Anyone interested in the new Redcat KAIJU MT 1/8

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I respect your position. You raise a good point. I concede.
The Kaiju has been on B/O for a while. It must be a hot item these days. When I pick one up I will share my experiences with it. Then I will become a member of the little club here and just may have positive things to say. My "chaos" wont be a big deal anymore. :unsure: I am not a hater of the Kaiju by any means. I just had experienced the "bad things" that RedCat did to me. I would expect more from a US based RC brand when I call them directly, preorder parts and wait 4+ months to find out indefinite B/O. The Kaiju is very cheap and affordable for a 6S rig. As is for many. I agree on that. The coin for me is not the issue.
Oh dang that sounds like a messed up deal on their end. What vehicle did you have if you don't mind me asking?

I had both Volcanos, the small and large one. Black red bodies.
Out the box shocks were leaking on both. They would have sent me shocks right away but did not have in stock. I asked for them to be returned and replaced under warranty. They said no while under warranty. I said no problem, " I will fill mine up, do you have oil to send me instead?", They said no they don't sell shock oil for them. Any shock oil will do." I asked what weight is in there?, they said they "don't know". No one there knew. Months later I needed a chassis, driveshafts and related parts and they were all on B/O. I perordered and waited forever (lost the whole summer waiting for them) , then called them and they said it is on indefinite backorder. SOL. Tech support is just non existent IMHO. Not that I need any tech support in general. I need the parts and appreciate better Q/C. They dropped the ball. No biggy. I moved on.
Kids in China build these stupid fast, like most RC goods. I understand up to a point.:cool:

I had both Volcanos, the small and large one. Black red bodies.
Out the box shocks were leaking on both. They would have sent me shocks right away but did not have in stock. I asked for them to be returned and replaced under warranty. They said no while under warranty. I said no problem, " I will fill mine up, do you have oil to send me instead?", They said no they don't sell shock oil for them. Any shock oil will do." I asked what weight is in there?, they said they "don't know". No one there knew. Months later I needed a chassis, driveshafts and related parts and they were all on B/O. I perordered and waited forever (lost the whole summer waiting for them) , then called them and they said it is on indefinite backorder. SOL. Tech support is just non existent IMHO. Not that I need any tech support in general. I need the parts and appreciate better Q/C. They dropped the ball. No biggy. I moved on.
Kids in China build these stupid fast, like most RC goods. I understand up to a point.:cool:
Wow, that just sounded like a poop show. I forgot they made 2 different sized Volcanoes.

And I'm sure this is too little too late but the 1/10 Volcano is just a rebranded HSP Brontosaurus, HSP parts are available all over the internet, it was also sold as the Exceed Infinitive, and the Maverick Strada MT shared a few parts as well, I think the 1/18 Volcano was also a rebranded HSP of some sort, I think Exceed also rebranded it and I think Maverick Racing did as well, but of course this is something that Redcat would never tell you. I'm sure if you had known that you would have had a better experience.

On an unrelated note I just noticed that the HSP Racing website is gone and their Facebook page is rather dead. I wonder if they went the way of the dodo?

Last edited:
I did get HSP parts. I always knew Redcat was rebranded, 99% of their stuff. Got HSP parts and also other relabled, same parts half the price Redcat wanted, Some upgrade alloy parts (arms)from HSP were even cheaper than Redcats plastic crap. But had to jump thru hoops with the Slow boat. It all made no sense to me. Moved on but with a bad taste for Redcat. I understand some people buy a rig and never even need to deal with the company directly. Parts support is key in any brand however. Upgrade support is zero. Its kind of obvious why.
I thought I explained that very early in this thread or somewhere on AF, before many even had this Kaiju. $400. is cheap, yes with flaws. Its not the coin that sways me either way, but the company. So Its not the Kaiju specifically. It could be any other product they make/outsource/sell. But I guess others don't see it that way. That's fine too. I got beat up on the Gen8 thread also. :cool:

Last edited:
I did get HSP parts. I always new Redcat was rebranded, 99% of their stuff. Got HSP parts and also other relabled, same parts half the price Redcat wanted, Some upgrade alloy parts (arms)from HSP were even cheaper than Redcats plastic crap. But had to jump thru hoops with the Slow boat. It all made no sense to me. Moved on but with a bad taste Redcat.
I thought I explained that very early in this thread somewhere, before many even had this Kaiju.
I must have missed that my apologies sir. I think the Exceed upgrade parts were overpriced like the Redcat parts were.

Redcats business model is all about re-selling parts that break. Sure RC parts break. Been doing it for 30+ years. Just that some brands are more RC'er friendly and don't beat you up with either inferior parts or by raping your wallet. Shelf queens are money pits and are born in this way. Sit on the shelf as a reminder of that bad taste. (y) :)

Redcats business model is all about re-selling parts that break. Sure RC parts break. Been doing it for 30+ years. Just that some brands are more RC'er friendly and don't beat you up with either inferior parts or by raping your wallet. Shelf queens are money pits and are born in this way. Sit on the shelf as a reminder of that bad taste. (y) :)
It's been working for Traxxas for the past 20+ years ?

Redcat doesn't actually make RC cars (except the Gen8/Wendigo). They're just a reseller of other people's brands.

I didn't buy a Kaiju because I didn't think it was going to have the quality I was looking for in a 4/S6S MT. I did get to borrow one for a couple of weeks, here's my thoughts.

https://www.teamredcatshop.com/store/c372/redcat-kaiju-aluminum-upgrade-parts

Really Redcat. Some hopups address problems while others are useless - as usual.

Wish I saw this earlier. Just spent $40 on spares I didn’t really need tonight. Took a high speed hit into a storm drain, only broke the C-hub (glued for now) and stretched the the outer part of the a arm (still holds but sloppy). I figure I can still play, just no hard bashing until those parts are replaced. Impressed again with the abuse it took.

It's been working for Traxxas for the past 20+ years ?
I know that about TRX. They are the King in this regard. But at least they pretend to have better support and put on a good show whilst doing it. At least they use Vaseline. I would buy a TRX over a RCat any day. But I digress. I don't fault anyone for buying what they buy. If it floats your boat, great. On this thread I enjoy the creativity used on the Kaiju here to approach it. There's a lot of experienced Arrma guys here good at that.
Calling Rcat for support convinced me that what they sell is barely hobby grade IMHO. But perhaps their pricepoint is in conjunction with that. :unsure: :cool:

https://www.teamredcatshop.com/store/c372/redcat-kaiju-aluminum-upgrade-parts

Really Redcat. Some hop ups address problems while others are useless - as usual.
:unsure:
Over $270 in Hop up parts that are not available. No pictures of these parts.....Out of stock?...probably never even released these parts yet. But at least they supposedly want to offer a metal spur gear. $400. +$270. equals expensive to me. Not much of a deal? The hop up parts are guaranteed to be required and necessary. With no guaranty that they solve the issues presented. The Kaiju was designed on paper from the beginning to need the hop up parts.
I feel bad for any newb buying this. $Frustration$ out the gate. I just don't see the value everyone praises here. I'm lost on this one. Help me out here.
An avid RC'er can handle this. Yes.:cool: The Kaiju is probably more practical to own running on 4S. Claiming 6S ready was just Redcat marketing to compete in a 6S market at a $400. price point. Having 2 Volcano's, 1/18 and 1/10 pro, I initially had no reservations about supporting a US based RC company. It just didn't pan out for me.

Last edited:
Over $270 in Hop up parts that are not available. No pictures of these parts.....Out of stock?...probably never even released these parts yet. But at least they supposedly want to offer a metal spur gear. $400. +$270. equals expensive to me. Not much of a deal? The hop up parts are guaranteed to be required and necessary. With no guaranty that they solve the issues presented.
I feel bad for any newb buying this. $Frustration$ out the gate. I just don't see the value everyone praises here. I'm lost on this one.
An avid RC'er can handle this. Yes.:cool:
That's nothing compared to the $1400 you can spend on the Maxx - which was part of the reason I sold it (plus I made $130 on it :D) But ALL of the Maxx upgrades were planned in advanced & are readily available NOW. It's a better built truck overall & much more layman friendly. Who knows how long it will take this stuff to roll out & I'll only be buying some of it anyway (hubs, rack, caps). I don't trust RCat's steel. It's just above Trx's sintered garbage in quality & it's suppose to be hardened. The losi 48t spur ate the stock pinion in seconds. I had to use a Novak 10t.

The good thing about Traxxasss is the popularity and they can be found used very easily all over the place. I don't see many Redcats or Kaijus being sold used. I found one Kaiju used and beat to crap listed as "can be repaired or used for parts" for $177 on EBay. I would consider a used Kaiju if the price was way good. I would like to have a hands on with it, beat it with a stick and sell it like I did with a TRX4. That was a "give me" though (free).

Over $270 in Hop up parts that are not available. No pictures of these parts.....Out of stock?...probably never even released these parts yet. But at least they supposedly want to offer a metal spur gear. $400. +$270. equals expensive to me. Not much of a deal? The hop up parts are guaranteed to be required and necessary. With no guaranty that they solve the issues presented. The Kaiju was designed on paper from the beginning to need the hop up parts.
I feel bad for any newb buying this. $Frustration$ out the gate. I just don't see the value everyone praises here. I'm lost on this one. Help me out here.
An avid RC'er can handle this. Yes.:cool: The Kaiju is probably more practical to own running on 4S. Claiming 6S ready was just Redcat marketing to compete in a 6S market at a $400. price point. Having 2 Volcano's, 1/18 and 1/10 pro, I initially had no reservations about supporting a US based RC company. It just didn't pan out for me.

:facepalm:

This post is exactly what I was talking about earlier, you cannot see the hypocrisy in your posts and that is what is pissing people off. Just please stop you aren't going to convince anyone that the Kaiju is worse than any other vehicle on the market.

I'm going to say this once and one time only there is no perfect rc brand or model all of the brands have their own issues, all of them break and not a single one of them gives a rats behind if you like them or not.

After searching some vids, it kinda looks like a blend of a notorious and a tekno mt, but doesn't appear to have the explosive power I'm used to seeing on either in 6s... but I can see it getting alot of interest at that price point

I’m still impressed, especially considering it cost me the same as my Rustler 4x4 VXL. I run it on 4s, which is still quite fun. I don’t jump too much, but the high speed crashes I’ve had show it to be pretty tough. And the parts I need are available and cheap.

After searching some vids, it kinda looks like a blend of a notorious and a tekno mt, but doesn't appear to have the explosive power I'm used to seeing on either in 6s... but I can see it getting alot of interest at that price point
Actually, IMHO it has more raw power than most 6s trucks out there. It simply has too much power on 6s, like running the ProMT 4x4 on 6s. It's VERY hard to keep it on the ground with the stock tires. I threw some Hoons on it, lowered it with zipties & it's a pure rocketship. But if you do that, make sure to turn down the steering dual rate or you can easily over-compensate it into a tumble bus :ROFLMAO:

I understand your visualization of the Kaiju, But with all due respect don't use the word Tekno Mt in the same sentence with Kaiju. I own an MT. There is absolutely no connection in similarity whatsoever.to be made.

Back