Big Rock Big Rock Crew Cab

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ideally the gears case should be completely closed, but I understand why they had to make the spur stick out like that, without it the spur would need to be few mm higher, and along with it the driveshaft and diffs, all rotating mass that should be as low as possible.
But they could keep it in the same place and have the case wrap it, and do a hole in the chassis where it slides into place, so from below you would see the gear casing being flush with the chassis.
<armchair designer rant off>

That's going to be the first thing i will do, make a slot in the chassis underneath the spur gear and install the adjustable motor mount when it's available from Arrma or HR. A lot of sand combined with the very tight gear mesh will cause issues.

I didn't slot mine but drilled a hole beneath the spur, the width of the spur. Seems to have helped it hold up longer so far. I'm on my third spur and drilled the hole the last time I replaced it.

I am pretty new to the RC car game. Lots of experience in RC just not with cars/trucks. I bought a Big Rock Crew for my daughter for Christmas. Can you use the 3.8 wheels tires on this 1/10 scale truck or do you need to change gearing and bunch of stuff to run bigger tires.

3.8 is big for 1/8, let alone 1/10. It won’t work due to multiple reasons.

1. It’s already on the lowest gear possible. The motor mount have only 3 possible gearing position. And it currently using the lowest one. There is a sliding motor mount planned which will possibly allow lower gearing, but it’s not out yet.
2. The drivetrain cannot support such a big wheel. For this size the gearing of the diffs need to be lower, and the plastic driveshaft wouldn’t support this kind of torque I believe.
3. The Servo will need to be replaced for sure
4. It’s will just be silly big :)

3.8 is big for 1/8, let alone 1/10. It won’t work due to multiple reasons.

1. It’s already on the lowest gear possible. The motor mount have only 3 possible gearing position. And it currently using the lowest one. There is a sliding motor mount planned which will possibly allow lower gearing, but it’s not out yet.
2. The drivetrain cannot support such a big wheel. For this size the gearing of the diffs need to be lower, and the plastic driveshaft wouldn’t support this kind of torque I believe.
3. The Servo will need to be replaced for sure
4. It’s will just be silly big :)

Thanks for the info. I was really only wondering because I noticed in the specs the Big Rock Nero isn't much longer maybe a little wider than the crew. We will probably leave it stock for awhile.

It's 50mm longer, which is quite alot, and 120mm wider.
Closer comparison would be the outcast/notorious, with the same wheelbase, but at 460mm, it's 140mm wider than your car, and even it looks half silly.

there's one more aspect which is weight, the 1/8 cars weigh more than twice than yours, and so the wheel foam were designed for this weight, on such a light car as yours it wont handle the bumps well

Thanks everyone I will stick with the stock wheels and tires for now.

Please tell me, for a ride in the snow, is it necessary to somehow seal the model. Or enough stock protection.

Please tell me, for a ride in the snow, is it necessary to somehow seal the model. Or enough stock protection.

I've taken mine out in the snow with no added protection. When finished, knock all the snow out from under the body. I usually take a heat gun or hair dryer and dry it out too.

I don't have heat gun, but on russian oven will dry quickly =)
Russian night so long... I think how to put the lights to scare bears on the street, but do not make holes in the case.
How does it look?

WP_20181204_15_55_20_Rich.jpg
WP_20181204_15_56_50_Rich.jpg

Just discovered tears in two of the Mega Granite tires I had on my BRCC. Instead of going back to the stock BRCC tires, I put some Proline Trenchers on. Looks good!

20181204_152414.jpg
20181204_152355.jpg

And the next upgrade will be a HR steel spur. That, the adjustable motor mount and a slot or hole beneath the spur should fix this issue.
Did you ever get the steel spur? If so how is it working for you? I was told putting in a steel spur would cause more problems than it fixes but I can't replace the stock spur after 3 lipos every time. Let me know, thanks!

Yes i understand and have seen that. But i am not going to do that after every lipo. The next one will get a hole in the chassis beneath the spur.
U do that and you'll really see all kinds of crap in ur spur. I just put a piece of electrical tape to seal off under driveshaft. Works for me. Just a thought. U drill a hole and all the dirt and crap will get sucked in.

U do that and you'll really see all kinds of crap in ur spur. I just put a piece of electrical tape to seal off under driveshaft. Works for me. Just a thought. U drill a hole and all the dirt and crap will get sucked in.
I've had a hole in both of mine since july, and I haven't had any problems. In fact, my problems went away once I drilled it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back