Kraton Do I really need to grease my bearings and oil and shim the diffs? I am on 6s power. I have never owned a rc car before.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed. If your not racing then don't worry about them. Send it.
I respectfully disagree with this statement/advise.

Keep in mind that the OP has admitted that he/she is new to RC. With this being said, we should be giving him/her the best advise possible and let the person take the route they wish to take.

Just because these are labelel as "RTR" doesn't make it so. I've witnessed FAR too many quality issues on brand new trucks to consider them RTR. Because of this, I strongly recommend that the diffs be inspected for fluid level and backlash. I know what you're thinking, "But Mr.T, the box says RTR! I shouldn't have to do that! If that was the case, I would have bought a kit!". True, but Arrma doesn't sell kits.... nor true RTRs. As operators of these trucks, we are responsible for the preventive and corrective maintenance... even though they Arrma offers a warranty on parts.

Put it this way, would you rather:

(A) Poor yourself a nice coffee/glass of wine/beer and take a casual 1-2 hours to calmly and properly inspect the new diffs and feel confident that everything checks out or,

(B) "send it" as-is because you're excited and eager only for the diffs to (possibly) burn-out because they lacked diff fluid grease or backlash was off. Now you're pissed off, swearing off all ARRMA trucks for having to rip it apart, take the time to take photos, send them to HH... wait for their reply, more BS back-and-forth emails, and maybe they'll send you the replacement part(s) and get them 4-5 days later?

Scenario B could have been all avoided if scenario A was done.

Capeche?

I respectfully disagree with this statement/advise.

Keep in mind that the OP has admitted that he/she is new to RC. With this being said, we should be giving him/her the best advise possible and let the person take the route they wish to take.

Just because these are labelel as "RTR" doesn't make it so. I've witnessed FAR too many quality issues on brand new trucks to consider them RTR. Because of this, I strongly recommend that the diffs be inspected for fluid level and backlash. I know what you're thinking, "But Mr.T, the box says RTR! I shouldn't have to do that! If that was the case, I would have bought a kit!". True, but Arrma doesn't sell kits.... nor true RTRs. As operators of these trucks, we are responsible for the preventive and corrective maintenance... even though they Arrma offers a warranty on parts.

Put it this way, would you rather:

(A) Poor yourself a nice coffee/glass of wine/beer and take a casual 1-2 hours to calmly and properly inspect the new diffs and feel confident that everything checks out or,

(B) "send it" as-is because you're excited and eager only for the diffs to (possibly) burn-out because they lacked diff fluid grease or backlash was off. Now you're pissed off, swearing off all ARRMA trucks for having to rip it apart, take the time to take photos, send them to HH... wait for their reply, more BS back-and-forth emails, and maybe they'll send you the replacement part(s) and get them 4-5 days later?

Scenario B could have been all avoided if scenario A was done.

Capeche?

Please re-read previous posts. We were referring to the re-oiling of bearings out of the box, NOT the diffs.

Carry on. 😉

Please re-read previous posts. We were referring to the re-oiling of bearings out of the box, NOT the diffs.

Carry on. 😉
I must have gotten confused with another thread. Still applies.

Get to wrenching/learning my friend! Got a phone? Take pictures step by step to go back and reference. So long as you don't loose any hardware it'll be cake.
Can always watch some vids to see what your going to be getting into before you do it.
Can also always post a pic and ask us "uhhh where does this go?" And we will guide you 🙂

We were all absolutely new at 1 time.. no judgments.

Do I really need to grease my bearings and oil and shim the diffs? I am on 6s power. I have never owned a rc car before.

No

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back