Anyone interested in the new Redcat KAIJU MT 1/8

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't believe Redcat would even knows what diff oils are in their Kaiju. Call Redcat and ask. They will probably guess anyway....at the sake of not looking stupid.....:LOL:
Funny thing. I once called HH to ask what was in the Super Rock Rey diffs and after being put on hold for a really long time they told me no clue.

I don't believe Redcat would even knows what diff oils are in their Kaiju. Call Redcat and ask. They will probably guess anyway....at the sake of not looking stupid.....:LOL:
Diff oil? Yeah, it's grease. Also, all the fasteners on the truck is junk metal, not even sure if it's 10.9. I replaced them all with 12.9 screws anyway. Once you get pass the QC of the thing, it's decent, but I feel that why about most RTRs - until I start ripping them apart to reveal the mess I got myself into :ROFLMAO:

I knew that 6500mah Youme 6s pack could last forever in the Kaiju, but I thrashed the thing for 40 minutes testing out the arms. Each one pulled out of the plastic once then I screwed them all the way in, leaving just enough for the rod end to grip on. Other than that, the turnbuckle is beyond strong enough to handle the nonsense I put them through. I even managed to pull out a steering link out of the straight plastic rod end - & nearly all of the turnbuckle was screwed in it. About 20 mins in, a rear shock shaft unscrewed & sent the spring flying at me. Maybe I should use a tiny bit of loctite of them - BUT - at the end I hit LVC mid jump & landed hard on a front arm which broke the shock shaft. It was easy to get out of the rod end since there was no loctite. Give & take I guess. But this thing survived more abuse in 40 minutes than I was ever able to deal my Outcast, even after fully upgrading it. It's something about this truck that makes me want to throw it around w/o any care in the world. After buying & upgrading 2 of them, I still can't figure out what that is :ROFLMAO:

20201009_130213.jpg

I recently doubled them up.

View attachment 101790
Hey man, I must be missing something...

I managed to get two bearings over the diff cups, but the one on the outside just kinda slides off now. The bigger i
I knew that 6500mah Youme 6s pack could last forever in the Kaiju, but I thrashed the thing for 40 minutes testing out the arms. Each one pulled out of the plastic once then I screwed them all the way in, leaving just enough for the rod end to grip on. Other than that, the turnbuckle is beyond strong enough to handle the nonsense I put them through. I even managed to pull out a steering link out of the straight plastic rod end - & nearly all of the turnbuckle was screwed in it. About 20 mins in, a rear shock shaft unscrewed & sent the spring flying at me. Maybe I should use a tiny bit of loctite of them - BUT - at the end I hit LVC mid jump & landed hard on a front arm which broke the shock shaft. It was easy to get out of the rod end since there was no loctite. Give & take I guess. But this thing survived more abuse in 40 minutes than I was ever able to deal my Outcast, even after fully upgrading it. It's something about this truck that makes me want to throw it around w/o any care in the world. After buying & upgrading 2 of them, I still can't figure out what that is :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 103751
Damn, that's strong! haha..

I'm still struggling with the diff cups and bearings. If I get the beardrings over the diff cups, the last one on the edge seems to just slide out. the bigger issue, am I supposed to hammer the dogbone into the diff cup? once he bearings are over the cups, the dog bone pin is slightly bigger than the opening, just keep pounding it in? I feel like Imight break it. haha.. any tips?

PSA - So, I figured out my problem. Not sure if I have my terminology right, but the pins in the end of the dogbones are just too long to fit inside a drive cup what has bearings over it. I can get the bearings on, no problem... takes a little pressure, but they both stay put.

It seems to be a manufacturer tolerance issue? I have 6 drive shafts on hand, only 3 of them fit in the drive cups. The other 3, I would have to find a way to shave some material off of the pin to get inside the drive cup.

Just sharing in case anyone has tried to cup bearings over the drive cups and can't figure out how to get the dobbones in there...
44312DF0-C1A0-4124-BE57-3C876B3E1398.jpeg

PSA - So, I figured out my problem. Not sure if I have my terminology right, but the pins in the end of the dogbones are just too long to fit inside a drive cup what has bearings over it. I can get the bearings on, no problem... takes a little pressure, but they both stay put.

It seems to be a manufacturer tolerance issue? I have 6 drive shafts on hand, only 3 of them fit in the drive cups. The other 3, I would have to find a way to shave some material off of the pin to get inside the drive cup.

Just sharing in case anyone has tried to cup bearings over the drive cups and can't figure out how to get the dobbones in there...
View attachment 104195
This is the same BS I had to deal with at first. 2 out of 4 driveshafts had super long pins - & they were on one side of the car, not just the front or rear. I took a dremel to the longer pins until they were the same length as the shorter pins. If they can screw that up, I'm sure they can mess up the cups too. I put silicone conformal coating on the cups before forcing on the bearings.

I've went through more arms mods for this thing than any rig to date. The upper arms simply experience way too much force to be made of garbage. The metal is pure junk & a weird 4.5mm. The plastic is terrible & a bad design. The aluminum upgrades will either break the turnbuckle or pull out of the bulkhead. My last arm design held up so well that I decided eliminate the nylon & make all the arms the same with washers & steel rivet nuts & use longer M5 titanium turnbuckles for the rear. Each arm ended up made from parts entirely from Amazon, like $5 per arm. The only part that took any time at all was cutting & drilling 3 holes in the 1/2" nylon rod.

20201015_082243.jpg

20201015_082442.jpg

It looks like it's going to be nice. Only $399 too. Thoughts? I've heard that their current bashers are not that durable. :
https://www.redcatracing.com/products/kaiju

I have a Blackout SC Pro and on the positive side, it's a super fun truck to drive, the receiver is responsive and it flies off of jumps beautifully. On the downside the suspension components are really weak and it breaks constantly. I upgraded the A arms to aluminum which is better than the originals which I think were made of graham crackers. Main issue now is the dogbone pins break constantly in the front driveshafts. I put some Prolines on it and I think they may just be too much wheel for it to manage. I will say I've had good experience with their customer support. But don't expect it to be Arrma tough.
I still have 3 jatos, 2 TMaxxes, 2 Rustler VXLs, still waiting for you guys to come and tar and feather me lol!

I like everything too man. I just bought a Maxx and while I'll be the first to admit it's overpriced it's a super fun truck and really tough. Traxxas does some cool things too like the clip on bodies which I really like.

I've went through more arms mods for this thing than any rig to date. The upper arms simply experience way too much force to be made of garbage. The metal is pure junk & a weird 4.5mm. The plastic is terrible & a bad design. The aluminum upgrades will either break the turnbuckle or pull out of the bulkhead. My last arm design held up so well that I decided eliminate the nylon & make all the arms the same with washers & steel rivet nuts & use longer M5 titanium turnbuckles for the rear. Each arm ended up made from parts entirely from Amazon, like $5 per arm. The only part that took any time at all was cutting & drilling 3 holes in the 1/2" nylon rod.

View attachment 104674
View attachment 104675
How do I purchase these? ?

How do I purchase these? ?
I would love to sell them, but sourcing the turnbuckles are a pita. Mostly slow boat mess. I was working at a way to eliminate them completely from the start but had no luck until this design. I'm trying to replace it with an M5 bolt. A rivet nut is seated into the nylon & another is there to reinforce the bolt. I don't know how it work yet so I'll bash it to death with the other arms :ROFLMAO:

20201015_134036.jpg

BTW, the stock steel turnbuckle is somewhere around grade 10 & @ 4.5mm, is stupid weak, so the 12.9 bolt should work wonders over that :rolleyes:

It's been a long 8 months of wrecking this thing & it can finally take what I can dish out - if only I can stop replacing stuff that don't need it (servo) :ROFLMAO:

It's been a long 8 months of wrecking this thing & it can finally take what I can dish out - if only I can stop replacing stuff that don't need it (servo) :ROFLMAO:

I've had better luck than you with those upper arms but I can't recommend a truck that needs that level of customization in order to be a viable basher. What you've done is not what you can expect from your average Joe Basher ? I need to run mine more and see how the stock arms hold up.

I've had better luck than you with those upper arms but I can't recommend a truck that needs that level of customization in order to be a viable basher. What you've done is not what you can expect from your average Joe Basher ? I need to run mine more and see how the stock arms hold up.
I actually beat on the truck for the first month in March w/o breaking anything, except for the spur. I was much nicer to the thing back then :ROFLMAO: Then I snapped an upper arm on a standing backflip, nothing major, landed it perfectly but it still snapped :oops: That's what made me look at the truck in detail & I found all the monkey metal & junk plastic I would expect on most HSP stuff. It had the potential, but that's it, just like the Maxx - I bought another one (roller), just to find the rear bulkhead was in 4 pieces instead of 2. :ROFLMAO: My 1st Maxx had the front bulkhead break as well. It's sitting in the same corner as the E-Revo mess waiting for me to buy ridiculous aluminum bulkheads. Out of all the problems I had out of the Kaiju, none of them were core structural. I wouldn't of even bothered with it if it did. Literally, 90% of this was working out the stupid arms. The upgrades took care of most of the rest. I still think the diffs will blow up one day but they pass with ease so far. But it's definitely not a viable basher out the box.

What's a better deal? New Kaiju for 370 lightly used 6s outcast v4 for 440.

Depends, used if often abused!
Yeah, I never seen a lightly used Outcast. Sounds like a mythical beast :ROFLMAO: I do have 4 Outcasts thanks to the $399 mess Amain kept on pulling, but none of them are lightly used in the slightest - & one you can't even tell what it was anymore :ROFLMAO:

Not a fan of the stock body for sure but the tires are very cool.
I'm saving up for my ......

Losi Desert Buggy XL "K&N" 4WD 1/5 Scale Buggy

Back