Kraton ARRMA Karton 6s oil/grease leak?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zesty_RC196

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Kraton 6s
Hello everyone,
I recently bought a Kraton 6s and I was driving it the other day(pretty heavily but not a lot of bashing, just drove it on the pavement) and when I finished I put it away. I went to work and got a text message from my mom saying it was leaking from the bottom of it. my dad checked it out and he said it was the gearbox?(Im not sure if thats what it's actually called or not). So my question is, it's not leaking anymore and he thinks it was just because it was hot and the oil/grease kinda melted because it was hot and so that's why it was leaking. Is it still drivable or do I need to purchase a new center differential(I believe that's what was leaking)? I haven't driven it since it was leaking just in case its something major.

Thanks,
Kevin

Hello everyone,
I recently bought a Kraton 6s and I was driving it the other day(pretty heavily but not a lot of bashing, just drove it on the pavement) and when I finished I put it away. I went to work and got a text message from my mom saying it was leaking from the bottom of it. my dad checked it out and he said it was the gearbox?(Im not sure if thats what it's actually called or not). So my question is, it's not leaking anymore and he thinks it was just because it was hot and the oil/grease kinda melted because it was hot and so that's why it was leaking. Is it still drivable or do I need to purchase a new center differential(I believe that's what was leaking)? I haven't driven it since it was leaking just in case its something major.

Thanks,
Kevin

Take a moment to study up on the internals and all the Arrmas are designed to be easily maintained, so this is a great opportunity to whip out the hand tools and get to enjoy the fun of wrenching on your own rig(s)..

Here is a great resource ,to see the mechanical details -

https://www.astramodel.cz/en/eview/arad81lr-kraton-6s-blx/chassis.html

You probably need to just add some diff fluid.

If it’s leaking, it’s at least got fluid so you got that going for you! May have been overfilled initially, but doesn’t hurt to open up and take a look at how it all operates. Do some research on how viscosity changes the functionality of differentials.

Take a moment to study up on the internals and all the Arrmas are designed to be easily maintained, so this is a great opportunity to whip out the hand tools and get to enjoy the fun of wrenching on your own rig(s)..

Here is a great resource ,to see the mechanical details -

https://www.astramodel.cz/en/eview/arad81lr-kraton-6s-blx/chassis.html

You probably need to just add some diff fluid.
thank you so much. I believe it's going to be the center differential. I can just take it apart and take it out and check to see if it just needs fluid right?

If it’s leaking, it’s at least got fluid so you got that going for you! May have been overfilled initially, but doesn’t hurt to open up and take a look at how it all operates. Do some research on how viscosity changes the functionality of differentials it leaking fluids
well that's a good thing lol. how can I look at how it operates while its opened up? or can I just take it out again and see if it runs good still?

If you roll the front or rear wheels independently with low/no fluid you won’t have any power transfer. The plastic case will eventually melt from planetary/satellite friction heat. Common upgrade is to go aluminum, and depending on if you like wheelies and flips heavier 500k+ fluid.

1687017799531.jpeg

If your truck is new it's probably an assembly issue. I would try just refilling it with stock fluid and give it a run. Snug up the ring gear screws good but don't tork them down, you're putting screws into plastic. If the ring gear seal is the least bit questionable replace it.

If you roll the front or rear wheels independently with low/no fluid you won’t have any power transfer. The plastic case will eventually melt from planetary/satellite friction heat. Common upgrade is to go aluminum, and depending on if you like wheelies and flips heavier 500k+ fluid.

View attachment 306413
yea I ended up buying a aluminum one just to be safe. just in case I had to change it out.
just take the centre diff out and check it will take about 10 minutes
what should I look for? to see if there's any more fluid in it or whatnot?
If your truck is new it's probably an assembly issue. I would try just refilling it with stock fluid and give it a run. Snug up the ring gear screws good but don't tork them down, you're putting screws into plastic. If the ring gear seal is the least bit questionable replace it.
yea its brand new, I bout it Saturday and Monday it was leaking from the bottom. do you know the Easiest place to buy the fluid from?

yea I ended up buying a aluminum one just to be safe. just in case I had to change it out.

yea its brand new, I bout it Saturday and Monday it was leaking from the bottom. do you know the Easiest place to buy the fluid from?
yes I would put 500k in there if your running 6s and just make sure your screws are not stripped out when you put it back together if they are you need a new diff case aluminum would be best (y)

model shop

Hey everyone. I have exactly the same problem. Kraton is brand new, and has been used 3 times. Came downstairs this morning, and saw a good sized blob of thick black oil on the floor, directly underneath the cog... Have read all the awesome responses above, but they all tend to assume that the reader knows what they are doing...

For example, the awesome reply from RC_Steve said "If your truck is new it's probably an assembly issue. I would try just refilling it with stock fluid and give it a run. Snug up the ring gear screws good but don't tork them down, you're putting screws into plastic. If the ring gear seal is the least bit questionable replace it."

So, question 1 - Refilling what with stock fluid? And once we identify what 'what' is, then is there somewhere I can go to find out how to do it?

And 2, 'snug up the ring gear screws' - ??

Is there a good place / site that I can go to that explains all of this stuff step by step?

Thanks

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back