Anyone work from home ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rcproponent

RCP
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Nero
Weird topic, I know…

But does anyone work from home?

I am considering doing something absolutely crazy and quitting my normal job to do something more unconventional and try and so something at home so I can maximize my time spent with my family.

I am highly capable, I’ve worked with computers all my life. Been an analyst with a big aerospace company for the past few years and I am ready for a life change.

I know this may sound crazy to some. But I’d like to trade my higher paying for something I can do from home so I can spend more time with the fam.

Any advice? Tips? Networking opportunity you may know of?

Sorry if this post irritates some, I know it’s nothing at all to do with RC’s … but I figured it couldn’t hurt to ask.

Thank you in advance. :)

Last edited:
Thats awesome you are doing that and no it ain't crazy. Time with your family and to enjoy life is so much more important than making tons of money. As long as your family's lifestyle isn't going to change dramatically with the lower income.

Besides still being currently unemployed :rolleyes: , I did work from home for 3 years. I loved it!! More time with family, hobbies, naps, etc. No commuting was the best. Save on gas and wear & tear on the car.

Advice/tips:
Makes sure to have an office space seperate from the household. A room with a door is best. Somewhere quiet for calls.

Make sure family respects work time.

Be close to router or use LAN.

Get some rc runs in during lunch break. Naps in on other days.

Don't let it make you lazy.

Good luck with it all and good for you! (y)😁✌️

I’ve never done such a job. I don’t work in a industry that I could right now do so. But I have been considering trying something new or different and leave behind my very well paying trade job. I think if you can make it happen definitely try something new and put the best effort in. Having more family/personal time but less money is a good trade off to me.

You're already considering it which means you've already decided you want to do it IMO, but that's a daunting decision ESPECIALLY when you're giving up steady guaranteed pay.

If I had 2-3 years of living expenses saved up, maybe some nice assets, sure why not. I'd put that type of requirement on it to justify the decision I'm making and not be regretful or paranoid and stressed the whole time.

Absolute worst case scenario you have to go back to work in a couple years.

Its tuff working from home with a wife and kids. Its easy for them to need you or for you to become distracted with non work related stuff. If you can overcome that....
I've been working from home/mobile mechanics for 2 years. By far the hardest part is staying motivated and not distracted by the freedom. Way easier to have fun then focus on work 🤣

Might be easier in your line of work? Could be harder if your office is in the house with the family. 🤷‍♂️

I’m with you, ‘me time’ is worth more than a few more 💰 in the bank, IF you don’t need the additional💰 off course.
You say you have a high pay grade now, so most likely never or hardly think about finances. Last thing you want is that to change and financial stress starting to have an impact on you and your family. I‘d make sure to have some savings that will get you through a worst case situation not having a work assignment for AT LEAST 6 months. This should get you relatively worry-free though the start-up phase of your self employement venture and finding that first assignment.
I went from working for a NYSE listed company to a family owned company about nine years ago. Worked hard, learned a lot, had a good career, but at some point I said “I want to work to live” not the other way around.
Did a step back in salary, but with much more free time. Not a single regret👍.

Since Covid I work from home 4 days a week and only one day in the office. Most employers in my country facilitate working from home nowadays (post-Covid) and this method of working works very well in Software Development

I'm self employed (and let myself be hired as if I was my own Secondment Agency like CGI/CapGemini), but there is little difference in the working-from-home capabilities of my colleagues that are employed

Upsides would be:
more free time (because less commuting)/better sleep
save money on commuting
easier to combine with small household tasks
have lunches with the family
less distracting banter from co-workers

downsides would be:
Significant other/kids that sometimes barge in
in some occasions it's more tedious to discuss small things with co-workers (though Teams in generally works fine)
it's tempting to be distracted more by things like the Arrma forum
the initial investment in a proper desk-chair/monitor set up (though some employers might facilitate some things)

Last edited:
I'm a trainer in ERP software and work full time from home. I cut my hours to 30h a week 4 years ago to have more time with the kids. I guess they and me enjoyed it. It's not for everybody to work from home. I miss the separate office, since we don't have much space at home.

Some advice on the technical side I can give:
  • Invest in a quality headset like Jabra or Plantronics. Makes a huge difference.
  • Having a separate webcam can give you a better angle or view. If I wouldn't use one my clients would only see my head since I work on a laptop and I'm 6ft 3
  • Second computer and backups. Things break and the last thing you want is not being able to work.
  • Same for internet connection. I have two, one is a mobile data connection.
As I'm writing this I figured I have everything backed up. Second headset, second mobile phone.. Saved me numerous times. Which kind of seat or table is totally a personal thing. Me for example, I sit on a solid wooden bench with no cushioning. Never had back problems so far because it forces me to move around from time to time.

Hell I work at home all the time! Without pay!!😉🤣🤣
Just kidding. I've worked for peanuts my whole life, got what I need, all that really matters to me. It's a mundane job but punching the clock and not caring if the building implodes behind me on my way to the parking lot is priceless..
The question you have to ask is, can you keep yourself focused on work while at home with all the distractions? I know I can't, hell I can't even get myself out the door for work on time most days. LOL. I think it also depends greatly on how much you like what you do for work. If it's interesting enough then you should be able, if not, well, there's plenty of "better" things to be doing while at home. When on location at a job the decision is already made, I'm here, gotta work..
Side story..
My BIL and SIL had "good" jobs. He was some "Bob" type (office space) working for analytical company..stressed out all the time, flying all over the world and away from home/kids alot.. he quit that job, as did she quit hers, sold the 50 acres and beautiful 10 year old home and bought an big new diesel truck and 45' fifth wheel and headed west.. took a while for him to line up a good job, but he did, she did, and they seem happy. I call them gypsies now.. no place to call home but hey, their choice right? Too bad their teenage boys don't get the same consideration..
Anyway, he's (and she) working from a campground somewhere out there in mormon country, happily working remotely while their boys are kicking rocks wondering what the f#@k happened to their childhood. I feel for my nephew's..all the things they shoulda been doin, sports, girlfriends, raising hell.. all stripped from their option list. Just imagine hitting puberty and being stuck in a camper with ur brother and parents 24/7.. that's just wrong IMO.

Weird topic, I know…

But does anyone work from home?

I am considering doing something absolutely crazy and quitting my normal job to do something more unconventional and try and so something at home so I can maximize my time spent with my family.

I am highly capable, I’ve worked with computers all my life. Been an analyst with a big aerospace company for the past few years and I am ready for a life change.

I know this may sound crazy to some. But I’d like to trade my higher paying for something I can do from home so I can spend more time with the fam.

Any advice? Tips? Networking opportunity you may know of?

Sorry if this post irritates some, I know it’s nothing at all to do with RC’s … but I figured it couldn’t hurt to ask.

Thank you in advance. :)
I work from home and so does my wife. In short, it is amazing and neither one of us ever plan to return to office jobs.

Pros:
  • More time with family - I cannot overstate how much this matters. Everything else on the pro/con list means nothing compared to this.
  • No commute saves time, gas, and car wear
  • Cheap and good lunch
  • Easy to fit in doc/dentist/errands/etc.
  • Easy to keep up on house/RC/etc. projects instead of them piling up for the weekend
Cons:
  • Less human interaction has an odd effect - I miss it
  • Harder to develop work relationships for networking, promotion, and friendship
  • Easier to get distracted throughout the day - got a free hour on the calendar? Why not just run a quick errand instead of replying to emails. Then fall behind.
  • Sooo much time spent at the house. It gets a little weird. Lonely at times. Hope you have a big house.
I wouldn’t go into it thinking work from home means less money though. The opposite is true in my experience. The more a job pays, the more likely it has a flexible work from home policy.

I always worked for the Government. USAF 20 years, then USPS. Im a double dipper. Always made big $. It stinks going in , but it's fun leaving. Now that I'm retired, I find that it worked well for me. I have free medical, and a retirement that will last me till I'm gone. Something to think about. 🇺🇲 With that said, was I happy? Not always. Had to drop everything to move to different countries. Sucks hard .But at the end I ended back home. :cool: 🇺🇲. My jobs cannot be done remotely.Good luck.

Last edited:
I always worked for the Government. USAF 20 years, then USPS. Im a double dipper. Always made big $. It stinks going in , but it's fun leaving. Now that I'm retired, I find that it worked well for me. I have free medical, and a retirement that will last me till I'm gone. Something to think about. 🇺🇲 With that said, was I happy? Not always. Had to drop everything to move to different countries. Sucks hard .But at the end I ended back home. :cool: 🇺🇲. My jobs cannot be done remotely.Good luck.
That's a tough choice to make, and sacrifice. Thank you.
With regards to working from home, my job can't be done from home either, I'm kind of glad to be honest. I would surely get stir crazy being home all the time, our kids have left the nest but, thinking back on my own childhood, I don't think I would have liked my parents being home all the time either,LOL.
My dad retired from the USPS. He made a good living as an HVAC maintenance worker there, lots of free time based on the stories he told.. there used to be a drive-in theater next door, as an HVAC guy, he had access to the roof and worked nights.. oh the good ole days!! Lucky basturd!! He just passed this year at 89. We had lost touch, were never close TBH. RIP pops.

Although it's nice to have , money isn't everything. What's the sense in having alot of money when it comes with regrets and unhappiness? This is one of the reasons I've come to appreciate being self employed. I can pick and choose my jobs and hours. My neighbour across the street is a real estate lawyer and makes great money(hell lot more than me) but pays a steep price as far as I'm concerned. He has a 3+ hour commute into and from Toronto everyday and usually doesn't get home until his kids(toddlers) are already in bed. And often has to complete work at home on weekends. Guy always looks stressed and everything he does seems rushed. He's 12 years younger than me but could pass for my age if not older.
Dunno how content with life he is, but I can personally see him burning out or having a heart attack before he hits 40. And if he's lucky enough not to, I can see his children singing "Cats in the Cradle" one day....
Like I said, it's nice to have but doesn't fulfill us.

I work from home.
Depending on your workload, it is great working from home. You may be slightly less productive with the distractions, but you don't have to commute or go anywhere for lunch, so they usually get more hours out of you while working from home.

I had a 1 hr commute into Dallas, and it was the worst. I couldn't imagine going back to the office at this point.

I work from home.
Depending on your workload, it is great working from home. You may be slightly less productive with the distractions, but you don't have to commute or go anywhere for lunch, so they usually get more hours out of you while working from home.

I had a 1 hr commute into Dallas, and it was the worst. I couldn't imagine going back to the office at this point.
Good and bad in each I guess. I enjoy ball busting with the guys.. wifey makes my lunch every day. I'm blessed. I just gotta keep it going till I'm 70 or everything disappears.. new world order I guess🤷‍♂️😟

If you have the opportunity to try it, with little else to lose but your current job, I would say go for it. Your degree and experience lends to what I would think would be fairly easy get a job later on if needed. Secondly if you have some "funds" to get you by for a few month if you have no income helps the peace of mind. 6 month to a year savings is even better.

My experience has been with self employment, but never working from home. Owned restaurants for a bit, and the income was great, but after my daughter's were born I decided I wanted more family time, and making sure I was there or able to be there as much as possible. Sold the business and found another business 6 months later.

Current business allows me to be off on weekends and holidays now, and having some good employees helps me to be able to take off at least 3-4 weeks per year. This also however requires lots of time and some stress (just owning a business, taxes, etc) as it's kind of always lingering in your mind on how to improve.

Been doing this for 6 years now and is great, however I can see myself selling again and purchasing something even more hands off (car wash, laundromat, etc) so it's more passive income with less legwork and even more family time.

But happiness wise, the move which was scary at first Ended up being the best decision of my life and super thankful I took that leap. 🙌 Either way, keep your intentions good and things have a way of working themselves out with good people around you 💪🩶

I will say this, you start to get some cabin-fever symptoms from working at home all the time. I find myself needing to go outside for 1-2 hours daily just to stay sane, and when we can't do that then I'm definitely not the most chipper of people to be around.

By going outside, I mean getting away from the house entirely, like going to play with RC's or just go out on the motorcycle.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back