Best motor cooling solution for a 1650kv 4985 Motor and Max6.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatCatRC

FatCat Team Racing
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Notorious
So we all have seen tonz of threads with the same question, "what fan for my 1650 4985 motor and the max6". Woodie and I have discussed and decided we should take a poll and find out what the best and most common cooling solution to the 1650 motor. So the way this works is post what you use for your setup only if it hasn't been posted on this thread yet, if you see that someone has the same setup as you and has already posted on this thread click the up vote next to that persons post. After a week or so to give people time to respond we will see what solution has the most votes and post a sticky for new guys to not only see the top recommended solution but this thread and the other solutions people have used. This is to try to eliminate or at least slow down the frequency of the new threads being created on this topic. Seems like every other day or so this question is asked.
I use a heatsink I bought from NTF fans on facebook, I have been told it's the heatsink for a traxass xmaxx. I use two 40mm fans running at 9v spinning at 25000rpm (so it says). I run them off my reciever using a step up converter to go from the 7.4v or whatever it is from the esc to the 9v for the fans. The max6 has a mount I bought from NTF to go from the stock size fan to 40mm fan so I used the same 40mm fan on my esc and just plugged it in the fan port it gets 7.4v and it still blows a lot of air.

Last edited:
This setup has worked fantastic for me and is only about $30 depending on the fans. Mount is Powerhobby 1/8 47-49mm mount. Fans are (2) 30mm NHX that I had from a 42mm heatsink/fan combo. I had to drill the thru holes in the fans out about 1mm each just to spread them apart a tiny bit on the mount so they would sit flat and not bind against eachother. Mount has holes spaced for 40mm fans too but these are more than enough. Fans are set about 1/4" off the fins at the closest point. An added bonus, they sound like little jet engines
20210501_201243[1].jpg
20210501_201312[1].jpg
! I have bashed pretty hard 4 times since installing and no issues yet. Warmest my motor got was 124f with a 6000mah graphene and about 50% of the time in the grass. And please pardon my wires, braid sleeve is ordered! haha
Forgot about the ESC. So far I have the stock fan installed and temps have been borderline however, once summer hits I think I am going to have a problem. I have a Powerhobby 40mm replacement coming so hopefully that will cover me in the future. I will be watching this thread for other ideas for the ESC though for sure.

20210501_201243[1].jpg

20210501_201312[1].jpg

Come on guys lets get this going. I wanna see some responses here. I know you've all answered this a million times but with this thread and a possible sticky we might eliminate most new threads on this topic. So calling all guys with 4985 motors.....

Custom made fan bracket with 2 Trackstar 30mm aluminum fans.

20200226_191152.jpg

Come on guys lets get this going. I wanna see some responses here. I know you've all answered this a million times but with this thread and a possible sticky we might eliminate most new threads on this topic. So calling all guys with 4985 motors.....
Making a sticking won't eliminate people asking about this, look at how many threads there are about upgrade shocks for the 3s models.

My home made bracket and two Hobbystar fans. Running this for a couple years now.

E2D4CCDB-3FD7-4A3C-837F-D45A78DCB0B1.jpeg

049020F3-D62C-4DD1-B45C-78E4FBFE3061.jpeg

It’s the 6s version. They were on eBay a while back for around 95$ and I grabbed one. It’s been fine, only problem is the fans break easy.
All of the HEXFLY escs other than the HEX8 seems to have disappeared.

I can confirm I am running the Traxxas Xmax heatsink with some rando 40mm fan from Amazon. Works like a charm and the heatsink fits perfectly.

Back