Anyone know bout solar panels for home?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gotnitro

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Had a guy ring my door bell yesterday with a no soliciting sign up..🙄 Anywho…

Here’s the deal: They install panels based off my usage, no back up China batteries in the house and the panels are USA made. IL is a net metering state which means the power I don’t use that’s still generated by the sun goes back through my meter, like Ferris Bueller did with Cameron’s dads Ferrari. Put it in reverse and it takes mileage off the clock.

I get a federal tax credit for over 10k when I do my taxes, I get a state issued check for over 10k between 4-6 months after it’s up and running. I’d have to come up with ALL the scratch first (or grab a loan) which would be about 33k. End of the day after I’m done, it’s going to cost me about 13k to have a $15.50 monthly electric bill from a very high average in my opinion. Forgot to mention, the panels would be on the backside of my house, no one would see them including myself which is a good thing. They also come with critter guards to make them look “plush” (can’t see under them when installed on the roof) and no fugggin birds making nests under them.

Dude told me sunrun doesn’t give you the state check, they keep it. I’m not concerned, I hear they use China panels anyway.

I know all the resale benefits too, the new buyer has basically no electric bill either.

No question but I’d like to hear from anyone with pro’s/con’s, questions that I’m not asking and should (I’ve already asked a lot) and do you like/love yours ETC.

I don't know a lot about these programs but I would really do the math on when's your break even point from recouping the investment costs, based on your average current electric bills. Also consider the age of your roof and when it might need replacing as there will be a charge from roofing company to remove and replace the panels. One of my neighbors paid an additional 6k for removal and reinstalling the panels from the roofing company. Also consider how long you may be living in the home. Finally, read the FINE print on your contract and be sure to understand the logistics of it. You may know all this already, just my input.

Last edited:
Different country, different programs, different maths. But for me. the expected return on invest/point of gain, ended up being only 5 years instead of 8.
More sunhours and temporary extremely high energy prices due to the ukraine war changed the math bigtime.
I did reduce other energy useage (natural gas/common here) as well, replacing stuff to electric (boilers, floorheating, car, ... )

In general solar panels are a real good investment here in NL. Batteries not so much, yet.

Modern meters don't run backwards anymore and are forced upon us by the network/energy companies. Drawn and delevered kW's to the network are measured seperately. Energy prices are starting to fluctuate a lot and so are contract terms. Fix price contracts are hard to get these days.

Yeah he said they take them off for a new roof for free, up to 25 years, in the contract. My roof is a 40 year installed about 8 years ago. Doing the math I’ve already figured it would take 7 years to break even with my monthly average adding in the new 15.50 a month as well. Life brings along surprises. Never know how long you will be at one place. Especially living in this armpit state.

I’ve been curious as well. I don’t know enough about it though.

My father in law did it a couple years ago. His take is that the break even point is too hard to calculate since there are so many unpredictable factors in the future. But at the end of the day, he moved forward with it to reduce reliance and pollution from coal/nuclear power. His small contribution to the world.

I run a 14KW system with two 5KW Sungrow Inverters…… Jinko Panels. I’m usually in Credit with my electricity bills.
Take into consideration how much Sun you’ll get throughout the year where you live, if there are any trees around that will block out sunlight hitting the panels, can they be mounted in the Sun facing direction that will get you the best return for the Investment. Here in OZ they are mounted facing North because of where we are on the Globe.
Check your power meter in 24 hour intervals to see how many kWh’s you use throughout the house. Send those figures to the seller before you sign up and make sure the system can at least match, if not do better.

The Sun has only been up for 5 hours. By the end of the day she’ll bring in over 80kWh’s

IMG_1043.png

Here is a fun site that will give you some information on what you can expect as well as some information on financing and leasing options.
Always good to get a second opinion.
https://sunroof.withgoogle.com/

I run a 14KW system with two 5KW Sungrow Inverters…… Jinko Panels. I’m usually in Credit with my electricity bills.
Take into consideration how much Sun you’ll get throughout the year where you live, if there are any trees around that will block out sunlight hitting the panels, can they be mounted in the Sun facing direction that will get you the best return for the Investment. Here in OZ they are mounted facing North because of where we are on the Globe.
Check your power meter in 24 hour intervals to see how many kWh’s you use throughout the house. Send those figures to the seller before you sign up and make sure the system can at least match, if not do better.

The Sun has only been up for 5 hours. By the end of the day she’ll bring in over 80kWh’s

View attachment 325561

Yes, the panels I'd be getting are Jinko's as well. I believe they are made in FL. On my quote, he went 107%. I have trees but the neighborhood I'm in is newer, trees are still small, so I get 100% of the sun if it's out.

I'm not looking into this to save the future planet. I'm trying to save my future pockets. ;):LOL:

Had a guy ring my door bell yesterday with a no soliciting sign up..🙄 Anywho…

Here’s the deal: They install panels based off my usage, no back up China batteries in the house and the panels are USA made. IL is a net metering state which means the power I don’t use that’s still generated by the sun goes back through my meter, like Ferris Bueller did with Cameron’s dads Ferrari. Put it in reverse and it takes mileage off the clock.

I get a federal tax credit for over 10k when I do my taxes, I get a state issued check for over 10k between 4-6 months after it’s up and running. I’d have to come up with ALL the scratch first (or grab a loan) which would be about 33k. End of the day after I’m done, it’s going to cost me about 13k to have a $15.50 monthly electric bill from a very high average in my opinion. Forgot to mention, the panels would be on the backside of my house, no one would see them including myself which is a good thing. They also come with critter guards to make them look “plush” (can’t see under them when installed on the roof) and no fugggin birds making nests under them.

Dude told me sunrun doesn’t give you the state check, they keep it. I’m not concerned, I hear they use China panels anyway.

I know all the resale benefits too, the new buyer has basically no electric bill either.

No question but I’d like to hear from anyone with pro’s/con’s, questions that I’m not asking and should (I’ve already asked a lot) and do you like/love yours ETC.
I actually have a wiring inspector come today at 1 to check my roof and wiring.its pretty much what you just described from my understanding.Everyones system is different .they go by home much you use during a 12 month span.they calculate how many panels you need to supply the energy you use .they don't give extra panels to produce more than what you need which I think that's the catch.🤷 I got a loan of 20k and after they give me the tax credit you apply that to the principal.some might get the whole tax credit one time ,others might wait till next year's taxes.if you need trees removed ,they will do it for a small fee
I need a new roof.my roof was done 16 years ago so it's time .they are going to put a new roof but my cost of the roof gets rolled in to the monthly payment for the panels..it's not something that gets done in a week or 2 .our time line all said and done is supposed to be by November 30 th.the first two months are free from what I was told.i just started this journey so I don't know the other steps yet.i know there will be more building inspectors coming
I shall see what else comes out way .good luck with your solar project..and I was told the break in even point is about after 6 to 8 years ..that's when you'll really start seeing the savings.unless you buy the system and don't finance

Yeah he said they take them off for a new roof for free, up to 25 years, in the contract. My roof is a 40 year installed about 8 years ago. Doing the math I’ve already figured it would take 7 years to break even with my monthly average adding in the new 15.50 a month as well. Life brings along surprises. Never know how long you will be at one place. Especially living in this armpit state.
Roofs are not free .you better ask because I'm doing mine and my roof is costing me 10 k which is cheap compared to what I payed before, but the cost of the roof is rolled in .and my monthly payment on the roof is also part of the monthly cost of the panels .which will be roughly around $60
So my site surveyor just left.he took some pics of my roof from a drone and he went into my attic to check the wiring, every is solid 👍so now next step is get permits from my city.they do all of that .no cost to us the customer.

Roofs are not free .you better ask because I'm doing mine and my roof is costing me 10 k which is cheap compared to what I payed before, but the cost of the roof is rolled in .and my monthly payment on the roof is also part of the monthly cost of the panels .which will be roughly around $60
So my site surveyor just left.he took some pics of my roof from a drone and he went into my attic to check the wiring, every is solid 👍so now next step is get permits from my city.they do all of that .no cost to us the customer.
Yes, I’ve already stated my roof is a 40 year and it’s 8 years old. They do remove the panels free if I were to do another roof.

The company that's doing mine is Boundless and the installers is by Freedom forever..they are rated top 10 in the country..who ever you go with ask for their contract license and look at there reviews.youll get some sort of idea how well they are .when the inspector was here today to check my attic he said I still had old braided wire .which Carry's electric to just a few outlets in our bedrooms upstairs.he said they will put new wire to all the outlets no charge.👍 .again I asked the installer if a new roof was free and he said no solar company is offering free roofs ..I already knew this but I'm just letting you guys before you start thinking it is .my roof is already on its 3rd set of shingles so i decided its time for a new roof.i have to waite and they will let me know when they are coming by to install the new roof ..
Yes, I’ve already stated my roof is a 40 year and it’s 8 years old. They do remove the panels free if I were to do another roof.
40 year roof? Meaning your roof is guaranteed for 40 years??? I've never heard that before.what do you have ? A metal roof?? The most I ever heard of a normal shingle roof last is roughly about 20 years.
I know some people don't like the look of the panels on the roof but honestly I see some houses near me with them and I think they look awesome.i also asked about snow on the panels like here in Rhode Island we get slammed with nor Easters and heavy snow .would I still produce energy if they are covered.i was told snow slides off easy like glass and anything else on them would just melt because the panels generate heat .I don't know I suppose I shall find out this winter coming
My bad .I misunderstood.i thought you said your roof was going to be free.so yes if / when you get a new roof ,which looks like in long time yes they will remove and reinstall for free.thats part of the warranty and maintenance.i was also told the panels are self cleaning.everytime it rains or snows they get cleaned by nature 😁👍

Last edited:
The company that's doing mine is Boundless and the installers is by Freedom forever..they are rated top 10 in the country..who ever you go with ask for their contract license and look at there reviews.youll get some sort of idea how well they are .when the inspector was here today to check my attic he said I still had old braided wire .which Carry's electric to just a few outlets in our bedrooms upstairs.he said they will put new wire to all the outlets no charge.👍 .again I asked the installer if a new roof was free and he said no solar company is offering free roofs ..I already knew this but I'm just letting you guys before you start thinking it is .my roof is already on its 3rd set of shingles so i decided its time for a new roof.i have to waite and they will let me know when they are coming by to install the new roof ..

40 year roof? Meaning your roof is guaranteed for 40 years??? I've never heard that before.what do you have ? A metal roof?? The most I ever heard of a normal shingle roof last is roughly about 20 years.
I know some people don't like the look of the panels on the roof but honestly I see some houses near me with them and I think they look awesome.i also asked about snow on the panels like here in Rhode Island we get slammed with nor Easters and heavy snow .would I still produce energy if they are covered.i was told snow slides off easy like glass and anything else on them would just melt because the panels generate heat .I don't know I suppose I shall find out this winter coming

My bad .I misunderstood.i thought you said your roof was going to be free.so yes if / when you get a new roof ,which looks like in long time yes they will remove and reinstall for free.thats part of the warranty and maintenance.i was also told the panels are self cleaning.everytime it rains or snows they get cleaned by nature 😁👍

Yep, 40 year double architectural roof.

That's what I'm getting.the architectural kind but I don't it's double.what is double ?
Not sure exactly. I’d have to pull the paperwork out. Maybe it was 40lb tar paper and it’s a 30 year roof. All I know is I don’t have to replace it for a long time. My home was 2 years old, I put a roof on it because I hate cookie cutter flat non-architectural roofs.

Most long term architecture shingles are 30 years max. A good roofer will not even install the 3 tab flat ones anymore especially here in Florida. My roof is 20 years old and still looks ok but I'm looking at replacing it in another 2 to 3 years. When I do, I'm tearing off the old rubber solar panels from my pool and glass panel from my water heater which never worked when I moved in and throwing them in the trash. :LOL: not knocking solar at all but these ones for the pool are useless as they only heat the filtered water and who needs a heated pool in Florida. If I was younger, I might get on the solar wagon but I may not live to see my break even point. Lots to consider. Do your research.

The break even point means squat to me, For me it's all about getting off of the grid and not letting corporations control your life and your pocket book.
Energy costs are going up rapidly and the grid reliability is far more unpredictable than years past. Those two factors alone make me want to tell my power company to go pound sand.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back