Big rock shocks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caleb90

Reaction score
Hey guys new hear and new to rc's and arrma. I know this question gets asked alot and after alot of research i still don't know what to get. I just got my big rock and i have not even run it yet. But i am less than impressed with the oem shocks, not to mention they feel like they have zero oil in them. I don't want to spend a fortune on new shocks but i don't want chinese garbage either. What is the best bang for the buck?
And yes i read the entire sticky up top

I am in the same boat with my big rock. I am looking at the Integy piggy back shocks around 90.00 a set

If wanting to save money do as Rob66 said and get the 6s arrma shocks. I got the pro-line but they definitely are not cheap. Then you will need to try different weight oil for the shocks for your driving style. I run 60 in front and 50 in the rear and have liked that in my pro-line that are on my Big Rock.

Stopped at my shop to get shock oil, ended up getting hot racing shock bodies as i had 10bucks in reward points.. so i am tryin those with some 40wt oil

I just got my big rock and i have not even run it yet. But i am less than impressed with the oem shocks
If you haven't even run it yet, what is your basis of not liking them? You're looking to spend money without knowing what changes you'd like to see. The stock shocks perform very well. The problem is not performance, but durability. The shock shafts can snap or pull out with hard impact. But you haven't run them, so you don't know if this will be a problem. If you're not breaking shafts, there's little reason to upgrade. Most of the inexpensive alternatives will be downgrades.

The Hot Racing shock bodies re-use the stock shafts and other components. They are not an upgrade. The only thing you get is threaded adjustability. No increased performance or durability. (EDIT: You bought them already, I would return them)

The ZD Racing shocks have 3mm thick shafts just like stock. Plus, they are 10mm to 17mm longer than stock. This will significantly raise your center of gravity, tilt the car forward, and decrease handling performance.

The Proline Racing shocks are the right length, have wider 14mm shock bodies, and the shafts are thicker at 3.5mm. But they are expensive as hell. You can get 1/8 scale, Arrma 6s shocks for less from Jenny's. They are16mm bore with 4mm thick shock shafts.

Rob66 recommended Typhon shocks, which will fit well, but Typhon 6s springs are MUCH lighter than 3s springs. For smoothing out bumps at speed, this can be a good thing, but for jumping/bashing, stiffer is preferable. (Mojave front springs in front, and Kraton front springs for the rear are a popular choice.)

The Losi shocks aren't in Slick's shock thread, so I don't know how long they are. The length needs to fit your Big Rock.
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/...d-blx-4s-shock-information-and-upgrades.7413/

Run the Big Rock first. See how it performs. See if the durability holds up to your driving. Only then will you know what kind of performance changes you'd like to see and if you need more durable shocks.

Last edited:
If you haven't even run it yet, what is your basis of not liking them? You're looking to spend money without knowing what changes you'd like to see. The stock shocks perform very well. The problem is not performance, but durability. The shock shafts can snap or pull out with hard impact. But you haven't run them, so you don't know if this will be a problem. If you're not breaking shafts, there's little reason to upgrade. Most of the inexpensive alternatives will be downgrades.

The Hot Racing shock bodies re-use the stock shafts and other components. They are not an upgrade. The only thing you get is threaded adjustability. No increased performance or durability. (EDIT: You bought them already, I would return them)

The ZD Racing shocks have 3mm thick shafts just like stock. Plus, they are 10mm to 17mm longer than stock. This will significantly raise your center of gravity, tilt the car forward, and decrease handling performance.

The Proline Racing shocks are the right length, have wider 14mm shock bodies, and the shafts are thicker at 3.5mm. But they are expensive as hell. You can get 1/8 scale, Arrma 6s shocks for less from Jenny's. They are16mm bore with 4mm thick shock shafts.

Rob66 recommended Typhon shocks, which will fit well, but Typhon 6s springs are MUCH lighter than 3s springs. For smoothing out bumps at speed, this can be a good thing, but for jumping/bashing, stiffer is preferable. (Mojave front springs in front, and Kraton front springs for the rear are a popular choice.)

The Losi shocks aren't in Slick's shock thread, so I don't know how long they are. The length needs to fit your Big Rock.
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/...d-blx-4s-shock-information-and-upgrades.7413/

Run the Big Rock first. See how it performs. See if the durability holds up to your driving. Only then will you know what kind of performance changes you'd like to see and if you need more durable shocks.
The fact that the oem shock are leaking and out of oil brand new from the box tells me they are junk.
Also i get that the hot racing rc bodies use te same shaft and internals. But atleast their made out of aluminum and will have tolerences with less chance to leak

Last edited:
The fact that the oem shock are leaking and out of oil brand new from the box tells me they are junk.
Also i get that the hot racing rc bodies use te same shaft and internals. But atleast their made out of aluminum and will have tolerences with less chance to leak

Hi and welcome!

I have to go with @GRC the older versions did leak not a common issue with the new 3S line of rigs. The new ones are far better with seals and orings. Being low on the fluid is common and also the oils on the chassis and the rig are common for a new rig from the factory. If you are not a send-it guy like a Rich D. and RC Dude81 and have not run it....stay with the stock. In the south here I ran 42.5 all around and summer 60wt shock oil and it performed well for regular bash level.

Now if you really are saying the look of it...yes they are plastic and not very nice looking like the Typhon stuff and other metal shocks. It comes at a cost for that look as well.

First, find your bash style with this run, top off or change the shock fluid. I know you have made a purchase so maybe this will help the next newbie. Hard to know what the new shocks will feel or act like never have used the stock shocks to have a base of comparison from old to new.

Good luck and have fun!

Did first run today. The hot racing shock bodies work well. But one thing i have noticed is the spring preload is off. I have the adjuster near max and they are too soft

Did first run today. The hot racing shock bodies work well. But one thing i have noticed is the spring preload is off. I have the adjuster near max and they are too soft
I am not familiar with those shocks but even putting the Typhon or other shocks on you would want to match the F/R spring strength and length as close as stock.

So i have a few packs on these, and i am happy so far. I am going to try 50wt oil in them as there a little soft. I am not sending this thing to the moon off jumps, so i curious if i have shaft bending issues or not

Los amortiguadores ZD Racing tienen ejes de 3 mm de grosor como los originales. Además, son de 10 mm a 17 mm más largos que los originales. Esto elevará significativamente su centro de gravedad, inclinará el automóvil hacia adelante y disminuirá el rendimiento de manejo.

Los amortiguadores Proline Racing tienen la longitud correcta, tienen cuerpos de amortiguador más anchos de 14 mm y los ejes son más gruesos a 3,5 mm. Pero son caros como el infierno. Puede obtener amortiguadores Arrma 6s a escala 1/8 por menos en Jenny's. Tienen un diámetro interior de 16 mm con ejes de choque de 4 mm de espesor.

Rob66 recomendó amortiguadores Typhon, que encajarán bien, pero los resortes Typhon 6s son MUCHO más livianos que los resortes 3s. Para suavizar los baches a gran velocidad, esto puede ser algo bueno, pero para saltar/golpear, es preferible que sea más rígido. (Los resortes delanteros Mojave en el frente y los resortes delanteros Kraton en la parte trasera son una opción popular).

Los choques de Losi no están en el hilo de choque de Slick, así que no sé cuánto duran. La longitud debe adaptarse a su Big Rock.
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/importante-por favor-lea-arrma-6s-arrma-mega-4x4-blx-3s-and-blx-4s-shock-information-and-upgrades.7413/

Ejecute el Big Rock primero. Vea cómo funciona. Vea si la durabilidad se mantiene a la altura de su conducción. Solo entonces sabrá qué tipo de cambios de rendimiento le gustaría ver y si necesita amortiguadores más duraderos.
que buen consejo y que buen análisis lo tendré en cuenta para cuando rompa mia amortiguadores de Big rock👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Update on these.. stopped and got 50wt oil today. Tore them down cleaned them out and found a nice wad of aluminum from when they cut the threads. Didnt hurt any thing and at the price point of these i am not supprised. Any way got them full and bled, they rebound a 1/4in after i compress them, they are much better. But they still seem awfull soft . They compress and rebound fast and easy, way easyer than my rival mt10. Using racers edge oil, possible their weights are off?

IMG_20220317_180624859.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back