Binding diffs after swapping Infraction and Limitless

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dure16

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Infraction
  3. Limitless
  4. Kraton EXB
  5. Talion
  6. Typhon 6s
  7. Typhon TLR
I wanted faster gearing for my Limitless V1, so I swapped diffs and input gears with my Infraction V2.

The new gears in the Infraction are smooth as butter.

But the new gears in the Limitless bind. The crown gear and the input gear mesh smoothly for about 75% of a turn, but that last 25% binds pretty good. Same for both front and rear bulkheads. Shimming didn't seem to help. I can't see anything wrong. All gears were smooth in both cars before I started the swap.

Any ideas?

Shim the right side instead of the left, make sure bearings are fully seated into the bulkhead and no debris is behind. The large bearing will egg out the composite on a well used bulkhead, especially with speed running that creates excessive heat. If the input has play you’ll see it right away, just had my last composite bulkhead go bad due to that. Usually it’ll create a tooth slip however and not a bind

Shim the right side instead of the left, make sure bearings are fully seated into the bulkhead and no debris is behind. The large bearing will egg out the composite on a well used bulkhead, especially with speed running that creates excessive heat. If the input has play you’ll see it right away, just had my last composite bulkhead go bad due to that. Usually it’ll create a tooth slip however and not a bind
Wouldn’t shimming the right side push the gears closer together? I’d think that would make it bind worse. Great advice on the bulkhead. Thanks.
To add, on the side of that last 25%, tighten the diff cup, see if that might be enough.
Good idea, thanks.

Last edited:
Wouldn’t shimming the right side push the gears closer together? I’d think that would make it bind worse. Great advice on the bulkhead. Thanks.

Good idea, thanks.
On 6S arrma looking into the bulkhead the ring gear will be on the left side, any shims placed left of the bearing race will push the teeth closer to the input. If you have too much mesh I’d be removing any shim behind the input first, then shim the right diff case bearing next(uncommon). Something it out of concentricity if you’re getting oval or oblong mesh.

IMG_0545.jpeg

On 6S arrma looking into the bulkhead the ring gear will be on the left side, any shims placed left of the bearing race will push the teeth closer to the input. If you have too much mesh I’d be removing any shim behind the input first, then shim the right diff case bearing next(uncommon). Something it out of concentricity if you’re getting oval or oblong mesh.

View attachment 326383
Ah okay, we're speaking the same language. The crown is just on the opposite side in the on-road cars. Thanks.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back