Kraton Best Center Diff Weight OIL? Kraton

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I run 500k in a v3 Talion and 800k in the Outcast.

The mixture to get 800k is 70% 1M 30% 500k and I only went up because I added an additional pound and a half of weight to the Outcast which caused an increase in center diff slip.

Since silicone manufacturers have a big gap between viscositys from 500k to 1M, you can mix up anything in between by using this calculator to get the ratios and final cst count to where you want them.

https://www.widman.biz/English/Calculators/Mixtures.html

View attachment 37854
Wow, I didn't even take weight into consideration with the diffs. it just slipped my mind. I put so much aluminum on that thing, not as much as some, but enough. Good thing I didn't order oil yet. That calculator is going to be a big help.

From what I've seen playing around with different center diff viscosity, once you increase cst above around 250k-350k and thicker on the Arrma 6s line, there's a tradeoff in increased wear on the pins in dogbone (especially the rear drive shaft) along with increased load and wear on crown gears and pinions in the front and rear differentials. An often overlooked variable when selecting viscosity is vehicle weight and the available traction that it's tires provide. Comparing a 25lb xmax and how it's center diff slips vs a 12lb Arrma using the same silicone viscosity are quite different in the amount of slip inside diff and the way they distribute power front to rear using the same cst ratings. As vehicle weight and traction increase, so does the amount of slip within the differential.

From what I've seen playing around with different center diff viscosity, once you increase cst above around 250k-350k and thicker on the Arrma 6s line, there's a tradeoff in increased wear on the pins in dogbone (especially the rear drive shaft) along with increased load and wear on crown gears and pinions in the front and rear differentials. An often overlooked variable when selecting viscosity is vehicle weight and the available traction that it's tires provide. Comparing a 25lb xmax and how it's center diff slips vs a 12lb Arrma using the same silicone viscosity are quite different in the amount of slip inside diff and the way they distribute power front to rear using the same cst ratings. As vehicle weight and traction increase, so does the amount of slip within the differential.
I've run 500k in my center since I got my outcast in July. I ran 4S in it until the past month or two. Thanks for reminding me about the dog bone. My rear center one is pretty worn.

I don't have a noto yet but I'm gonna build one to see what all the fuss is about lol ..I know it's hard to control so it may be fun to try something challenging to drive .... either build it or buy a roller havnt made my mind up yet ...I seen one for 300 used complete with extra parts may just buy that one has extra parts also and 2 3s batteries
I just got a 2019 Noto and don't understand why folks think it's difficult. I'm a novice driver especially with 1/8 and 6S. Just don't punch it every time and it's a hoot. I drove it 12' up an oak tree while trying to learn how to to back flip off the trunk. Finally got the back flip mastered, but it was really cool watching it run up the tree that high. Also pulled a wheelie for about 60yards down the street, my son got that on video... standing backflips!! As I'm having diff and upgrade issues with Kraton the Noto is moving into 1st place for favorite Arrma model.

That's really expensive :unsure:

I got my oils from AsiaTees. Sure, you have to be more patient for shipping but they have great prices.

The same Mugen oil is half the price there:
https://www.asiatees.com/display?Mu...&brand=Mugen Seiki&model=MGT7&id=107354&pid=1

I got the cheap Boom Racing oil and I think it's just as good. The 200k is out of stock though but you could get the following two to mix:

https://www.asiatees.com/display?Bo...brand=Miscellaneous&model=All&id=120621&pid=1
https://www.asiatees.com/display?Xc...brand=Miscellaneous&model=All&id=109017&pid=1

100k in mine. It's so much better than stock for me. I didn't want to wheelie every time I goose the throttle so I choose 100k. The higher you go, more wheelie action because most of the power is going to the rear with really heavy weight oils.

Using naptha, it's not to bad. Get a little container and a brush, old tooth brush works. Take the diff completely apart, including the o-rings and bearings, and drop them in the naptha. Then use a toothbrush to scrub. The naptha breaks the silicone oil and grease down. Then blow the parts off with compressed air and reassemble. I kept the o-rings out of the naptha and just wiped them off on a paper towel. I don't know if naptha will damage them, but didn't want to risk it.

If using 200k+ to fill the cup, it takes a while for it to settle. I used 500k, so I put a blob in the cup after putting the sun gear in, then put the spiders/x bars in, another small blob, then laid the second sun gear on top of the blob, then let it sit overnight to settle. Then put the ring gear on.

You just want enough oil to reach the top of the x-pins. Anymore and it will just squirt out when you tighten the ring gear screws down.

Thanks, I almost wonder if just buying a second center diff with different weight would be worth the time savings. Then I would have a spare in the waiting.
If you have the V4 center diff cradle or M2C, it's a no brainer if you think your going to want to change it periodically. A lot easier to swap out a center diff with those mounts.

I do have a v4. I would probably pay $75 for one put together with oil of choice delivered.
Or you can buy new center diff assemblies for $23 a piece and drain and put your own oil in them.....You could have 3 extra diffs for the $75 you were going to pay.

https://jennysrc.com/collections/ar...fferential-diff-50t-spur-gear-talion-ar106040
https://jennysrc.com/collections/ar...fferential-diff-50t-spur-gear-typhon-ar106021
https://jennysrc.com/collections/ar...fferential-diff-50t-spur-gear-kraton-ar106044

I loaded a centre diff last night with 500k for the first time and the stuff is like paste. I can’t imagine how thick 1m is. The 500k is significantly tighter when turning the diff compared to stock

I've just done mine with 500k, and I thought it was never going to come out the bottle...????

As I am not completely familiar with all the parts needed for the change, simply, if you could pop one out and put another in with no messing around with diff oil, yeah, it seems reasonable...what is the cost of all of those parts new?

As I am not completely familiar with all the parts needed for the change, simply, if you could pop one out and put another in with no messing around with diff oil, yeah, it seems reasonable...what is the cost of all of those parts new?
Check Jenny's rc that I linked to you above. They have all stock parts for the Arrma vehicles. If what you are looking for isn't in stock at the moment, keep checking as their stock changes daily.

I looked at that, and $24 seems like just the differential correct? You would then another gearbox case to leave it in with the different weight of diff oil?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back