Anyone know about old 1940-50s, 45 records?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Velodromed

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Kraton 4s
  5. Notorious
  6. Outcast 4s
  7. Vorteks
  8. Voltage
  9. Infraction 4x4
I have five cases of approximately 12 records each that were my uncle’s. Looks like they’re 40s through the 50s. I saw some Elvis records and other popular bands from that era. They are my moms now and she asked me to find out what they’re worth and how to get rid of them. Does anybody know anything about these things?

50AD9566-F0BE-4700-BECE-396F359FFEBD.jpeg

Last edited:
Lol
I remember the lil adapter for the centers to play on the large record player
Lol
Omg you just gave me a flashback 😂 damn we are old.
All I can say is there worth what someone is willing to pay. Do your research. Putting them in the right hands may help you collect big time!
Yup, I just have no idea where to start. So I figured I’d see if somebody on here had dealt with them before or was a collector that knew what to do with them.

On ebay, looks like the average for a 50s one is about $10. But like Johnny said, all depends on the buyer and how rare they are. I'd research each one just to make sure there aren't any rare valuable ones. If not, you can always sell em as a lot.

Cool time capsules.. beleive it or not vinyl is still a thing.. I was looking through 33's the other day at Walmart of all places.. 🧐.. turn tables on the shelf and all..😎.. something about the sound that always draws me back to them.. well that, and growing up around stacks of them.. my father still to this day drops needles on them..👍

With anything.. condition, condition, condition.. probably worth a good deep clean before dropping a needle on them... Good thing is they didn't seem to see any big heat in their lifetime.. good luck on your research..👍

Cool time capsules.. beleive it or not vinyl is still a thing.. I was looking through 33's the other day at Walmart of all places.. 🧐.. turn tables on the shelf and all..😎.. something about the sound that always draws me back to them.. well that, and growing up around stacks of them.. my father still to this day drops needles on them..👍

With anything.. condition, condition, condition.. probably worth a good deep clean before dropping a needle on them... Good thing is they didn't seem to see any big heat in their lifetime.. good luck on your research..👍
I remember sitting there, listening to my record player when I was young. I love the way the needle sound came through, little scratches and hicks. But it’s been along time since I owned a record player…40+ years lol.

Vinyl records are making a comeback. Record companies are making a come back. Artists are starting to press albums again. Been a dj for over 25 years. I kept all mine and still play vinyl sometimes if I'm feeling like throwing down some old tracks. I know several people that are getting cheaper turntables for listening because that warm scratchy feeling/sound is really hard to replicate with modern digital music production, even with a vinyl simulator plugin. I MISS playing vinyl, digging through crates, flipping through album covers, finding gems at a yard sale. Technology is a double edged sword.

That being said...45's or LP's aren't really worth anything unless you're lucky enough to find some SUPER rare release in mint condition. I would go on ebay and search. I sell on ebay and it's a great tool for checking the market on anything you are trying to sell. Most vinyl records are just given to me.
I have a turntable tone arm tattooed on my forearm I got about 15 years ago..so I'm a huge fan of vinyl, and turntablism style djing lol..😎
So I grew up on cassettes. Can i still hang out here? 🤓
I still have alllll my "mixtapes" from the 90's and early 2000's 👍🏼

IMG-3942.jpg

My dad recently cleared out his record collection because they plan to move.
He sold several hundred records to a guy for around $100. This translated to about 50c each.

Those suckers are heavy when you have lots of em.

My dad recently cleared out his record collection because they plan to move.
He sold several hundred records to a guy for around $100. This translated to about 50c each.

Those suckers are heavy when you have lots of em.
It sucks when/if I ever have to move! I don’t know how many I have but it’s hundreds.

Vinyl records are making a comeback. Record companies are making a come back. Artists are starting to press albums again. Been a dj for over 25 years. I kept all mine and still play vinyl sometimes if I'm feeling like throwing down some old tracks. I know several people that are getting cheaper turntables for listening because that warm scratchy feeling/sound is really hard to replicate with modern digital music production, even with a vinyl simulator plugin. I MISS playing vinyl, digging through crates, flipping through album covers, finding gems at a yard sale. Technology is a double edged sword.

That being said...45's or LP's aren't really worth anything unless you're lucky enough to find some SUPER rare release in mint condition. I would go on ebay and search. I sell on ebay and it's a great tool for checking the market on anything you are trying to sell. Most vinyl records are just given to me.
I have a turntable tone arm tattooed on my forearm I got about 15 years ago..so I'm a huge fan of vinyl, and turntablism style djing lol..😎

I still have alllll my "mixtapes" from the 90's and early 2000's 👍🏼

View attachment 285337
Thanks! Sounds like it’s been a lifestyle for you. I will research each record and try to sell those. I’ll try to sell all actually for fun. If no luck, I’ll just look for a good home for them where they will be appreciated. Nice tat also!

I’m a bit of a vinyl junkie - lol. With vinyl, the value is largely based on several things:

- pressing - when and where it was pressed
- condition, condition, condition
- rarity

Take zeppelin, or the Beatles for example. The value on the same album can vary wildly (like $10 vs several hundred) depending on when and where it was pressed. Early pressings made in say Germany or the U.K. are more valuable due to the master/plate is less worn and Germany & U.K. used top quality presses and vinyl. They are also more rare in the U.S.

Most vinyl re-pressed in the 80’s is generally considered low/no value. The original masters were worn and the vinyl was junk.

After that, it’s generally rarity and condition. I don’t know much about 45’s and these things can be so niche, it’s hard to say TBH. But generally, so many of the 45’s were made, and made cheaply, they are usually not overly valuable unless there is something unique about the pressing or it’s a first pressing.

If any of the Elvis 45’s say they were pressed in Germany, UK, or Japan - do some research on ‘em - lol.

I’m a bit of a vinyl junkie - lol. With vinyl, the value is largely based on several things:

- pressing - when and where it was pressed
- condition, condition, condition
- rarity

Take zeppelin, or the Beatles for example. The value on the same album can vary wildly (like $10 vs several hundred) depending on when and where it was pressed. Early pressings made in say Germany or the U.K. are more valuable due to the master/plate is less worn and Germany & U.K. used top quality presses and vinyl. They are also more rare in the U.S.

Most vinyl re-pressed in the 80’s is generally considered low/no value. The original masters were worn and the vinyl was junk.

After that, it’s generally rarity and condition. I don’t know much about 45’s and these things can be so niche, it’s hard to say TBH. But generally, so many of the 45’s were made, and made cheaply, they are usually not overly valuable unless there is something unique about the pressing or it’s a first pressing.

If any of the Elvis 45’s say they were pressed in Germany, UK, or Japan - do some research on ‘em - lol.
That is some good information and I appreciate it! I haven’t had a chance to look into them yet but they are sitting there, waiting for me. It’ll be something interesting to learn about.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back