Any hardcore chili-heads out there?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan B.

Area man
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Granite
  3. Limitless
  4. Mojave EXB
  5. Notorious
  6. Outcast 6s
  7. Typhon 6s
If so, here is a recipe for a very traditional Mayan salsa. Chili Tamulado. It’s delicious, but not for the faint of heart. It’s hot as living hell. But oh, so good…. Takes about an hour and fifteen minutes, start to finish.
Ingredients:
50 habanero or scotch bonnet peppers, blackened
2 large heads of fresh garlic, roasted
juice of one grapefruit
juice of one orange
juice of 4 limes
salt
Instructions:
Cut the root end off the end of the garlic heads, do not peel or separate the cloves. Drizzle with olive oil, put them in a foil “packet” and seal it up. Roast for an hour at 400°
Blacken the habaneros on all sides in a dry cast iron skillet at searing heat. I use a convection plate for the skillet or the cast iron skillet over very hot coals. If you do this in the house on your stove you will probably choke, your pets will suffer, and your significant other will not be pleased. It takes two rounds in a typical 10” skillet to do them all.
Juice the grapefruit, orange and limes into a blender.
Cut the stem end from the peppers and throw them into the blender. Leave the seeds inside. If you want to ask, “can I remove the seeds and clean the peppers for less heat” then this is not the recipe for you. Go buy some mild salsa somewhere.
When the garlic is done roasting, squeeze out the roasted garlic from the individual cloves and add it to the blender. Let the garlic cool somewhat first unless you have asbestos fingers.
Blend it well, but don’t liquify it totally. It’s best if it’s still slightly pulpy.
Salt the batch to taste. Loves me some salt…
That‘s it. It makes about a full mason jar of salsa. It’s way too hot for most to use as a salsa dip (but I do) but it’s fantastic on eggs, tacos, burgers, soups, etc. And yes, @Johnny b , it’s fantastic as a dollop on top of some ramen.
But I will stress again, this stuff is no joke. It’s far hotter than any jarred salsa you’ve ever eaten from a store, but if you love habaneros then you will be in heaven.
Enjoy!
IMG_6198.jpeg

IMG_2758.jpeg

If so, here is a recipe for a very traditional Mayan salsa. Chili Tamulado. It’s delicious, but not for the faint of heart. It’s hot as living hell. But oh, so good…. Takes about an hour and fifteen minutes, start to finish.
Ingredients:
juice of one grapefruit
juice of one orange
juice of 4 limes
salt
Instructions:
Cut the root end off the end of the garlic heads, do not peel or separate the cloves. Drizzle with olive oil, put them in a foil “packet” and seal it up. Roast for an hour at 400°
Blacken the habaneros on all sides in a dry cast iron skillet at searing heat. I use a convection plate for the skillet or the cast iron skillet over very hot coals. If you do this in the house on your stove you will probably choke, your pets will suffer, and your significant other will not be pleased. It takes two rounds in a typical 10” skillet to do them all.
Cut the stem end from the peppers and throw them into the blender. Leave the seeds inside. If you want to ask, “can I remove the seeds and clean the peppers for less heat” then this is not the recipe for you. Go buy some mild salsa somewhere.
When the garlic is done roasting, squeeze out the roasted garlic from the individual cloves and add it to the blender. Let the garlic cool somewhat first unless you have asbestos fingers.
Blend it well, but don’t liquify it totally. It’s best if it’s still slightly pulpy.
That‘s it. It makes about a full mason jar of salsa. It’s way too hot for most to use as a salsa dip (but I do) but it’s fantastic on eggs, tacos, burgers, soups, etc. And yes, @Johnny b , it’s fantastic as a dollop on top of some ramen.
But I will stress again, this stuff is no joke. It’s far hotter than any jarred salsa you’ve ever eaten from a store, but if you love habaneros then you will be in heaven.
Enjoy!
View attachment 325707
View attachment 325708
how long will it keep in the jar in the fridge?

I believe @StephenSchandelmayer is a Spicy pepper expert..
Indeed I do have some experience.....🌶🔥
I just got two more orange crush bottles.... I love that one!!!!!...Mike
Hey hey!! I appreciate that 😁 glad you like
Ingredients:
juice of one grapefruit
juice of one orange
juice of 4 limes
salt
Instructions:
Enjoy!
View attachment 325707
View attachment 325708
Very nice dude that looks and sounds delicious. This is a picture of how we roast a few thousand pounds of habaneros at a time (probably only a couple hundred pounds in this picture)

Attachments

• IMG_9330.jpeg
    IMG_9330.jpeg
    239.7 KB · Views: 39
Indeed I do have some experience.....🌶🔥

Hey hey!! I appreciate that 😁 glad you like

Very nice dude that looks and sounds delicious. This is a picture of how we roast a few thousand pounds of habaneros at a time (probably only a couple hundred pounds in this picture)
A few thousand!?
What is it you do, sir??

I make hot sauce for a living! Forum guidelines don't want any sort of advertising but SauceCrafters.com is our site

I'll check that out man! I knew if you was roasting that much it had to be something like that 😁

Edit- thats awesome! I know just what I wanna try 😁 I'll prob be lookin like this ---> 😂

Last edited:
I'll check that out man! I knew if you was roasting that much it had to be something like that 😁

Edit- thats awesome! I know just what I wanna try 😁 I'll prob be lookin like this ---> 😂

I've sourced some of his custom sauces.
They are all Hot & Spicy 🔥
Delicious 🤤

I make hot sauce for a living! Forum guidelines don't want any sort of advertising but SauceCrafters.com is our site

Perhaps you should make some sauces -named after RCs ,then it would fit the themes of this forum and would conform to the guidelines.

Names like-

Devilish Gorgo
Medusa's Spit
Kraken Fire

how long will it keep in the jar in the fridge?
I’ve asked others the same and haven’t really received a definitive answer. It’ll definitely keep awhile, I had one batch several weeks before it was gone. It has a lot of citrus in it, and that helps to preserve it.
I make hot sauce for a living!
My youngest daughter does too! So cool! She works at ButterflyBakeryVT making sauces. They had two of theirs on The Hot Ones.
I love all manner of spicy things.

Last edited:
I’ve asked others the same and haven’t really received a definitive answer. It’ll definitely keep awhile, I had one batch several weeks before it was gone. It has a lot of citrus in it, and that helps to preserve it.

My youngest daughter does too! So cool! She works at ButterflyBakeryVT making sauces. They had two of theirs on The Hot Ones.
I love all manner of spicy things.
Regarding the life span, you are correct it does have a lot of citrus so chances are it would fall under a "cold fill" sauce. That means you have enough acid in the sauce to make the PH be 3.3 or below. You can buy a $15 digital pH meter on Amazon if you want to do a test. You will have to calibrate it but it's not hard they have the instructions all there. But if you do manage to be below 3.3 then the sauce should last 2 years easily in the fridge. We make a ton of cold pack sauces that last 2 years without being in the fridge. Our FDA rules say the sauces are best by 2 years but really they can go longer. We had a guy call us and tell me he had a bottle of something in his fridge for a long time and he ate it and it was great, he sent me a picture and it turned out to be around 8 years old......he said it tasted great!

Regarding the life span, you are correct it does have a lot of citrus so chances are it would fall under a "cold fill" sauce. That means you have enough acid in the sauce to make the PH be 3.3 or below. You can buy a $15 digital pH meter on Amazon if you want to do a test. You will have to calibrate it but it's not hard they have the instructions all there. But if you do manage to be below 3.3 then the sauce should last 2 years easily in the fridge. We make a ton of cold pack sauces that last 2 years without being in the fridge. Our FDA rules say the sauces are best by 2 years but really they can go longer. We had a guy call us and tell me he had a bottle of something in his fridge for a long time and he ate it and it was great, he sent me a picture and it turned out to be around 8 years old......he said it tasted great!
That’s outstanding information, thank you! I will indeed get a ph tester. I used to use them years ago in my aquarium hobby.

That’s outstanding information, thank you! I will indeed get a ph tester. I used to use them years ago in my aquarium hobby.
Perfect! Then you know what you are doing. Alternatively there is also the "hot pack" sauces that if you cook the sauce to 185 degrees you can have a pH of 4.1 or below and it'll last for 2 years in the fridge as well. With cold pack the pH kills bacteria after 48 hours and with hot pack the 185 degrees kills the bacteria and that's why your pH can be higher. Of course this is all FDA rules, you could really be higher than 3.3 and probably be fine but it's always a fun experience when someone sends us a sample of their product and we open the cap and it quite literally volcanoes on my desk because there is so much pressure built up from the bacteria not being dead lol

Perfect! Then you know what you are doing. Alternatively there is also the "hot pack" sauces that if you cook the sauce to 185 degrees you can have a pH of 4.1 or below and it'll last for 2 years in the fridge as well. With cold pack the pH kills bacteria after 48 hours and with hot pack the 185 degrees kills the bacteria and that's why your pH can be higher. Of course this is all FDA rules, you could really be higher than 3.3 and probably be fine

but it's always a fun experience when someone sends us a sample of their product and we open the cap and it quite literally volcanoes on my desk because there is so much pressure built up from the bacteria not being dead lol

I Want to see pics or Videos of such "surprise" pressures/volcanoes!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back