Kraton Do I really need to grease my bearings and oil and shim the diffs? I am on 6s power. I have never owned a rc car before.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All 6s standard Open diffs will use these shims. A new in box 6s Arrma kit usually includes 4 of them in a separate bag. I can see many just tossing them out with the box or getting lost before realizing what they are for.

https://www.arrma-rc.com/en/product/washer-13x16x0.2mm-4/ARA709031.html

Get 2 or more packages to have on hand., They are delicate And somewhat consumable parts. I even received ones that were crushed/damaged being shipped in a small padded envelope. Tekno also has them. I use either ones.
I also use these same shims to take out some of the "outer" wheel hub's BB slop. Much radial slop there to deal with on most Arrma's. If you are so inclined.
:cool:

Last edited:
You haven't a clue how to teach then, it does matter what level they are. How you instruct someone is solely dependent on their level of knowledge in the field. This blanket statement could be said to you by a mathematician and he then gives you a problem you haven't a clue how to solve.

You can just say, "shim your diffs" "service all your diff fluids". But if they don't even know what a diff is then you haven't helped them at all. Which is usually what you do :ROFLMAO:
I have given step by step procedure many times in the past. Just search AF, find out who I am first.
Now I spend half my time here on AF doing just that all day long teaching AF members in my PM's who ask for help in specific areas. I never mind doing this.
Maybe I should send all my PM's to you since you are such a great Teacher.
I'm all fine with that. I will send that next guy to you, and the other 5-10 per day that I get. Deal??:ROFLMAO:

I have given step by step procedure many times in the past. Just search AF, find out who I am first.
Now I spend half my time here on AF doing just that all day long teaching AF members in my PM's who ask for help in specific areas. I never mind doing this.
Maybe I should send all my PM's to you since you are such a great Teacher.
I'm all fine with that. I will send that next guy to you, and the other 5-10 per day that I get. Deal??:ROFLMAO:
I don't care about your past lol, I am responding to this thread not the others you gave bad advise in.:ROFLMAO: I've seen your advise many times lol. Not my cup of tea or approach at all, it's to i know everything and you don't. Just annoying.

You said its irrelevant and i can prove its not, thats why I asked the OP. You could have just left it alone it was a correct question to ask.

Point being I was talking to the OP not you. You don't need to quote me and tell me im wrong. But if you do as usual ill call you out on it. No reason for it.

Last edited:
I'm not exactly new here dude. My reputation precedes me.
Sad that I have to brag about that to You. Because you haven't figured it out yet.
Stay in your lane.
I don't exactly see anyone else complain about my posts. I never claimed to be the be all end all.
Don't assume anything about me, when it comes to my posts.

I'm not exactly new here dude. My reputation precedes me.
Sad that I have to brag about that to You. Because you haven't it it out yet.
Stay in your lane.
I don't exactly see anyone else complain about my posts. I never claimed to be the be all end all.
Don't assume anything about me, when it comes to my posts.
LOL ive seen people call you out just like I do, saying the same thing I do. hahaha. I don't care if you have 30k posts. Its a forum not real life. It means nothing that your a vet here. If you think # of post on a forum makes a smart person.... well.. :ROFLMAO:

You obviously don't read well. I am not a teacher.
Never pretended such. Unlike you. Because you are a Star. Yes this is an open forum. It's as real as it gets. Disagreements are normal. So don't pretend to be some Star. If you only knew what people thought of you...... I will spare you the tears......
Best advice is to Stay in your lane. :cool:

You obviously don't read well. I am not a teacher.
Never pretended such. Unlike you. Because you are a Star. Yes this is an open forum. It's as real as it gets. Disagreements are normal. So don't pretend to be some Star. If you only knew what people thought of you...... I will spare you the tears......
Best advice is to Stay in your lane. :cool:
Again you who quoted me haha. You said It didnt matter his level of knowledge. So you must know more about teaching then me. Again with the Lane comment. You think your lane is different then other peoples or something. Odd comment with a complex about it.

Look man, I asked the OP a question, not you, why did you quote me and say the opposites i said? Stay in your freakin lane and don't quote me if its a meaningless quote other then to ask for trouble.

Haha i tear up anyone on forums that says and does dumb crap like you, im not on the internet to be a star or make people like me lolol, is that your goal or something? odd you would say that. Let me break out the im better then you card. I have gotten many messages from users of this forums stating I like you you don't take crap from pushy people on this forum... Got the same messages on RCTalk after that whole you cant self-right a vehicle pointless debate.

Again all this has nothing to do with this thread, so stop being pointless. You quoted me, i responded. Get over it, and move the thread on.

Stay in your lane. You figure it out. This thread is not all about you.
Let's respect the OP here, @J_hero6 ;)

Stay in your lane. You figure it out. This thread is not all about you.
Let's respect the OP here, @J_hero6 ;)
Yes respect the OP by not starting arguments with people by quoting them and saying the opposite for no reason. I have only respected the OP. You always try to make threads all about you with your pushy ways of questioning and forcing knowledge.

Was my question not to the OP or was it to you???? ok then.... moving on lol

No reason to continue hijacking this thread.
Because that is exactly what you're doing right now. ;)

I have 5 6s rigs. Never touched any diffs. I don’t know how to do it either but I have a bench. Oil. YouTube. Time to start. I’ve ran the dog doo out of my Talion. TLR Typhon. Fireteam. Felony and infraction. Never even looked. Holy crap I better get on it. I’ll be Paling a tutorial from someone lol

I have 5 6s rigs. Never touched any diffs. I don’t know how to do it either but I have a bench. Oil. YouTube. Time to start. I’ve ran the dog doo out of my Talion. TLR Typhon. Fireteam. Felony and infraction. Never even looked. Holy crap I better get on it.
Agreed on that, I service my stuff alot but if someone doesn't want to or need to more power to them. My neighbor has a Kraton 6s, noto, and talion, he never works on them cept maybe a broken wing mount or something like that. Just drives em.

Again you who quoted me haha. You said It didnt matter his level of knowledge. So you must know more about teaching then me. Again with the Lane comment. You think your lane is different then other peoples or something. Odd comment with a complex about it.

Look man, I asked the OP a question, not you, why did you quote me and say the opposites i said? Stay in your freakin lane and don't quote me if its a meaningless quote other then to ask for trouble.

Haha i tear up anyone on forums that says and does dumb crap like you, im not on the internet to be a star or make people like me lolol, is that your goal or something? odd you would say that. Let me break out the im better then you card. I have gotten many messages from users of this forums stating I like you you don't take crap from pushy people on this forum... Got the same messages on RCTalk after that whole you cant self-right a vehicle pointless debate.

Again all this has nothing to do with this thread, so stop being pointless. You quoted me, i responded. Get over it, and move the thread on.
I love baiting a troll.

Not maintaining an rc is never good advice.
If you want the most out of it and your investment you will learn and maintain.

Just because a minority of folks have got away with it, the majority has not.

Besides... working on them is just as fun as running them for most folks after they become comfortable with it..

Ps.... @SrC Does know his crap.... I've butt heads with him before but I respect his advice any day. Another OG that has been around the block.. Only advises on such as he knows to be a fact and not a guess or speculation.
I'm not sucking up to him, just calling it as I see it.

Not maintaining an rc is never good advice.
If you want the most out of it and your investment you will learn and maintain.

Just because a minority of folks have got away with it, the majority has not.

Besides... working on them is just as fun as running them for most folks after they become comfortable with it..

Ps.... @SrC Does know his crap.... I've butt heads with him before but I respect his advice any day. Another OG that has been around the block.. Only advises on such as he knows to be a fact and not a guess or speculation.
I'm not sucking up to him, just calling it as I see it.
I don't mind his knowledge, its seems good, its his approach i always question.

Shimming is important but greasing bearings is something you definitely don't have to do. Bearings are cheap AF and a consumable item, just buy a cheap pack and replace the bad ones as needed.

+1
Most here don't' race competitively, but any serious racer will always break-in his diffs. It's an RC thing. This is rather old advice. Not commonly heard. Many will say it's splitting hairs on this....

Well, since Arrma diffs are quite needy out the box, and not the most durable out there, from the get go, I go that extra mile. Which honestly costs me nothing. A good habit I've developed. I also can break-in my diffs while removed and on the bench. Another secret technique of mine. Sorry but that is proprietary, I won't divulge. If you dig deep into Arrma, you will find that re-shimming is actually done after a quick brief break-in. That is why shims are bagged on the side in the Box. Just that since QC can be way off, makes sense to check the diffs before use, making sure oil is topped off, the factory shimmingis close enugh, then re-shim again after a break-in. Most wont even bother to take either steps. It why we have many here with early diff failures scratching their heads. Asking why, me?.
Diff sat and sun gears will wear into each other, they are not machined precisely, The oil gets all dark from initial metal wear. So after a break-in, you want to change out all the oils and run some decent recommended oil CST's. 60k fr/500k cnt/20-30k Rr. Stock oils are generally too thin for hard bashing use anyway. Leading to Diffing out and a burnt up center diff in most cases.
Edited,
:cool:
+1. Good information here.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back