BECs were a mistake

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cancelthefuture

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Granite Grom
  3. Infraction
  4. Outcast EXB
  5. Senton 3s
  6. Typhon 3s
  7. Vendetta
Hey y'all,

Ever since I got a Reefs 99 for my FMS Smasher, I've been after the perfect steering. I used to wonder why people would drop all this money on servos. Then I tried the Reefs 99 and was like Oh yes, more of that please. I grabbed a Savox 2210 for the Outcast and wow what a difference. I broke the stock servo in 3 runs then went with the DS3235 Pro. But when I got the Savox I grabbed a Castle BEC Pro because I damn sure wasn't gonna spend 110 on a servo just to power it with a garbage 5A 7.4v BEC. Before I installed the Savox I installed the BEC and the DS3235 Pro was night and day difference. I was like well crap maybe I don't need this Savox after all, but a few runs in the Outcast had made the DS3235 Pro lose center.
The Savox was excellent, just what the doctor ordered. I set off to find cheaper brushless servos for all my Arrma 3s and landed on 9imod, which is pretty incredible for the price. I now have 6 of those, but they are no Savox.
Anyway, I added the 9imod to the Infraction after the ADS15m was laid to rest after a month of bashing. Unfortunately the 9imod isn't really great at finding perfect center, no big deal on the 3s off road cars but kind of important at 80+ mph. Additionally I was browning out with the 9imod, two rocket fans, and the handbrake servo running at the same time on the stock BEC. A glitch buster seemed to help with that thankfully. So I'm grabbing another Savox and a glitch buster ain't gonna cut it, but I didn't want to deal with BEC soldering again.
I have read many of Promodeler boomer man rants about BEC vs dedicated lipo and figured it was worth a shot. I have 6 or so SCX24 batteries so I grabbed a 450mah lipo and made a little converter cable from PH2.0 to receiver cable, added an extension cable from ESC to Receiver with positive wire yoinked out, and gave it a shot.
I've gotta say, the fans all woke up from their slumbers, the steering runs better, the AVC is more effective, I gotta be honest: BECs were a mistake.

Basically every ESC except the new generation of Hobbywing or racer spec ESCs come with inadequate BECs for today's servos. That's just the way it is. Lucky to get 7.4v, anything more than 5 amps is very rare. External BECs are all well and good, but it takes some doing, and it's one more thing to overheat in the car. The other day I literally melted the wire sheathing on my Castle BEC Pro in the Outcast 6s. I guess I need to add a fan there as well.

I also tested this on my Vendetta which overheats constantly. The stock electronics BEC was starting to fail as well with 3 rocket fans and the S652 since the S651 died in 5 days and I just had one on hand. Browning out caused my first crash with the Vendetta as well. Glitch buster helped there too, but I am throwing a 9imod in there soon and glitch buster ain't gonna cut it.

I tried the SCX24 battery in there too and wow, even the S652 runs better on 8.4v. The fans are all more effective at 8.4v of course. However I don't have a receiver voltage meter on my remote for the Vendetta so that was getting a bit close for comfort voltage wise. I grabbed a couple bigger batteries on the way, and honestly it's really not that bad to just charge a receiver pack using a garbage USB charger while I'm charging my car packs. The worst part is finding a suitable mounting spot for the receiver pack so I'm experimenting with a few different options there. The vendetta has a lot less space than the Infraction but I've been getting by.

Anyway, give it a shot. Direct power servos are annoying on 6s rigs, external BECs take up space and are just as much work to set up as a receiver pack cable. If you don't have a radio like G7P with a screen that tells you receiver power, just run a voltage alarm. I promise if you have an upgraded servo, or a bunch of fans, or more than one servo, or all the above, you'll be served better by eliminating the battery eliminator.

This is all assuming you don't have a nice ESC like the Max 8 G2 with 10 amps continuous on 8.4v. But hey, receiver pack is a whole lot cheaper than that. Give it a shot!

20230725_201456.jpg

The mmx8s is 8a and 8v, it's only the stock esc's that are horrible! the old hw esc can't do more than 7.4v either though but yea. I don't know if you know this but max 8 g2 is only like 40$ more than the servo you bought. Even cheaper if you use the code nerdthenewcool on hobbywing website. Probably more like 30$ at that point. Most people probably would have told you to upgrade the esc over the servo =D

The mmx8s is 8a and 8v, it's only the stock esc's that are horrible! the old hw esc can't do more than 7.4v either though but yea. I don't know if you know this but max 8 g2 is only like 40$ more than the servo you bought. Even cheaper if you use the code nerdthenewcool on hobbywing website. Probably more like 30$ at that point. Most people probably would have told you to upgrade the esc over the servo =D
Castle is somewhat misleading. MMX8s is 8a pEaK aMpS which means more like 4 or 5 continuous. Hobbywing Max 6 is 6 amps continuous and "25 peak". Replacing the servo was going to happen either way, I wouldn't have upgraded the ESC and then not gotten a better servo, the whole point of my rant is steer better :p. I didn't burn out the stock ESC or Motor in less than a month after all.

Oh wise one teach me your electronic ways. I learned a bunch from this post. Like I didn't know what a glitch buster was before.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back