Big Rock Big Rock V3 engine install issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mR_bOOsT

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hi all, hoping someone can help.

I recently did a service on my big rock and for thr life of me, I can't slide the engine back into its place. No upgrades were made, just took out the spur to check its health and put it back together again. But can't get the engine to slide back into place.

Please help 🤦

20230505_071312.jpg

20230505_071259.jpg

That last bit can be difficult: you might have to rock the wheels a bit so the splines line up, then push the module back the last little bit. I need to do that most every time I remove a power module for maintenance or changing gears.

I've tried that several times, how hard should I be pressing? I don't want to break anything.

Sometimes you have to press pretty hard. I have the same issue. As Morrjr mentioned, those spines have to match up just right. You'll hear a click when it locks in place.

I've tried that several times, how hard should I be pressing? I don't want to break anything.

It can be a pain for my 3S rigs to this day....

The post above is what I do. I place the rig on the table, and as I slowly roll it back towards me and all 4 or the rear wheels are moving, I am pulling hard on the entire power module system until it finds the damn right spot in the input to slide in. Pull hard!

Make sure you remove all the dirt, trash, etc, in the bottom of the chassis and esp those slots the power module rest or slides into on the chassis.

Makes it a lot easier to lube up the tracks.i use olive oil which is good from keeping the composite plastic from drying out ..make sure your tracks are clean..no dirt or pebbles which will keep you from sliding the module in..try that

Make sure you remove all the dirt, trash, etc,
This ☝🏼 and I put a little red and tacky grease where that thing slides against the chassis. I have the same problem with my Outcast 4s V2.

After you lube the track tap the back of the module with a screw driver Handel or a small hammer lightly.from the motor side then on the other side . should slide in nice if the tracks are not bound up..I never have a issue works every time ..let us know how you make out
Sorry looks like lubing the tracks has already been mentioned..my bad parcou😁👍.
Hi all, hoping someone can help.

I recently did a service on my big rock and for thr life of me, I can't slide the engine back into its place. No upgrades were made, just took out the spur to check its health and put it back together again. But can't get the engine to slide back into place.

Please help 🤦

View attachment 297370

View attachment 297371
When you push back on the motor module make sure you lift up on that lift tab to lock it in place .if you don't lift it while your pushing ,it's just going to butt up against that little lip that it locks into and won't go flush .looks like you just need a tiny bit to go over .

Last edited:
Ok so the general consensus is that I just need to push hard and wobble the wheels.. Roger that 👍 I'll give it a go and update you. Thank you to everyone that sent through some advice.

It's with a heavy heart I report back no good. Tried absolutely everything. It's just not moving. I must have put it back together wrong somehow.. I have no idea how to fix this. Cleaned out the tracks and oiled them. Greased the gears. Moves the wheels back and forth while lifting and pushing the engine into place WHILE lifting the locking latch. NO GOOD 🤯 Just doesn't want to go.

20230505_142956.jpg

20230505_143009.jpg

The teeth have to line up. You can't just push it in and rock the wheels, because it'll just turn the slipper at the same time. Gotta try sliding it in, it won't go in. OK, now back it out a few mm so there's slack again, turn the wheels, and try again.

I've honestly tried. It moves the first bit then gets stuck in the second position as shown in the second photo of my first post.

Is there a foreign object stuck in the female splines on the slipper assembly? Worth checking.

If not, sometimes it just doesn't want to engage but if you sweet talk to it, it will eventually.

I don't see anything wrong with the tracks so that's not it .has to be like mentioned.have to play around with the input gear in and out untill they line up correctly..you don't need to lube that input .by the way.if anything it just collects dust and grime making it harder next time.they should be dry and clean

Hi I have a big rock and I lift the tab and hit it with a tool on both corners so it will inch in slowly it can take alot of abuse so hit it kinda hard

Hi I have a big rock and I lift the tab and hit it with a tool on both corners so it will inch in slowly it can take alot of abuse so hit it kinda hard
That approach might ruin the input gear .spline has to match up .forcing won't do any good.

Well when I do it I make sure all wheels are moving before I hit it as long as it's in the cup it's all good I've never had a problem

Been there. Time to take out the rear diff. It's 3 screws and a 1 minute job. Now match up slipper spline to input gear and see if they connect. Somethings wrong. When I ordered my metal input gears they fit very tight.much tighter than stock, but finally fit. Get rid of all that grease.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back