Any love for the Hobao Hyper 8 SC?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eno

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Mojave
  2. Notorious
  3. Senton 3s
I fancy a 1/8th SCT but don't want the Mojave 4S.
Yesterday I stumbled across the Hobao Hyper 8 SC and man what a rig. Looks to be a lot of bang for the buck! Their spares are also cheap as chips IMO.
Are any owners of said truck around? What's your opinion on it?

I’ve heard only good things about the Hobao 8sc

I own a few Hobao’s
Im no expert on anything 😂
But been very impressed with the quality and durability!

And love the fact the offer Rollers And ARTR at good prices!!

There’s a couple Hobao dealers on Facebook I’ve dealt with
that will give you a good deal!!
You can Message me if you want their info

what do you have against the mojave 4S

It's too expensive for what it is IMO. I prefer Dogbones/CVDs, metal chassis, etc. Plus it is too similar to my beefed out Senton (boxy chassis, etc.).

Hobao has a great reputation...BUT when I look at the truck 2 things jump out at me. 1) That body is hideous 2) All that crud & dirt that will end up inside that open chassis. Of course looks are subjective, but ultimately get whichever rig that makes you & your wallet happy :cool:

Hong Nor as allllllllways been ridiculously cheap to get parts from… I had super good luck with my old Hyper 8 nitro buggy 17yrs back… As was stated (and beauty is subjective 😅); every body I’ve ever seen from them looks like torn freakin colon. If you look on RCWillpower site, their parts get even cheaper..

I fancy a 1/8th SCT but don't want the Mojave 4S.
Yesterday I stumbled across the Hobao Hyper 8 SC and man what a rig. Looks to be a lot of bang for the buck! Their spares are also cheap as chips IMO.
Are any owners of said truck around? What's your opinion on it?
hey Eno, did you ever get an 1/8 SCT? I have an 8sc and it’s pretty good.

SCT are my absolute favorite so I had created my own Arrma 1/8 SCT using a Talion chassis and Mojave arms. It’s turned into a great SentonXL basher. I use the Hobao 8sc body. Now that a Mojave 4s exists, I now have a backup for bodies.

I wish Hobao had more love here in the US.
I owned the VTE2 and it was considerably better than the Arrma on-road platforms.

My only dislike was some screws had reverse threads which was odd, but not a deal breaker.
Owned? Did you get rid of your VTE?

Yeah, the left threaded screws are a departure but, I think the idea is to prevent them from getting backed out under tension from the shocks (I've never had this happen on other cars that don't have left threaded screws so I suspect it's just an over-abundance of caution). That's the only thing that made sense as it's always the suspension arm on your left if you're looking at the car from the rear or head on (from this side it's the car's right suspension arm but from your vantage point...left).

Owned? Did you get rid of your VTE?

Yeah, the left threaded screws are a departure but, I think the idea is to prevent them from getting backed out under tension from the shocks (I've never had this happen on other cars that don't have left threaded screws so I suspect it's just an over-abundance of caution). That's the only thing that made sense as it's always the suspension arm on your left if you're looking at the car from the rear or head on (from this side it's the car's right suspension arm but from your vantage point...left).

Yep currently I have zero speed run cars other than my 200+ custom build.
I don't know if I'll return to 1/7 scale cars again. I feel like its been beaten to death and there isn't much new to innovate in that area.

For me 1/2 of the fun is trying things and breaking new ground. The low cell stuff on 1/7 scale was new over the last few years and pretty stagnant now.

Yep currently I have zero speed run cars other than my 200+ custom build.
I don't know if I'll return to 1/7 scale cars again. I feel like its been beaten to death and there isn't much new to innovate in that area.

For me 1/2 of the fun is trying things and breaking new ground. The low cell stuff on 1/7 scale was new over the last few years and pretty stagnant now.
Bummer. I get what you're saying though. If it's not providing you with anything, guess it was time to move on.

As for the low cell speed running, Chris and Mike are still at it, not sure who else but, then again, the 2024 season hasn't really started yet so it remains to be seen. The weathers is finally improving here so I should be back out before too long. I've got some fresh 3S and 4S packs that still need to be tried out and I just ordered a new motor a couple of days ago, specifically for 3S & 4S. Maybe I'll even have another go at 2S. MAYBE. We'll see. :)

hey Eno, did you ever get an 1/8 SCT? I have an 8sc and it’s pretty good.

SCT are my absolute favorite so I had created my own Arrma 1/8 SCT using a Talion chassis and Mojave arms. It’s turned into a great SentonXL basher. I use the Hobao 8sc body. Now that a Mojave 4s exists, I now have a backup for bodies.
I did similar, though I used a Kraton 6s chassis.. Mojo 6s arms. I'm still running the Kraton body, but was planning on dropping an Asuga body onto it and calling it a Typhon XL. It runs and drives awesome.
I too dig the Hobao SC8, looks nice indeed. I love the looks of SCT rigs, but hate their appetite to collect everything they run over in the chassis,LOL. The Mojo 4s with the inner shields is a pretty nice feature..plastic pivot balls though .. really Arrma? Lame.

I wish Hobao had more love here in the US.
I owned the VTE2 and it was considerably better than the Arrma on-road platforms.

My only dislike was some screws had reverse threads which was odd, but not a deal breaker.
more RC brands penetrating the US market. Team Corally is doing ok so they need better marketing. Or Maybe they partner with a smaller brand like Redcat (or even Rlaarlo) to become their premium high end

IMG_0180.jpeg

I did similar, though I used a Kraton 6s chassis.. Mojo 6s arms. I'm still running the Kraton body, but was planning on dropping an Asuga body onto it and calling it a Typhon XL. It runs and drives awesome.
I too dig the Hobao SC8, looks nice indeed. I love the looks of SCT rigs, but hate their appetite to collect everything they run over in the chassis,LOL. The Mojo 4s with the inner shields is a pretty nice feature..plastic pivot balls though .. really Arrma? Lame.
You and I think very alike. I have an Asuga body too for a TyphonXL project. I got tired of seeing a Typhon body on an elongated chassis. The gap in the rear just didn’t sit well with me

Not yet ;)

Same for me!
Maxx Slash is now in contention 🤔

Last edited:
more RC brands penetrating the US market. Team Corally is doing ok so they need better marketing. Or Maybe they partner with a smaller brand like Redcat (or even Rlaarlo) to become their premium high end

View attachment 352497

You and I think very alike. I have an Asuga body too for a TyphonXL project. I got tired of seeing a Typhon body on an elongated chassis. The gap in the rear just didn’t sit well with me

Maxx Slash is now in contention 🤔
Dang! That SC8 is so awesome looking! Nicely done! I like the Maxx Slash, not enough to buy, it definitely doesn't look as good as your SC8, thats for sure.

Dang! That SC8 is so awesome looking! Nicely done! I like the Maxx Slash, not enough to buy, it definitely doesn't look as good as your SC8, thats for sure.
Thanks! Only non Arrma part is the body. Y’all can do this!!!

Thanks! Only non Arrma part is the body. Y’all can do this!!!
Doh! I guess I missed that.. that it's the Mojo armed Talion.. LOL. I had seen another member who had put the SC8 body on an Arrma LWB 6s, didn't seem to line up as well as yours. Perhaps he didn't open up the front wheel wells enough.. that thing looks almost factory on there, fooled me! I thought you had fortress wheels and tires on the SC8!!🤷‍♂️😉🍻

Back