Any carpenter's or window installers here?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In case y'all were about to ask about the uppers not touching the ceiling...
Yep, I planned that.

20230920_210630.jpg

House is now trimmed out and kitchen is done. Moving back in after I get the trim painted and walls touched up. Waiting for a vanity slab for the common bathroom but we'll be in before that.

View attachment 327187

View attachment 327188

View attachment 327189

View attachment 327190

Okay...
See!How well the rooms turned out when you don't slack off (from playing on your phone all day!)
Hahahaha.

Took you Long enough..
But man!
The results looks Fantastic!
Great job. 👍👍

Threw up the cabinets this past weekend.

View attachment 309603

View attachment 309604
Holy crapola, I just now see why you said that.😂😂 That was a friend who was helping me for the day in the pic. But I will confess there were many moments I spent on my phone either ordering stuff or scanning you-tube for tips on some of the installations I did here. It's been mostly a 1 man operation, even now, as I fill in all the brad nail holes in all this trim so I can paint it all (again). 😬
And a 1 man operation cleaning this dump up from all the grit and dust that's in this house.

Holy crapola, I just now see why you said that.😂😂 That was a friend who was helping me for the day in the pic. But I will confess there were many moments I spent on my phone either ordering stuff or scanning you-tube for tips on some of the installations I did here. It's been mostly a 1 man operation, even now, as I fill in all the brad nail holes in all this trim so I can paint it all (again). 😬
And a 1 man operation cleaning this dump up from all the grit and dust that's in this house.

Are You He-Man?

It will always come down to location and its normal weather conditions. 1/2-3/4 of an inch would be norm for Ontario. This has to do with expected expansion and contraction rates of the surrounding materials, normally wood. It protects the glass from breaking and being replaced every seasonal change. One of the most common examples that almost everyone has experienced is the "door that sticks every summer(or winter, spring or fall). Installers are more liberal with these spaces around windows because it literally isn't an easy fix like a door(you can always plane a corner or side down) and broken glass from faulty installations leaves them liable. As long as its properly insulated, secured, and covered, I'd leave it alone.

...Installers are more liberal with these spaces around windows because it literally isn't an easy fix like a door(you can always plane a corner or side down) and broken glass from faulty installations leaves them liable. As long as its properly insulated, secured, and covered, I'd leave it alone.
Look through follow up posts my man. This was resolved at a later date. The installation was poorly executed and the opening needed to be reframed anyway. After tearing out flood related damages I discovered termite damage to the, king, jacks, and header. It's in tight now, and glides like buttah!😜

Look through follow up posts my man. This was resolved at a later date. The installation was poorly executed and the opening needed to be reframed anyway. After tearing out flood related damages I discovered termite damage to the, king, jacks, and header. It's in tight now, and glides like buttah!😜
The fact that the post was originally done Sept 2022 slipped my notice. As per usual for me within this Forum. My pleas to @WoodiE for some special banner or marking even a prompt that pops up stating, "Are you sure you want to answer this post that has already been answered, dealt with and resolved 6 ways from Sunday long ago?".What I see on my end is a "recent" post popping up on my feed with your original query.
But glad it worked out for you. I swear there are more robbers in my trade than in jails or inner cities.

The fact that the post was originally done Sept 2022 slipped my notice. As per usual for me within this Forum. My pleas to @WoodiE for some special banner or marking even a prompt that pops up stating, "Are you sure you want to answer this post that has already been answered, dealt with and resolved 6 ways from Sunday long ago?".What I see on my end is a "recent" post popping up on my feed with your original query.
But glad it worked out for you. I swear there are more robbers in my trade than in jails or inner cities.
Lol, so sorry bud. I generally read through comments before adding my 2 cents, but I can see how this got ya. 😅

As per usual for me within this Forum. My pleas to @WoodiE for some special banner or marking even a prompt that pops up stating, "Are you sure you want to answer this post that has already been answered, dealt with and resolved 6 ways from Sunday long ago?"
We do...

1697625943693.png

Looks great! 👊🏼 Just curious, I'm a handyman. Is the space at the top for lights only, and wouldn't it make painting the ceiling a huge pain in the ass? Maybe painting the ceiling is something you only do every 5-10 years you're not worried about it.

Correct me if I'm wrong here but that doesn't pop up for us commoners lol Besides that, you wouldn't have received that in this case as the thread was "answered" the same day before mine.
It does. We just enabled it last night actually. :D

Looks great! 👊🏼 Just curious, I'm a handyman. Is the space at the top for lights only, and wouldn't it make painting the ceiling a huge pain in the ass? Maybe painting the ceiling is something you only do every 5-10 years you're not worried about it.
I made the crown trim into modular pieces. Although the reason for that does provide for ability to remove for paint ( if I ever need to do that), my main concern, was more for access to the LEDs for potential repair work down the line. I have a few screws that attach the crown base to the upper frame rails. Once they come out I can slide the whole assemble off in three section.

I made the crown trim into modular pieces. Although the reason for that does provide for ability to remove for paint ( if I ever need to do that), my main concern, was more for access to the LEDs for potential repair work down the line. I have a few screws that attach the crown base to the upper frame rails. Once they come out I can slide the whole assemble off in three section.
Nice! 👍🏼

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back