BEC fundamentals pls

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Combo

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Mojave
  2. Senton 6s
I understand that it provides a higher voltage value than the ESC
Right?...
So, if i need 7.4V to my Servo and also 7.4V to my fans:
* Any BEC can supply 2 outputs?
* Where am i going from here? ?

Thanks guys..

Etai

Your ESC has a built in BEC. The BLX185 does not have an option for 7.4v, it is firmware blocked.

An aftermarket bec can supply more voltage and as importantly more amperage. Many high end servos require high amperage as well as 7.4v or sometimes more.

you can use the stock esc to power the fans, and use the external bec to supply the higher voltage and amperage to the servo.

Your ESC has a built in BEC. The BLX185 does not have an option for 7.4v, it is firmware blocked.

An aftermarket bec can supply more voltage and as importantly more amperage. Many high end servos require high amperage as well as 7.4v or sometimes more.

you can use the stock esc to power the fans, and use the external bec to supply the higher voltage and amperage to the servo.

Ok..
Mm.. i might need 12V for fans and 7.4V for servo..
So will i need two?..

https://www.amainhobbies.com/yeah-r...MIvO6V_KSa6QIVjIbACh3W4wTLEAQYASABEgKpBvD_BwE

Those are the fans I use and recommend. Many people here use them. And they run fine on the bec on the stock esc. As far as changing the fan on the esc, there really isn’t a reason to do that unless the stock one was damaged.

Well.. in Israel we have at summer up to 35deg. Cel. with 75% moist..
Ive read that the Motor and ESC don't like heat..?.... so gave them the best treatment.

But can one BEC supply to two consumers which have differant supply voltage?

But can one BEC supply to two consumers which have differant supply voltage?
No, typically they are single voltages. You can split the output to many devices as long as the current doesn't exceed the capability of the BEC. Use a simple y-splitter or DIY your cables. I run 3 fans, servo and receiver off my stock ESC i.e. this isn't a big deal if you can add current draw and do simple math.
Fan's run at 5-6V you can still run the fans off the ESC while you use a BEC for servo only.
Personally I'd get a 6V servo instead.

No, typically they are single voltages. You can split the output to many devices as long as the current doesn't exceed the capability of the BEC. Use a simple y-splitter or DIY your cables. I run 3 fans, servo and receiver off my stock ESC i.e. this isn't a big deal if you can add current draw and do simple math.
Fan's run at 5-6V you can still run the fans off the ESC while you use a BEC for servo only.
Personally I'd get a 6V servo instead.
I agree on the 6v servo. Yes I run 7.4 and external bec’s on my rigs but really it’s not needed.
As far as replacing the stock fan, it’s easy to do. Just remove the 4 screws holding the guard down and unplug it.

Yes exactly ☝️ they are best run off their own power supply. External bec are not recommended for a bashing jumping crashing rig. If it shorts it will blow out every electronics in your rig. All of them and if you are lucky it will not burst into flames... and you can't tuck them away as they get very hot.

Ok.. that is great information for me ?
So can u pls guide what should i do?

1) I have 2 NTF fans - Better to run on 2s battery right?
2) what about the servo?
Buy a better ESC which can control the volts outpus nor a BEC?
I gonna run that servo on my Mojave:

https://www.promodeler.com/DS630BLHV#

Thank you guys.. ?
You could use your receiver as a power splitter for your fans and the servo after installing a bec or use an extra splitter like this:

https://hobbyking.com/nl_nl/servo-splitter-lead-1-male-to-5-female-6cm.html?wrh_pdp=3

You do need a hv receiver offcourse.
The challenge is in the wiring. I've made an extra mounting place for the bec on top of the steering plate:

Been running this setup for years, no need for an extra 2s lipo to power the fans imo.

It's mostly going to come down to what Servo you are wanting to run your survival is going to be your biggest amp draw on the b e c

I gonna run that servo on my Mojave:

https://www.promodeler.com/DS630BLHV#

Thank you guys.. ?
Holy cow, that is one big servo. A wee bit of overkill to say the least but it's your choice.
Why would you pick such a high torque servo though for a Mojave? Stock is fine and even that is a bit overpowered to my understanding.
If you put on 3.8 Trenchers that would be a different story but tehy don't fit without major rework.
A lot faster and capable servos out there that don't require all these mods that make your rig more unreliable.

Holy cow, that is one big servo. A wee bit of overkill to say the least but it's your choice.
Why would you pick such a high torque servo though for a Mojave? Stock is fine and even that is a bit overpowered to my understanding.
If you put on 3.8 Trenchers that would be a different story but tehy don't fit without major rework.
A lot faster and capable servos out there that don't require all these mods that make your rig more unreliable.

They out if stock of the 470 model...
So i went on 630..
Same price is Savox- but much better product...
The stock servo is lame....?

No argument that the stock servo is not the best.

I personally use DS3225MG-25KG (ebay).
? $20 and I can buy 7 of these for that one above i.e. if it does break I don't call myself names because I landed on top of it. Well, I probably would but not over a servo....

Really depends on end use. The cheapo works well with Backflip, plenty of torque.
Other options from other vendors in the 25KG class (~350 oz-in). The one you picked is simply overkill.

I doubt it will physically fit due to size. It will generate heat but that is probably not an issue. Really depends on the type you want to use.You will add wires, it will look messy and will be prone to failure if you are bashing.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back