Typhon Alignment beginner question +

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soaked

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am very new to the hobby and could use some help if you don't mind!

Bought my typhon 6s a few weeks back and im having a blast! Im 4 runs in. I had one semi significant crash, other than that its been smooth sailing!

What im observing is that the tire wear is quite uneven. To me the front left tire looks very off! I also have to compensate a bit on the controller, to make it go straight!(pic) Any tips on the tires? Is this normal or should i do something? I have a wheel aligment tool on the way from china😂

Second quick question. Last run with 6s a little pebble got stuck in the cooler fan! When i ended the run was when i found out! The motor was very hot! Have i damaged the motor? Also, can the pebble have damaged the cooling fan?

Tips will be very much appriciated! Sorry for the bag english and have a wonderfull weekend!

IMG_1671.jpeg

IMG_1672.jpeg

IMG_1673.jpeg

So the fan was stuck. Did a good cleaning and now its working again!

That uneven front tire wear is called too much negative camber. Can be fixed by tuning your pivot balls. When you make a pivot ball adjustment, you will need to make a steering link adjustment too.

Check your Toe-In First before doing the Camber. Make sure your Steering is always set to Neutral or Zero on the radio before doing any wheel aligning.
I find toe as well as camber to be all jacked up right out the Box. That much amount of wear to just one wheel is rather extreme IMHO. First Double check all related suspension and St relates parts well for any bending. A bad hit can tweak the Steering easily. I Highly suggest you look at your Ackerman Plate first. It is usually bent after a Bad hit. You cannot easily see it well. It is hidden below the the Top plate. Extreme Tire wear to one wheel is also a sign of this. Been there. If bent, remove it and hammer it flat again, or replace with a Better stronger 7075 Upgrade Ackerman Plate. (TLRT version or M2C upgrades are good) Rear Toe is "Fixed". But rear Camber is adjustable. Make that Zero as well.
I made my TLRT Typhon Zero Toe and Zero Camber. A good place to start. A "drop" of Neg Camber is ok. Any Postive Camber is bad. You always align all 4 wheels together, like you would a Scale car.
Use a "square" to set your Camber. Place it against your wheels to get Zero. ( wheel perfectly vertical)

>>>With any Wheel aligning, you must have the Lipo installed and Body in place, and On a Very Flat surface, to do this correctly.
Rig must be with it's full running weight before aligning.

Good luck.:cool:

Edited.

Last edited:
Thanks for the awsome feedback SRC and GoNitro! Now i have weekend project. Might have some follow up questions latet on 😄

It dosent look bent to me. Do i need to dismantle it fully? If i understood correctly, it should be obviously bent?

IMG_1682.jpeg

IMG_1681.jpeg

IMG_1680.jpeg

^^^ Yeah she is nice and straight. (y) Perfect.
Good to always check this First thing. Or you can be chasing a ghost. I bent these stocker 6061 soft alloy ones many times before.
Check you Steering links now for anything bent.. If not, then just do your Wheel alignment exactly how I stated above.(y)

^^^ Yeah she is nice and straight. (y) Perfect.
Good to always check this First thing. Or you can be chasing a ghost. I bent these stocker 6061 soft alloy ones many times before.
Check you Steering links now for anything bent.. If not, then just do your Wheel alignment exactly how I stated above.(y)
Love how you reminded him to do it with the batteries installed. Most folks don't realize just how little weight it takes to throw a camber or caster alignment off. And great call on the issue, too much negative camber ruined that tire.

+1
Too much Neg Camber.
I just find it very extreme. Like damage caused it, or is even missing a Camber shim on that side??? Or a very loose Lower Pivot ball?? Even out the box I never seen just one wheel do that. I always look over tire wear, periodically after a bash. It tells you there is a problem, before you ruin the wheels completely. One wheel that worn out ... I would replace as a set. Putting the new pair in the rear.
I always rotate my wheels, F-R, every several runs. Sometimes even cross rotating, L-R side. Getting way more use out of the whole set.

Last edited:
Thanks again so much for the replies! A tought occured to me when i read what you said about batteries. I actually purchased a lipo pack thats abit to big for the 6s: https://www.elefun.no/p/prod.aspx?v=51228
Could the size/weight be the problem?

Also, i had one pretty hard hit on my first run with a fotball goal post. I hit it with the front. I kinda felt the steering got slightly off after that.

I need to educate myself abit on How to adjust steering links, camber shims and other things mentioned here. Ive also read that there could be issues with the pivot ball? Anyways, got this video lined up for tomorrow:
If you guys have any good videos or sources om this, feel free to link.

Adding a few pictures of the steering arm and link, idk if u can visually diagnose anything, but u guys sure seem to know ur poop!!

Have a excellent saturday, and il post an update tomorrow

IMG_1683.jpeg

IMG_1686.jpeg

IMG_1685.jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back