Built a Trx4 Sport kit for my first crawler, any tips/suggestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sumguy75

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
  2. Talion
  3. Typhon 6s
Bought a Trx4 Sport kit a few weeks ago pretending I didn't already have more rc projects than I can keep up with, lol. Finally got to it this week. Really good build, should have been easier but I like to do a lot of things wrong before I do them right.šŸ¤£
Took it out for a quick crawl before the heavy rain came in. Powerful little beast with a Hobbywing Quicrun Fusion SE motor/esc on 3s and a Powerhobby servo with lots of torque and speed. Seems like it will be pretty capable with some adjustments and learning, but I did notice it seemed VERY top heavy. Also not sure how good the tires are. They seemed grippy on rocks, but get some loose dirt mixed in and they don't have much bite.
I'm assuming the accessory rack isn't helping with the top heavy feel. Should be able to lower the body at least 2 notches, maybe 3.
My plan is to make it a trail truck. The trails I'll be on have steep hills and are loaded with roots and large rocks so it needs to have keep some good crawling capabilities.
Tips on getting the weight balanced and good tire options? I kind of have a thing for tires the way some women have a thing for shoes.šŸ˜… If I like crawling enough I'll end up with at least 3-4 different sets of tires for multiple options.

20230324_190747.jpg

222C5A0F-078C-4318-8DC6-844D8313BC3A.jpeg
80605A10-8567-4553-8316-314813DD59D2.jpeg

So l took my stock TRX4 kit and ended up turning it into one of my first class 2 comp rigs. Them things have potential

For starters it will make a great trail truck for you and they are a great truck

1. I know I know it looks cool but ditch the cargo rack the worst place for weight on a crawler is top / rear

2. the tires are good on heavier rigs after they are broken in but cut them like this
image.jpg

It opens up the center of the tread pattern

3. bow house make a low c-g battery mount that helpā€™s out

4. I had good luck with some cheap (off Amazon ) outer portal cover brass weights

5. Ditch the oversized stock bumpers get some smaller ones . push them in as far as you can then drop the body down as far as you can. You may have to trim the body some in these areas but getting the body low and having better accent and decent angles will make a big difference

5. I always run crawler innovation foams i also am a fan of Pitbull tires. This truck has no issues running a 4.75 tire

The list goes on and on but for a trail truck this is a good start

Took it out today and realized quickly I'm going to like crawling more than the trail. I got bored on the trail and took it to a rock retaining wall and had a blast.

Yes I'll probably spend a few hundred on it over the next few months, just like every Traxxas and Arrma rig I've owned. šŸ¤£

Lowered the body all the way, will remove the rack and get smaller bumpers next. Pretty impressed with it so far, can't wait to see what it can do as I learn more. Definitely love the crawling more after giving both a try today.

20230325_144852.jpg

Screenshot_20230325_162323_Gallery.jpg

Here's a 2 minute video of the 1st time out. I'm a noob at crawling so I don't know much yet, but certainly seems very capable as is. Mine is a kit so I have the Hobbywing Fusion motor/esc and a Hobbystar servo. Running 3s just because thats what I had for batteries, but I think it would have plenty of power on 2s, I have the throttle trim at 75 percent on 3s and still baby it.

Last edited:
Rack removed and both bumpers as close as they can go. Had to trim the tailgate area but it works great, heading back out for another round.

20230326_153639.jpg

20230326_153621.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back