Been wanting a crawler any suggestions...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haven't got mine out for a while because of other projects but yes they are. I have new parts waiting for it too.

View attachment 175404

Those tyres on your white sxc24 look soft as.
I had the foams pulled just to try them out. Ended up trimming the foams down and putting them back in. There was just too much squish. Going to get the wife’s deadbolt Komodo and lizard put in today. Then one more to do on my punkin JL. Love your driver! That’s how I look before I break something on my 1:1 🤣

Last edited:
@Warby ... Do you get "Gmade" over in Oz ??
http://www.gmade.net , some of their new stuff looks pretty cool, I've just ordered the Buffalo GS0F2 can't wait..!!😉
Looks good. Is there much aftermarket support?
I like the GS0F2 BOM kit and the R1.
They have lots of different models. Bit confusing actually.

Toughest most durable by far is the trx4, put mine through muddy hell and fallen off many a high rock. Hpi venture ture is my favourite trail truck, but by far the best climber is my sendero hd. *got a few mods though....

Crawler/trail trucks are awesome and highly addictive. I have 7

Also great for the entire family all my 4 kids started getting crawlers at the age of 4

TRX4
Any axial out there
Element

Kits are the way to go

I do like the look of the sendero hd but there's none in Aus.

Capra- my first 1/10. Super capable, but geared a bit high. With a mamba x & sensored slate it leaves most average trucks behind. Oddly, I don't like it as much as my trucks.
Gen8- scale af, decent climber, needs a little modification to keep up with the pack. I kinda miss it...
Trx-6- way fun out of the box, but you gotta go brushless. Ya gotta. Body hangs up on everything. Once you get rid of the body, fenders, and switch some weight around it turns into a total beast. Better tires and wheels are also a must.
Trx-4 kit- The best Bang for the buck. Period. Just doing the simple free mods I did to mine made a huge difference, and then adding brass portal covers and better wheels and tires turned it into a beast. I went full potato with motor and esc, but you don't have to. Keep it light, and get the weight balanced right and it'll leave the other brands in the dust.
Full gspeed lcg is next to be built. I'll let ya know...

I'm no rock crawler expert (my only experience is with my TRX-4 Sport kit and my neighbors TRX-6), but it seems like you should figure out where and what type of crawling that you will be doing before making a decision. Some seem better for trailing (faster, more scale looking), some better for running over rock gardens (high clearance, portal axles), some better at climbing or side hilling (LCG builds). My TRX-4 is a beast in my backyard rock garden course, but I think that I'd choose something completely different if I lived out West with huge rocks to climb.

Looks good. Is there much aftermarket support?
I like the GS0F2 BOM kit and the R1.
They have lots of different models. Bit confusing actually.
To be honest over here in the UK the backup and support are no better or worse then say Arrma..!!
I like to be different 😉 that's why I chose one..!! also I'm no crawler expert so I probably wouldn't know if it was good or not 🤣🤣

Crawler/trail trucks are awesome and highly addictive. I have 7

Also great for the entire family all my 4 kids started getting crawlers at the age of 4

TRX4
Any axial out there
Element

Kits are the way to go
I agree, any Crawler can be tweaked to do anything. They are all pretty good for the most part if setup properly. Money is all it takes. As long as they are not too top heavy, they go everywhere.

Anyone see the new Vanquish VS4-10 Phoenix? It’s a lot cheaper than their other rigs but has plastic axle housings, dig and trans with selectable overdrive from 6 or 30%. It’s still expensive (not quite crazy loot...) but might be worth it.

Last edited:
Can the gearing be changed? Smaller pinion maybe?
You can absolutely mess with pinion size. I also put overdrive gears in the front. The transmission is still geared a little tall for technical climbing, though. All my driving with it is in the first 30% of my throttle pull. It's just a little twitchy when you're trying to give it a bump to get past a trouble spot of an obstacle.

Just finished building a capra kit, just waiting on most of the electronics to show up. Is a sweet kit! Instruction had some quirks, but nothing crazy.
90A05E6C-CFF0-47F8-A10C-8E1D2B9E9016.jpeg
9FB4BB01-4AF1-4597-A465-B1806C519201.jpeg
7FAC66A1-DB4C-42EF-BF74-3A1E53B8955C.jpeg
ABE0E598-BD03-45DD-9C68-B9EED9DB1ED1.jpeg

Just finished building a capra kit, just waiting on most of the electronics to show up. Is a sweet kit! Instruction had some quirks, but nothing crazy. View attachment 175568View attachment 175569View attachment 175570View attachment 175571
Nice paint. Yer have heard the instructions have a couple of mistakes or lacking.

What motors you guys running? What turn?

I was thinking of getting Hobbywing 1080 esc.
You can absolutely mess with pinion size. I also put overdrive gears in the front. The transmission is still geared a little tall for technical climbing, though. All my driving with it is in the first 30% of my throttle pull. It's just a little twitchy when you're trying to give it a bump to get past a trouble spot of an obstacle.
I've seen overdrive options for the front diff and portal gears. Is there a overdrive option for the trans gears? Which is best? Sorry for all the questions.

Last edited:
I have a few
Vanquish vs410 pro
Vanquish vs410 ultra
Axial scx10 III jeep

I love building them. But for me super boring to drive.
this is my vanquish 410 ultra build with portals.
the quality of the vanquish stuff is top notch. View attachment 165533View attachment 165534
What color blue is that?! My daughter loves it and wants to paint the granite that color when I get a new body.

Nice paint. Yer have heard the instructions have a couple of mistakes or lacking.

What motors you guys running? What turn?

I was thinking of getting Hobbywing 1080 esc.

I've seen overdrive options for the front diff and portal gears. Is there a overdrive option for the trans gears? Which is best? Sorry for all the questions.
I've been told you can't really do much with the capra tranny (haven't messed with mine). I went with this wild set ( https://supershafty.com/products/tghcapraportalaxleoverdrivegearset?variant=31215361785950 ) and there's no doubt they improved performance.
As far as motor/esc, I'm a big brushless snob. If I were going brushed, it would 100% be a hw 1080 and a holmes motor ( https://holmeshobbies.com/motor-recommendations ) scroll down to see capra recommendations.

I've been told you can't really do much with the capra tranny (haven't messed with mine). I went with this wild set ( https://supershafty.com/products/tghcapraportalaxleoverdrivegearset?variant=31215361785950 ) and there's no doubt they improved performance.
As far as motor/esc, I'm a big brushless snob. If I were going brushed, it would 100% be a hw 1080 and a holmes motor ( https://holmeshobbies.com/motor-recommendations ) scroll down to see capra recommendations.
Awesome thanks

@Warby, thanks! My first paint job, i think it turned out pretty good!

Ill be running a hobbywing axe r2 combo in 2100kv when it comes in the mail. Some clearancing to rear link mount is required to run this setup.
Options ive found for gearing are limited to pinion gear, 11t minimum in stock trans. And vanquish and boom racing make underdrive gears for diffs. Thats why i went with the 2100kv setup instead of something in the 2800-3000 range.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back