore. I still paint but I know my limits. Quick rattle can jobs is as good as I get.
:cool:
So I spent $20 for 2oz of this metallic candy green...very cool shade,so your saying I should have backed it up with white? Same for the silver I reckon it had a lot of metal flake...thx for the tip...gonna try on another body but do the outside...primer it...tape it off...paint...then clear coat...
I did repaint my Bog Hog came out pretty good..little darker then expected but still satisfied ..an put dual wheels on King Sling..Wheelie monster so took em back off.. apologies for not being Arma BUT one of my 3 -6s Infractions is..lol
Peace

IMG_20230830_110026.jpg

Screenshot_2023-08-30-12-02-25-67_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

So I spent $20 for 2oz of this metallic candy green...very cool shade,so your saying I should have backed it up with white? Same for the silver I reckon it had a lot of metal flake...thx for the tip...gonna try on another body but do the outside...primer it...tape it off...paint...then clear coat...
I did repaint my Bog Hog came out pretty good..little darker then expected but still satisfied ..an put dual wheels on King Sling..Wheelie monster so took em back off.. apologies for not being Arma BUT one of my 3 -6s Infractions is..lol
Peace

View attachment 328043

View attachment 328044
Use white backing or silver or even a gold ..for a lighter base effect...the darker the backing the darker your main coat or coats will get

From my view ,it doesn't look bad 🤷.must be my phone or maybey because the photos were not taken in the sun..as for spraying the out side ,before you attempt to even spray primer you need to clean it very well and it has to be scuffed a little.try using a dish washing sponge with the green scrubby in the back side and use that so the primer has something to byte to..as for primer don't use automotive.has to be for polycarbonate.if you don't buy the proper primer and paint it will just crack and flake off very easy .just make sure the primer has something to byte to first.after the primer it has to be wet sanded or you'll get a really rough texture. On your first coat of primer just do a very small mist coat.let dry 15 minutes in a warm ambient.then follow again with a second coat this time a little heavier..your final coat should cover the body fully..remember to go a little heavier in the 3rd because your going to wet sand it and you'll remove some ,just don't break through the primer..use guide coat if necessary..after wet sanding then clean it all down very well.do not use paper towel .it will leave lint .painting the out side is the same process as a 1/1 car.so if your going to use a backing do that first and layer your colors on top especially with candy paints..if your using rattle cans make sure your tip is clean after every use or it will spit instead of a clean stream of spray..you don't want that machine gun effect..same for air brushing clean that needle and lower your pressure to 30 pounds good luck ..oh by the way if you crash this cover ,good luck because all your hard work will be ruined👍

🤔 maybey it's OCD kicking in but on your last photo looks like your wing is crooked 🤷 seems like the left side is leaning in a tad bit
It's just the arma lettering,it came like that at an angle from bottom to top
Supposed to be a metallic green an I put black behind it

I'm thinking about taking the stickers off spraying the outside with primer and then try it again..View attachment 328033View attachment 328034View attachment 328035
Go easy on yourself I think it looks great in my opinion. Silver and white backers work better for some paint types its all a learning experience.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back