Best motor cooling solution for a 1650kv 4985 Motor and Max6.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatCatRC

FatCat Team Racing
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Notorious
So we all have seen tonz of threads with the same question, "what fan for my 1650 4985 motor and the max6". Woodie and I have discussed and decided we should take a poll and find out what the best and most common cooling solution to the 1650 motor. So the way this works is post what you use for your setup only if it hasn't been posted on this thread yet, if you see that someone has the same setup as you and has already posted on this thread click the up vote next to that persons post. After a week or so to give people time to respond we will see what solution has the most votes and post a sticky for new guys to not only see the top recommended solution but this thread and the other solutions people have used. This is to try to eliminate or at least slow down the frequency of the new threads being created on this topic. Seems like every other day or so this question is asked.
I use a heatsink I bought from NTF fans on facebook, I have been told it's the heatsink for a traxass xmaxx. I use two 40mm fans running at 9v spinning at 25000rpm (so it says). I run them off my reciever using a step up converter to go from the 7.4v or whatever it is from the esc to the 9v for the fans. The max6 has a mount I bought from NTF to go from the stock size fan to 40mm fan so I used the same 40mm fan on my esc and just plugged it in the fan port it gets 7.4v and it still blows a lot of air.

Last edited:
For Max6, this is a bolt on fan that doesn't need mounting adapters and will do it's job, never had mine overheat with this in place:
It's a 36mm fan that fits inside the 35mm bolt pattern, no tweaks needed.

Local
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/sanyo-denki-america-inc/9GV3612P3G03/6192413

China:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32864840080.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.4df24c4dcjztT8

Order local for one and order some spares from China. Hard impacts will eventually break any fan.

--
Ultimate durability but 40mm, alu frame and will be indestructible unless you land upside down (like any of the high speed fans).
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/sanyo-denki-america-inc/9HV0412P3K001/6192417

China is surprisingly more expensive on this version by 3x. Maybe they already know something that we don't.

This setup has worked fantastic for me and is only about $30 depending on the fans. Mount is Powerhobby 1/8 47-49mm mount. Fans are (2) 30mm NHX that I had from a 42mm heatsink/fan combo. I had to drill the thru holes in the fans out about 1mm each just to spread them apart a tiny bit on the mount so they would sit flat and not bind against eachother. Mount has holes spaced for 40mm fans too but these are more than enough. Fans are set about 1/4" off the fins at the closest point. An added bonus, they sound like little jet enginesView attachment 143380View attachment 143381! I have bashed pretty hard 4 times since installing and no issues yet. Warmest my motor got was 124f with a 6000mah graphene and about 50% of the time in the grass. And please pardon my wires, braid sleeve is ordered! haha
Forgot about the ESC. So far I have the stock fan installed and temps have been borderline however, once summer hits I think I am going to have a problem. I have a Powerhobby 40mm replacement coming so hopefully that will cover me in the future. I will be watching this thread for other ideas for the ESC though for sure.

View attachment 143380

View attachment 143381
Thank you for posting your motor fan setup. This is precisely what I want.

I have had a heck of a time trying to find a solution that didn't involve a lot of customization or bending a 40mm sink to fit on the 1650 can.

Just got this mount and dual fan from powerhobby. Comes with a 3s switch for lipo but I tried running from receiver and its just as strong. Mount is strong, was able to lift my kraton up just holding the fans.

F2F8FFAE-A6AB-4AD5-9D09-FB171C182DD3.jpeg

Just got this mount and dual fan from powerhobby. Comes with a 3s switch for lipo but I tried running from receiver and its just as strong. Mount is strong, was able to lift my kraton up just holding the fans.

View attachment 144964
I was looking at this identical setup. Does it plug right into the receiver or did you have to modify it?

I was looking at this identical setup. Does it plug right into the receiver or did you have to modify it?
Plugs right into an open slot in receiver, no modifications needed. Just make sure you get right size mount powerhobby that fits your motor.

I just got this one…. Ordered it on November 2cd. Got here yesterday…. Not bad coming from Chyyyyyna…. Haven’t seen anyone running one of these mounts. Just did a test fit. Looks to be good for the Mojave EXB I just got. Gonna put a pair of game changer low profile 40mm fans in it and blast offffffffff!

Edit: just read in this thread that aluminum fans might not work side by side since they won’t in some other mounts….. what to do what to do…. Order the aluminum fans are just run 40mm plastic fans since it has the brace on the top side?!? Hmmmm

02F2FA5C-ED1B-4032-A5F5-970C1464A4DA.jpeg

B763A49E-6BDE-4C7C-BB3F-8DA9B1BB060D.jpeg

Last edited:
I just got this one…. Ordered it on November 2cd. Got here yesterday…. Not bad coming from Chyyyyyna…. Haven’t seen anyone running one of these mounts. Just did a test fit. Looks to be good for the Mojave EXB I just got. Gonna put a pair of game changer low profile 40mm fans in it and blast offffffffff!

Edit: just read in this thread that aluminum fans might not work side by side since they won’t in some other mounts….. what to do what to do…. Order the aluminum fans are just run 40mm plastic fans since it has the brace on the top side?!? Hmmmm

View attachment 179552

View attachment 179553
That's a cool looking one. First time I saw one with the brace across the top, that is a nice touch. You have a link to that one by chance?

That's a cool looking one. First time I saw one with the brace across the top, that is a nice touch. You have a link to that one by chance?
I actually put “40mm rc fan” in search bar and that’s how I found it I believe….
I do not know how to do a link from eBay to here…. But here is a picture of it on eBay with the description. Hope that helps.
51E989D1-6AB5-4757-A0FF-71B149C03BE8.png

View attachment 144964
Great info! Link and advice for that esc fan as well? Also while we're at it where did you get the motor fans?

Back