BashingBrian's X Maxx questions and experiences ( from a Traxxas noob )

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One day I will take you up on that offer.
:)Promise.
Maybe October or
late Sept.? IDK.
I'll bring stuff.

Is the Traxxas body system flawed? Of course, but they are tweaking it over the years to try and improve upon it. I like it a heck of a lot better than body pins, even if that means I occasionally have to go grab it and put it back on.

Just because body pins work, doesn’t mean there can’t be a better way, and when you’re trying to innovate, there is always improvements to be made.

Imagine if people had this attitude when automobiles first came around? “Why do we need cars?! The horse works perfect! Those stupid cars you have to fill up with fuel!”

Call me old school.
Improvements or not.
Just seems Nothing beats body posts and pins right now. To date.

Traxxas:

• New Body Mount System
    • Quick one-hand installation and removal :rolleyes:
    • Uses pivoting rear latch mechanismo_O
    • Eliminates body posts and clips :sneaky:
    • Reinforced for extra protection:ROFLMAO:

Call me old school.
Improvements or not.

Traxxas:

• New Body Mount System

You still slice your own bread?

Call me old school.
Improvements or not.

Traxxas:

• New Body Mount System
Definitely not perfect. It is one handed on/off, which can be nice. It is quick and really shines in low light conditions..installing pins at dusk is some excercise in patience I'll tell ya!!
The cage definitely helps make the body last longer, no denying that.
I'm sure I could devise a way to utilize posts and pins but, really not that offended by what's already there. I'm trying to get every bit of use I can out of mine. Bodies are just crazy expensive these days..Arrma, TRX, all of them. I had to cut off the bed on my X, was just flapping in the breeze. I originally used some 1/4 hdpe round stock to connect the cage underneath front to back. It ripped apart, now using 3/8 nylon 6/6 round stock. See how it goes🤷‍♂️
You still slice your own bread?
I'm dying here!!🤣🤣 Too funny! I love this place!!😎🍻

Just got new X Maxx today, first run will be tomorrow.. ;)

My questions for all the X Maxx owners out there...
Will be running totally stock for now, just using adapters for the batteries ( no way was I buying Traxxass batteries :ROFLMAO: )

Do I need to, is it best to vent the tyres ?
Is there anything I should do before first run ?

Mmmmm new RC smell .. :cool:

View attachment 319164
Congrats! I just got mine a few months back and I love it. I'd say use the stock tires as is until they blow up on you and then move to something else. They are not very durable in my experience and fail easily. And they aren't glued well from the factory so they come off the rim. I just got some Proline Mashers and I'm really digging them. They're lighter than most belted tires.

If you're used to Arrma stuff I don't think it seemed quick enough on stock gearing so I went straight to the high speed gears. They're Traxxas metal so they won't last long. I'd go ahead and order your hardened spur and pinion of choice to swap out when that happens.

Like you I wouldn't have chosen the Traxxas batteries and had heard terrible things about them but it was a gift from my wife who threw in a completer pack with Traxxas charger and batteries (I know, she's a keeper) and honestly they're not the greatest thing ever but they're fine. Certainly as good or better than the crap I typically buy on Amazon (like Zeee) because I'm a cheap bastard.

Also the stock servo is really weak. I went with a Perfect Pass but it's really important to do the servo saver mod where you tighten down the servo saver and have a nut on the other side. You can have a really strong servo in these but still not have good steering because the energy just goes into the servo saver which loosens up easily.

Enjoy!

P.S. Shoe goo/drywall your body! The bodies are pretty frail and they aren't cheap to replace.

Congrats! I just got mine a few months back and I love it. I'd say use the stock tires as is until they blow up on you and then move to something else. They are not very durable in my experience and fail easily. And they aren't glued well from the factory so they come off the rim. I just got some Proline Mashers and I'm really digging them. They're lighter than most belted tires.

If you're used to Arrma stuff I don't think it seemed quick enough on stock gearing so I went straight to the high speed gears. They're Traxxas metal so they won't last long. I'd go ahead and order your hardened spur and pinion of choice to swap out when that happens.

Like you I wouldn't have chosen the Traxxas batteries and had heard terrible things about them but it was a gift from my wife who threw in a completer pack with Traxxas charger and batteries (I know, she's a keeper) and honestly they're not the greatest thing ever but they're fine. Certainly as good or better than the crap I typically buy on Amazon (like Zeee) because I'm a cheap bastard.

Also the stock servo is really weak. I went with a Perfect Pass but it's really important to do the servo saver mod where you tighten down the servo saver and have a nut on the other side. You can have a really strong servo in these but still not have good steering because the energy just goes into the servo saver which loosens up easily.

Enjoy!

P.S. Shoe goo/drywall your body! The bodies are pretty frail and they aren't cheap to replace.
She sure is a keeper! Mine too, although I knew she was doing it so I spared us the TRX completer pack,LOL.
Think the thread might be back on track now..

Today I ordered 50T spur and 18T, 20T pinions made from actual real steel :ROFLMAO: also replacement rear arm and roof skid.

Been looking to see what rig I can steal a Max6 from, was even thinking about buying a MMX8s..!!
Don't want to buy a new Max6 yet because it's their last esc to be updated and I know the minute I splash the cash they'll go and release the new one 🤪

Just to clarify, to swap pinion/spur size and get the mesh correct you just put the two pins in the corresponding holes..??
So for 20/50, I would put the two pins in H and H and then reassemble :unsure:

Screenshot 2023-08-29 at 15.09.41.jpeg

Today I ordered 50T spur and 18T, 20T pinions made from actual real steel :ROFLMAO: also replacement rear arm and roof skid.

Been looking to see what rig I can steal a Max6 from, was even thinking about buying a MMX8s..!!
Don't want to buy a new Max6 yet because it's their last esc to be updated and I know the minute I splash the cash they'll go and release the new one 🤪

Just to clarify, to swap pinion/spur size and get the mesh correct you just put the two pins in the corresponding holes..??
So for 20/50, I would put the two pins in H and H and then reassemble :unsure:

View attachment 319700
If you're using Traxxas parts then yes the pins work fine but I'd be wary using them if you're using aftermarket stuff because the diameters may not be exactly the same. In that case just use the two sliding motor mount screws that go in through the bottom and set the mesh same as you would on any other rig.

Parts arrived so it's fixing time :cool:

IMG_8530.jpeg
IMG_8531.jpeg

Haven't had an issue with battery holders, but noticed that the XRT has clips holding them shut.
Thought I'd do a little mod to the locking system by adding body clips, and they're even color matched..;)

IMG_8533.jpeg

Did a very rough body re enforcing job, used some tough fiberglass mesh and contact adhesive, will post pics soon..

No bodies came off during the making of this video. I got my xmaxx used but it came with these 2 stretchy strap things on the body that you cross over the bottom and hook to the "nerf bar" things. It's an extra step but it works great and I hate body pins. XRT body system is even better and doesn't require anything extra imo.

No bodies came off during the making of this video. I got my xmaxx used but it came with these 2 stretchy strap things on the body that you cross over the bottom and hook to the "nerf bar" things. It's an extra step but it works great and I hate body pins. XRT body system is even better and doesn't require anything extra imo.
C'mon!! You know you edited out all that body ejecting footage!!😛

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back