Best kv for Kraton 8s?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

antdynamic21

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Limitless
Greetings all,

I have been in love with my Kraton 8s since the beginning. I have changed to the Max5 esc and I would like to change the motor. I have been searching and it seems that some people are going with 800kv and others are going with 1100kv or more. What are the benefits to one or the other?

I went with the 1120kv so I didn’t have to change my motor mount to a longer one, just the slide. If you are going to run the m2c mount then maybe go with the higher kv. To get the speed we all want out of a 700kv motor you will need a very large pinion. With an 1100kv you can get away with a 25-29t pinion depending on what temps you are getting.

Note that most 56mm can motors have a 30mm bolt circle which will not fit the Arrma mount so you will need a different slide or buy another whole mount. Hobbystar makes a 5692 1120kv for around $120 and a 56112 580kv for $130. The hobbywing has similar options as well as leopard, tp and others...

What is the ideal gearing for the 56113 HobbyWing 800kv motor? Just got one and don't know what size gears to get for good speed.

What is the ideal gearing for the 56113 HobbyWing 800kv motor? Just got one and don't know what size gears to get for good speed.
I'm still trying to figure that out. I tried a 34t pinion and it wasn't fast enough for me. I had to buy a different aftermarket motor mount so I could go bigger. I'm going to try a 44t.

20200114_184114.jpg
20200114_184802.jpg

That pinion is huge! Let me know how it works out. I'll go that route if you have good results. Where did you get that 44t?

I have a Leopard 58113 1050kv and a 34T pinion. I didn't GPS it yet, but I'd ballpark about 60mph. It's a missile. It drives like a 8th scale Kraton, albeit heavier. I should have some GPS numbers in the next week or so (if it ever stops raining).

Ask gavsta72, he has alot of good suggestions for many of the 1/6th-1/5th scale stuff and has loads of experience. I followed his advice on the above combo and it's been great. I'm not worried about the summertime either, since my temps are about 70d (21c) ESC and 121d (49c) motor after a 10 min run in 45d (7c) weather.

I have experience with the larger 1/5th Losi stuff (I own several) but this rig has a different feel to the drivetrain. I want to say there is less "stickshin" and everything just seems to transmit power though the entire geartrain better with this platform.

I'm still trying to figure that out. I tried a 34t pinion and it wasn't fast enough for me. I had to buy a different aftermarket motor mount so I could go bigger. I'm going to try a 44t.

View attachment 60993View attachment 60994
What motor mount is that?

If anyone here wants to sell their stock Kraton 8s motor I am looking for one for my Limitless.

Last edited:
Greetings all,

I have been in love with my Kraton 8s since the beginning. I have changed to the Max5 esc and I would like to change the motor. I have been searching and it seems that some people are going with 800kv and others are going with 1100kv or more. What are the benefits to one or the other?

The key 3 factors to focus on:

1. Weight of the motor
2. Motor KV = rpms per volt. You can almost think of it as part of the gearing. If you go a higher KV rating you wouldn't need as large of a pinion gear.
3. bolt pattern and shaft size (some brands use odd sizes)

Plug in the values into an RC speed calculator and you can see how moving from 800 kv to 1200 kv can increase the speed drastically on the same voltage.

I have a Leopard 58113 1050kv and a 34T pinion. I didn't GPS it yet, but I'd ballpark about 60mph. It's a missile. It drives like a 8th scale Kraton, albeit heavier. I should have some GPS numbers in the next week or so (if it ever stops raining).

Ask gavsta72, he has alot of good suggestions for many of the 1/6th-1/5th scale stuff and has loads of experience. I followed his advice on the above combo and it's been great. I'm not worried about the summertime either, since my temps are about 70d (21c) ESC and 121d (49c) motor after a 10 min run in 45d (7c) weather.

I have experience with the larger 1/5th Losi stuff (I own several) but this rig has a different feel to the drivetrain. I want to say there is less "stickshin" and everything just seems to transmit power though the entire geartrain better with this platform.

which motor mount are you using with that motor? I was looking to get the same one. I just bought the M2C motor mount but that says it fits 56 cans and not 58.

Thanks for the recommendation lol

Deffo the Leo 1050kv or the Hobbystar 56112 980kv, both will guarantee cool temps in the Summer months. You see i had the Hobbywing 1100kv and the motor got to 95c on a 26c day with a 25t pinion. Installed the Hobbystar 980kv with a 34t pinion, and the motor only got to 75c on a 33c day....with no fan. I could gear higher and add a fan, but i have the m2c mount so 34t max. Not that it matters, 57mph is nice and fast

I think the K8S just crosses that thin line of being too heavy for the smaller 87/92 long motors, and needs a 112/113 long can if you want good speeds and cool temps in the Summer months

u saying a 34 fit the factory mount? if not, what's the max pinion for the stock mount? does the 800kv even fit it?

Max on the stock mount is 25t. Max on the M2C mount is around 34t.
What motor mount is that?

If anyone here wants to sell their stock Kraton 8s motor I am looking for one for my Limitless.
That's the Fastline mount.

What esc? Want to run that motor but its max amp pull is 210a, higher than the 200a max5 I use.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back